cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wiring existing 110 outlet to inverter.

wazdafuz
Explorer
Explorer
We recently replaced our rv refrigerator with a residential model. The existing 110 outlet is not connected to run off of the inverter. I am not sure how to change / modify the wiring to run the new frig off the inverter. I have a 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 37GL. Looking for help and instructions.
9 REPLIES 9

htwheelz67
Explorer
Explorer
I did this too but bought this PSW inverterinverter you have to run your ac power into it and then out, I cut and used the same outlet for my fridge but also added an outlet in my cargo compartment and one to run my TV and directv and other things via a power strip. I tested it for 5 days boondocking, I have 2 6v costco batts, 200 watt solar and the only time I got low on juice was when I ran the furnace all night and the inverter beeps and wakes you up, I ran the genny for about 30 mins and it charged up till morning. I'm running a whirlpool 11 cu ft fridge, it blows the dometic RV fridge away and holds much more and it gets cold in about an hour and now i have an icemaker too. When you plug into shore power or run the genny it switches and when shore/genny power cuts off it goes instantly back to inverter.

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-8080915-PROwatt-Transfer-Switch/dp/B004S5Y158
I use this xantrex auto transfer switch for my fridge. The circuit that feeds to my fridge also powers other outlets, which is handy.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wazdafuz wrote:
We recently replaced our rv refrigerator with a residential model. The existing 110 outlet is not connected to run off of the inverter. I am not sure how to change / modify the wiring to run the new frig off the inverter. I have a 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 37GL. Looking for help and instructions.
What is the inverter make and model?
How is the inverter wired now?
Basically you need to move the fridge branch circuit to the inverter subpanel or add a small transfer switch.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Find out EVERYTHING that is on the fridge 110v circuit. You might find a few plugs etc that would be handy to run off your inverter. Otherwise you will have to run a new 110v line from the inverter to the fridge area with a new plug. When I did my solar/inverter setup I left the fridge on its 110v line as I wanted the tv/stereo/plugs to run off the inverter. The bonus is now that I have 400w of solar I let my fridge run on the inverter going down the road vs LP. Should I be dedicated dry camping I just need to switch the fridge to LP vs AUTO so it wont run my batts down at night.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Chad_Heiser
Explorer
Explorer
I have both a whole house inverter and a dedicated inverter for my refrigerator. I installed a Magnum Energy 15 amp transfer switch for the small inverter so it could supply power to the refrigerator outlet or main power could pass through and supply power to the same outlet. In my opinion it is easier than running a whole new circuit. The transfer switch will get installed next to or behind the main power panel. The existing wire from the breaker controlling the refrigerator circuit will get moved from the main power panel to the transfer switch. A new short jumper wire will be added between the transfer switch and the circuit breaker from which you just removed the wire. Then plug the transfer switch into the inverter (this may require an extension cord depending on where your inverter is located). By doing it this way, there is no need to fish new wire to the back of the refrigerator and no need to move the refrigerator plug between receptacles depending on which power source you want to use. The only thing that has to be fished is the extension cord between the transfer switch and the built in receptacle on the inverter.

Here is the transfer switch I used: http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagDocs/64-0064-Rev-A-CSW-TS15-Web.pdf

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I just added separate circuits also. Much easier and works well.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Add a 15 amp transfer switch where the default wiring is powered by the inverter. Then when plugged into shore power the fridge will be powered bypassing the inverter.

I did this except I wanted to power the TV and charge cell phones, fridge runs on propane.

Here my post on the transfer switch and inverter install.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Find out which breaker is for that outlet. Find out which breakers are on the inverter already. Move the wire from the existing breaker to one of the circuits powered by the inverter.

Or

Add a 15 amp transfer switch where the default wiring is powered by the inverter. Then when plugged into shore power the fridge will be powered bypassing the inverter.

I choose to power the entire rv (other than the converter) from the inverter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
the best thing to do
is just run a new circuit from the inverter to behind the fridge and mount a new outlet, that is what i did

other wise put the whole house on the inverter

trying to 'break out' the fridge circuit from the power center breakers and re-wire to the inverter, will still require wire from the inverter to the that circuit and a junction box to connect the circuits together
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s