Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jasper, NP to Vancouver, BC and Points Between

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer

Jasper NP to Vancouver
We are planning our first trip to BC in June 18. We have reservations for 10 days in Banff and 7 days in Jasper. We have about 18 days before reservations at Saltcreek in Olympia NP, Wa. I’m looking for recommendations on other places to go and things to do between Jasper NP and Vancouver, BC. We like to hike, kayak and sightsee. Campground suggestions would be helpful too. We like boondocking in neat neat places for a couple of days at the time too.

Also, looking for recommendations on somewhere to spend July 4th holiday in the area. I understand July 1 is a similar Holiday for Canadians so a reservation may be necessary.

Finally, we would like to visit Vancouver on the way back down to the states so we are looking for CG suggestions for the Vancouver area.

Thanks everyone.
2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift
8 REPLIES 8

MikeInSeattle
Explorer
Explorer
Wells Grey PP was beautiful. The KOA there is very nice. Be aware that the areas between Jasper and Wells Grey in northern BC are pretty remote so sometimes groceries are kind of limited. Hwy 5 the Coquahalla (spelling?) was a beautiful drive. Penticton and Kelowna were beautiful. There is a rail trail (Kettle Valley Trail) that goes over amazing trestles that were built in the 1800's with amazing views of the Lake. We stayed at Bear Creek Provincial Park in Kelowna and liked it. Although most Provincial Parks are dry camping. Have stayed in BC a few times over July 1 and haven't really had problems finding spots.

From there if you skip Vancouver and the west side of BC it is an amazing drive over the North Cascades Hwy 20 in Washington. Roslyn is a great town. Whidbey Island has Deception Pass State Park, or Fort Ebbey which is a WWII gun emplacement. Great sea kayaking there. Fort Flagler or Fort Worden on the peninsula near Olympic NP are also good. Lastly, not sure if you are going out the coast but Quileute Beach Resort has great RV spots right on the ocean. In the spring you can see whales from your trailer. Cape Disappointment is also another great spot which is just over the bridge from Astoria.

We loved Asheville when we visited. I think you will really like Western US/Canada - similar vibe.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I should also say, that the route down to New Denver, Silverton which are on Slocan Lake are a beautiful place for Kayaking and hiking. There is a campground in both Silverton and New Denver which has sites right in the lake shore. There are only three sites on the shore line in Silverton with I’m going to say 10 to 15 sites on the lake shore in New Denver. If you here before July 1st you would most likely be one of only a few people camping there. However a few days before July 1st thencampgounds everywhere in B.C. will fill up. There is also Kootenay Lake over the hump from New Denver at Kaslo where you can again camp and kayak.
There are also a couple of small mountain lakes up the hump between New Denver and Kaslo, the last time we paddled around, we really just sat and watched the wildlife come down to the lakes edge.
So many options.
Have a great time
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are interested in canoe/kayak camping Wells Gray has some good options. Wells Gray is also good for waterfalls.

If taking Hwy 1, there are number of short hikes along the highway west of the Rogers Pass stop.

The sights in Yoho Nat Park are close enough to Lake Louise that you can see them as a side trip while headed north to Jasper.

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Sidehillsoup great detail, thank you.
2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
following
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Mike@Asheville wrote:
Also, looking for recommendations on somewhere to spend July 4th holiday in the area. I understand July 1 is a similar Holiday for Canadians so a reservation may be necessary.

Yes it's a very busy week. You need to make reservations NOW.

SideHillSoup makes some good recommendations. We did the route he recommnds from Yoho past Glacier NP to Revelstoke and headed south to Summit Lake PP. Definitely worth getting a reservation along the shore if possible.

One of the highlight hikes of our trip last summer was Gimli Ridge in Valhalla PP. Long, but not difficult dirt road to get to the trailhead and nearly 10 km to the pass, but oh so worth it. We were camped at Summit Lake when we did this hike, so it was over 2 hours of driving each way. But did I say well worth it?

The Okanagan Valley is an oasis between the big mountain ranges to the east and west. We spend several days there in different locations.

If you approach Vancouver from Whistler, consider taking the Joffre Lakes trail, although it is getting real popular. Lots of hiking if you base yourself out of Pemberton or Whistler.

