Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Social security question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Social security question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
NanciL

Bakersville, NC,/Key Largo FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just checked on line and I received a decent increase, while my wife's stayed the exact same.
We tried to find out why on line and got a reply that we would be contacted back by a person in "15 minutes". We never got a call back.

Have any of you other folks checked and found that the spouse, (one or the other) didn't get a raise as we were told we would get.?

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Medicare went up a few years ago but your SS payment wasn’t reduced. It was called “hold harmless”. As SS went up more and more of that payment was applied to MC. When you reach the point of paying the full amount of MC, then you will get the full amount of SS. Of course we don’t know the future and this nonsense might start all over again.

doxiemom11

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same with my husbands. He is old enough he has medicare, I am under 65 so no premium comes out of my benefit for that. His benefit has gone up, however he is not paying at much as new medicare recipients for his coverage, therefore, any increase he receives still goes to paying for medicare premiums until such time as he pays the current going premium. Since he started medicare, he has never has his "take home" amount go up, but the gross has gone up.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the last few years the "increase" has been offset by an increase in medicare premiums which despite what some pot-lickers say you still have to pay

Thus those on the lower end of Social Security get nothing where as those of us who get more... Well. We get something.

Since SS is tied to the cost of living .. Don't complain if the increase is small.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife is in that situation.

As noted, due to the low cost of living increases in the past five years, some people would have had a decrease in their social security payment as the increases in Medicare from the Part D legislation were implemented.

So they ended up with a negative raise. Those had to be balanced out and most folks should be about even soon. As an age 62 SS recipient, I got nice though small increases the past three years. As a age 70 recipient my wife got no net increase in 2016 & 2017 and $3 per month this year.

It is an excellent example of how delayed implementation of chances in laws has unintended consequences. Back 11-12 years ago when the law was passed, delaying full implementation was ‘expected’ to ensure no negative impact or those then retired or to retire soon.

Today, few folks realize that the impact they are seeing comes from the past.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I both got our 2.1%, more or less, for 2018. My increase covered the increase in Medicare Part B and D but my wife's did not so we ended up getting a bit less overall than 2017. However, I took a look at our total premiums for the Medicare Parts B and D and our supplement and our monthly premiums were about $662 per month on average. Based on what is going on with the private insurance market, it seems like this is a bit of a bargain. I got our notice from SS around the middle of December in the mail. Did you not get that notice?

John A. Lichty

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jalichty wrote:

However, I took a look at our total premiums for the Medicare Parts B and D and our supplement and our monthly premiums were about $662 per month on average. Based on what is going on with the private insurance market, it seems like this is a bit of a bargain.

Of course the private insurance companies didn't take about 2.9% of your wages for the past 50 years.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

jalichty wrote:

However, I took a look at our total premiums for the Medicare Parts B and D and our supplement and our monthly premiums were about $662 per month on average. Based on what is going on with the private insurance market, it seems like this is a bit of a bargain.

Of course the private insurance companies didn't take about 2.9% of your wages for the past 50 years.

Yes, absolutely Lynnmore - many folks seem to think Medicare is free health care, and not that we've paid into it our entire working lives and still pay even after retired, every month. Same thing with Vets benefits - VA clinics are not free, veterans earned that health care with service to our country and freedoms we enjoy today.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW declined part B, but signed up for Part A, since A is free. Wife has health insurance from me, at less cost than the B premium.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Social security question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS