Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Why are there so few Fr.E.D.?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Why are there so few Fr.E.D.?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been looking at Class As lately, more out of curiosity than anything. Why don't manufacturers offer more diesels in the front engine chassis? Seems like it would be a win/win other than price but at the price the manufacturers ask for some of these another $10k would be a drop in the hat.

I don't know much about the chassis suppliers but I'm guessing the chassis aren't built by Ford/GM/ or Ram and maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway just my winter wonderin going on, thanks.

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GWolfe wrote:

Been looking at Class As lately, more out of curiosity than anything. Why don't manufacturers offer more diesels in the front engine chassis? Seems like it would be a win/win other than price but at the price the manufacturers ask for some of these another $10k would be a drop in the hat.

I don't know much about the chassis suppliers but I'm guessing the chassis aren't built by Ford/GM/ or Ram and maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway just my winter wonderin going on, thanks.

It all about noise - nobody would want to sit over a diesel engine - the lack of noise was a main reason we traded in our Class A gasser on the diesel

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
330 Campgrounds,74K miles driven in our motor homes and 1580 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noise, engine hatch area, loss of cross storage space and door location are my concerns with front engine MH's. To be clear my front door and steps are located at the PS foot area and hence take very little additional wall space.

But of course there are also advantages.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 CR-V and 2014 Grand Cherokee

Bob

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If noise was the main issue, they would never sell a diesel powered pick up truck. The newer engines are quiet. Even the newer gas powered RV's are quieter than they were a few years ago.
On my gasser, my front storage area is a pass thru as are two other basement compartments.

GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like with the latest batch of diesels and how quiet they are the noise thing wouldn't be as big of deal. In the sub 30' MH all you can get is gas front engine except in the Sprinter(?) chassis. I'd like a 24'-28' model with a decent tow rating, 7-8k, that could climb a mountain pass without too much struggle and an exhaust brake for going down the other side.

Wouldn't the storage space you loose in the front be gained in the back?

Thanks for your replies, just trying to educate myself.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GWolfe wrote:

Wouldn't the storage space you loose in the front be gained in the back?
Yes, placement of all of the equipment determines the storage space.

Best to look at individual rigs and what's available inside and out and your type of travel.

For us with extended summer travel pass through storage with 18" vertical clearance is desirable.

Interesting posts as outside storage is usually not a selling factor. It's the inside wow factor.

dalsn1

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Price

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The main chassis supplier for gas class A motorhomes is Ford, and they don't offer a diesel version.

I rather doubt there would be as much of a performance difference between the gas and the diesel version if they did offer one as some here would assume. It's unlikely that the diesel would be a lot more powerful, though it would presumably run at a lower RPM (and, of course, have a higher torque at that RPM to get the same power) and so sound different. Being turbocharged, it would also not lose power at altitude to anywhere near the degree that the normally aspirated gas engines do. On the other hand, the diesel would likely weigh more.

In my opinion, the main advantages of rear engine diesel motorhomes have little if anything to do with the diesel part and a great deal more to do with the rear engine (and air suspension/brake) parts. One might equally well ask why rear engine gas motorhomes are so rare.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noise
Diesel pickup has the engine in front of the driver
Not between the driver and passenger, like a Fred

OP, look at Super C , built on diesel truck cab, with engine out front

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Even the newer gas powered RV's are quieter than they were a few years ago.

Maybe you haven't driven a new Ford gasser with V10 up a hill, they are **** noisy!!

Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Why are there so few Fr.E.D.?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS