Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Do I need an equilizer hitch?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Do I need an equilizer hitch?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Small trailer, big truck. You should have no problem without a WD hitch. Drop it on the ball and go.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that we might have a jokester here, trying to find out how many of the weight police will advise that a one ton dually is not adequate to tow a rather smallish trailer without some kind of fancy hitch.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 1991 Prowler 15 footer back in the early 1990s. For it's size it was heavy. We didn't use a WD hitch and there were times when that thing got wild in a cross wind, etc.. Personally, I would always use whatever I need to stabilize the camper. The truck may be overkill but, that doesn't stop the trailer from wagging. Just get a Harbor Freight WD hitch. It's more than you need and will do a good job. Also, there's the issue of civil liability if you don't take reasonable measures to keep that puppy tied to your truck.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If one needs a fancy hitch to tame down a "wild puppy", then they need to examine the setup and the geometry of the truck trailer combo. Trailers are not inherently sway machines. Sure, a high wind can buffet a semi-trailer or 747. I purchase tow vehicles with the capacity to handle trailers with nothing more than a simple ball mount. Just like the folks who deliver lightweight trailers.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Do I need an equilizer hitch?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS