cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone with info about working Henry Ford museum?

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Just beginning to wonder about working at Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, Mi sometime soon. Anyone with any info about what it is like or the area?
Have done just a small look on Internet about it. Pretty open on the timing but need something to do and I love history!
Thanks, Nancy
9 REPLIES 9

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO The Wayne County Fairfgrounds CG in Belleville is the closest and best to the Henry Ford.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Just thinking a little further through...Are you anticipating a seasonal gig or a long-term location? I ask because I'm not sure where you'd find year-round services for an RV in Michigan.

Harbortown in Monroe is open year round but it's a good distance away. Nice place but not cheap and there are limited winter sites kept open, so if you will stay past Oct, you may still need it.

I would have no safety concerns about inside the facilities but the surrounding area is marginal. Not horrible but away from Michigan Ave, it can get sketchy. If you are just going from the campground to the facilities and maybe stopping for the occasional shwarma sandwich, I wouldn't worry about it.

There really isn't much of anything in terms of campgrounds in the immediate vicinity of Detroit and the burbs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Matt. I may do that as I get further in my quest. Would probably just work and pay for a campsite.
Just need to do something interesting for a while...

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Both my son and his MIL work in the museum complex, I volunteered there and my wife was a docent when the kids were young. I don't believe that they have any work-camper program, but I could be wrong on that. I would never have looked.

The others are all right about there not being close by campgrounds. If you need more local knowledge, send a PM, I am here a lot.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Just seasonal, thanks.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Just thinking a little further through...Are you anticipating a seasonal gig or a long-term location? I ask because I'm not sure where you'd find year-round services for an RV in Michigan.

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the info and links.
I appreciate having a first hand account as well.
Open to more thoughts, thanks.
Nancy

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in metro Detroit for 12.5 years and still camp there for a week every summer. Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum are in Dearborn, west of the city. The area is not nearly what is often depicted as the problematic portions of Detroit. Furthermore, the museum area itself is highly insulated from the surrounding area, so I would have no safety concerns, whatsoever, about working there. I don't know how employment works on the two museums, but it is a very interesting site. We've taken our kids there a number of times, and they especially love Greenfield Village.

The bigger challenge would be camping. As Triker noted, Ypsilanti very well may be the closest site. There are more...a couple in Monroe, Haas Lake in New Hudson, and then more as you get into northern Oakland County. The problem is that these are all 45-60 minutes away, without accounting for traffic. If you are only planning to work a couple days a week, it would be workable. But, for a 5-day a week job, it could be a lot of commuting.

If you did go, and were only working part time, I'd look hard at some of the Oakland County options. It is a nice area to live and gives you readier access to central and northern MI.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Dearborn Crime rate ๐Ÿ˜ž

Nearest Campground
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am