cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door latch problems

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
The door latch on my new 5th wheel is very hard to close, especially after setting up and leveling in a camp spot. When I get it home or to my dealer, it seems to close much easier. My dealer says it's fine and no repair is needed. I guess things get tweaked a little when not in a completely level spot. Looking at it, there isn't much adjustment in the striker, it's all the way out already.
Question is, does anyone know of a replacement latch that offers more adjustment or easier operation? Has anyone ever adapted a regular house door latch with a knob? I gotta do something...DW is getting PO'd every time she slams it and it won't latch.
13 REPLIES 13

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to look at the reveal between the door and frame with both the rig leveled and not leveled. The dummies in the factory get paid by how many doors they install, not by if they're installed correctly. Most were probably taking orders at Burger King the week before they were installing doors.

On my current 17 Rockwood, and the previous 13 Keystone I had to pop the trim, remove the screws, and reset the latch side of the jamb on the entry doors. They just slap them in and pay no attention to proper alignment most of the time.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had to move the strike plate up a little too. Assumed that the OP had already checked and done all the small/easy fixes:)

Then I looked at the door frame from inside and saw the light - no, I was sober, it just was the crack around door frame that the trim didn't cover. Took some caulk to it.

Then added an extra weather strip on the screen door where it was TOO much of the gap.

Then - the drawers held together with staples like those you use on paper, then - the shower head screws barely holding in 1/8" plywood as if anchors or backing has not been invented yet. Etc etc, ad infinitum.

Don't get me started...

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
I used my dremel to make the hole correct on my striker, plus I removed a little wood behind it because the dead bolt wasn't going all the way in.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jammed door - bad leveling.
Or sometimes it is "too good", with jacks tighten up too much in order to get the perfect level. Don't over-tighten. Try lowering some jacks, heck with that perfect level.

These barns on wheels are flimsy, the box gets distorted, door frame gets out off shape by fraction of inch.

It can also be that the door itself is warped, though this is more typical to screen door.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
Spraying with
Silicone will help some but it's mostly just the nature of the beast. You might want to stop slamming it.

please tell my wife this.....

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similar issue on ours. I pulled of the striker plate and flattened it out some with hammer. Closes much easier now.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
IBcarguy wrote:
Just use the landing gear for up/down and 2x8 wood pads under tires to level side to side if needed.

Yes, slamming the door only makes it worse. Pulling the small finger tab will close it but it's not easy because it's pretty small.

How hard do you crank up on the rear levelers??

Just until I hear the motor labor slightly.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
,7 1/2 years traveling in our previous 5 the wheel sometimes it was difficult to close the door after a day of travel even if it was level. The next morning all was well. Just the way it is.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
IBcarguy wrote:
Just use the landing gear for up/down and 2x8 wood pads under tires to level side to side if needed.

Yes, slamming the door only makes it worse. Pulling the small finger tab will close it but it's not easy because it's pretty small.

How hard do you crank up on the rear levelers??
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Spraying with
Silicone will help some but it's mostly just the nature of the beast. You might want to stop slamming it.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
How are you leveling?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We never slam our door. To close the door I pull on the handle, close the door, release the handle and push on the door to latch it completely.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)