cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

is tow dolly best to pull a 2016 ford fiesta with a class c

jwalker21
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for an easy/quick/cheap way to transport our 2016 ford fiesta behind our Class c motor home. How do I know what to buy, how to use it. A tow dolly has been suggested. Where do I start. We are a senior couple and not too handy. Looking for maybe a used one??
6 REPLIES 6

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
The 2016 Fiesta auto transmission Or manual can be towed 4 down except the ST model.

The Fiesta weighs in at around 2,600 lb. Add a tow dolly and you will be over 3,000 lb. 4 down you don't have to worry about a place to store a dolly.

A used dolly will be a cheaper way to go. But hook up and unhook times will be longer.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
A Fiesta will pull great on even the most basic tow dolly. The ACME is the easiest dolly to manually move around. As mentioned, a good tow bar is the easiest option, once the baseplates are installed.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
A baseplate and towbar will be immensely easier and less weight.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a tow dolly behind a class c. Honda Accord is front wheel drive. Donโ€™t know what your Fiesta is but needs to be front wheel drive or standard shift to go on a dolly. I doubt you want to deal with detaching drive shaft.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Tow MAX that we bought used with after market heavy duty straps, a spare tire, and wheel-jack for $700. We have replaced the original tires but have had excellent service from it. We tow a KIA Soul behind a B+. We are in our late 70's and we can load in less than 20 minutes, unload in 10. One of us does have to lie on the ground and reach under the car to attach the chains to the axle. We carry a pad for this and we are both able to do it. We follow a check list and help each other but each of us has hooked up and unhooked by ourselves. Let me know if you need more information. lizzie

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
"Best"??
IMO, there is no "best", there is only personal preference.
I have used a dolly to tow our PT Cruiser. It worked just fine, no problems.
But, dummy that I am, I sold it because it didn't have brakes. Since then, I have discovered that good used steerable dollys with brakes are pretty scarce around here, Shucks, good used dollys without brakes are few and far between.
I also towed Jeeps and a Dodge Ram 1500 with towbars. On the Jeeps I had a 5K capacity fixed arm towbar that worked great. For the Dodge, I wanted a 6K capacity towbar, and I found a good used Roadmaster Stowmaster telescoping unit.
Supposedly, the telescoping bars are better than the fixed arm. I never could see any advantage.
Good luck finding a good used dolly. Keep a close eye on your local Craigslist, and be sure to check in nearby areas as well.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"