cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese sidewinder wear plate

Lost_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a reese sidewinder on our fifth wheel. When we attached to the mounting brackets on the fifth wheel we didn't check for clearance between the turret and the mounting bracket wings. We had a steep grade to back into our camping site. We ended up bending one of the brackets and tore some of the wear plate. You can't just order a new wear plate. You have to order a whole repair kit at a price of $222!
My first question is, did we hurt the integrity of the bracket bending it? My second question is, does anybody have any idea of a comparable material that maybe I can make my own wear plate or any other alternative.
I'm almost thinking of bending the other bracket on the RV if I didn't think it would hurt the integrity of it all.
Thanks in advance if any of you have any ideas.
Bruce and Connie
The Lost Travellers
Bruce and Connie
2 REPLIES 2

Lost_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info Old-Biscuit. When we were searching for the part, we only came across the total replacement kit. I noticed they only had one in stock, so I went ahead and ordered it.
I'll also "modify" the mounting bracket so I won't have this issue again. I didn't want to have to raise the RV any because it sits good and level right where it is.
Again thanks.
Bruce and Connie
The Lost Travellers
Bruce and Connie

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Sidewinder Lower Wear Plate...$57

IF the 'bracket' you bent is the mounting bracket that pin box bolts onto you can 'modify' that w/o causing any issues

Any portion of the mounting bracket that hangs below pin box can be 'trimmed'----just cut it off

Before modifying (hitting truck bedrail)

After cutting off lower portions
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31