If you aren't already too late for your schedule, look at camping and Porteau Cove north of Vancouver and driving into the city from there. Great CG right on Howe Sound. But it books almost instantly as reservations open.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
First off, I’m betting your starting in Banff and heading North to Jasper is that correct?
If so when you finish in Jasper, double back down the Ice Field Parkway to Lake Louise. You will be amazed at what new things you will see on the return trip.
Google places and things I mention for more info.
Once at Lake Louise take then take Hwy 1 west to Revelstoke. After Lake Louise will come on a pull off on the right hand side of the Hwy for the CPR Spiral Tunnel. The are between Lake Louise and Revelstoke is rich in early railway history. At Field BC ( small village) stop at the visitors centre one of the best around. Between LL and Golden yournyraveling on Hwy 1 going over the Kicking Horse Pass.
Travel through Golden and on Revelstoke over Rogers Pass. Near the summit there is a visitors Center stop in. Another huge railways history area is the Rogers Pass.
In Revelstoke checkout the railway Museum.
Once you leave Revelstoke just after you cross the bridge on Hwy 1 west there is a small Hwy jct with Hwy 23 south towards Nakusp. About 40/45 minutes south you will come to the Galena Shelter Bay ferry across the Upper Arrow Lakes ( Columbia River reservoir at Castlegar 100 miles south) The ferry is free and your RV will be fine going across it, I’ve pulled countless 5th wheels over the years, just take your time getting on and off.
Once off the Ferry climb the hill to about 1/2 - 3/4 mile to the jct with Hwy 23 and Hwy 31 towards Trout Lake. It’s about a 30 minute drive some sections are gravel, but very well maintained and hundreds of people go here in RV’s just like yours. Once at Trout lake take the first right and follow it to the west end of the lake. The time of year your get there, you should be able to find a free spot to camp on the shores of the lake. However by July 1st it will be crowded so you may have to use the other campground which is just on the edge of town.
Once your finished at Trout Lake back track towards the ferry and follow Hwy 23 to Nakusp. About 10 minutes from the ferry going towards Nakusp there is a place called Halcyon Hot Springs, stop in for a dip and or lunch, or they have a small campground that you can stay at if you like
Auspices also has a Hot Springs called Nakusp Hot Springs, they also have a small campground and it is about a 20 minute drive up a windy mountain road to the Hot Springs. That road is on the left hand side as you enter Nakusp, with large signs showing the way.
Drive into down town Nakusp and have a coffee on one of the small coffee shops on the main Street and take a walk down the lakeside walking path, we love that walk.
Leave Nakusp and Head south on Hwy 6 towards New Denver. About 14 Kim’s out of Nakusp is Summit Lake, a great place to Kayak as well there are tow campgrounds, one private Three Islands Resort the other BC Parks ( Summit Lake Provincial Park.
I sent you this way for the Kayaking and a side trip to New Denver, Silverton, Sandon, Kaslo in your toad. Lots of hi king trails around this entire area. Also google Idaho Peak BC and check it out on YouTube make sure you put in Idaho Peak BC, there is a guy that you can hire to drive you to the trail head for the hike to the summit, but checkout in New Denver at any store to see if the trail is open yet, because sometimes the snow is to deep and it won’t be open until mid July, but it should be open.
Double back the 14 Kim’s to Nakusp and take Hwy 6 south towards Vernon.
NOTE: Hwy 6 kinda makes a big U shaped turn from New Denver north to Nakusp and then south Burton on the way to Vernon and the Okanogon Valley. I just wanted to let you know what I have you headed south on the same road going to different towns.
Again your will cross the Arrow Lakes ( Columbia River) on another free ferry and follow the Hwy to Vernon. This road has a few more turns and a few more hills, nothing “death defying, white knuckle” as my uncle from the Canadian prairies your used to say.
Just after getting off the Ferry on the west side ( Needles) about 8 or 10 Kms is a road on the left hand side that leads to Edgewood. This is a beautiful drive and the two. Is about the same size as Field. They have a small village operated campground on the shores of the Arrow Lakes. There are three big spots where you can park, don’t go down the dirt road into the trees your to big, stay up on the main area where the boat launch is. This is another great place to kayak , and you most likely won’t see another boat on the lake .
Then after here travel back to Hwy 6 and follow it into Vernon and the Okanogon Valley. He’d south on Hwy 97 towards Kelowna, Penticton Oliver and Osoyoos. This enter valley is a huge wine making area, with many tours available. Best bet would be to stay in Osoyoos and get at our bus from there. Also the Kayaking would be great on the lake there.
My neighbours stay here when they go to Osoyoos
http://www.campingosoyoos.com/
From Osoyoos you can continue on Hwy 97 south into Wash state, which is about 2miles south, and follow it down to Hwy I-90 west towards Seattle or pick a different route there are lots.
What ever you decide, have fun
Soup.
PS: my friends from Australia stayed at the end of Trout lake last year about two weeks before you would be there, and they had the entire parking area to them selves. Also there are no stores gas etc there, there is a store, but seams every time I go to it, it’s not open.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped at Clearwater BC for a few days and visited Wells Gray Provincial park there. Worth the visit. I booked at Alpine Meadows Resort outside Clearwater. To get there need to drive mountain road with switchbacks. Next time I would stay at KOA in town. The drive down highway 5 is scenic and not crowded. In Vancouver I stayed at Burnaby Cariboo RV Park. Clean and pleasant. was able to tour the area from there.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA