cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 Desktop ??

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Ever since the Windows 10 upgrade, I cannot arrange my desktop icons and have them stay where I put them for over two weeks.. I have searched the inet numerous times for a solution to this problem and tried everything with no luck.. Both the auto arrange and arrange to grid and turned off.. Anyone else found a solution to this annoying problem that is driving the DW and myself crazy...
21 REPLIES 21

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
sherlock62 wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Thanks sherlock62. I had to unpin the white rectangle first but then re pin worked perfectly.

Good to hear, Joe.
Want to know what's really funny? My DW is the primary Quicken user. She said to me this morning "WHAT HAPPENED TO QUICKEN?" She was looking for the white rectangle and didn't even see the "Q". I guess I should have told her I fixed it.

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Thanks sherlock62. I had to unpin the white rectangle first but then re pin worked perfectly.

Good to hear, Joe.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
The only problem I've had with W10 is when I recently installed the latest version of Quicken, the icon on the taskbar changed from the "Q" to a blank rectangle and I can't figure out how to restore it. (I'm not going to reinstall Quicken just for that).

Joe, Go to the folder named "Program Files x86" In that folder look for a folder named "Quicken". In the Quicken folder look for a file named "qw". You will see it has a red "Q" icon. Right mouse click on that qw and click on "Pin to Start". That will give you the Quicken program icon/tile in Start. Now, you can right mouse click that icon/tile in Start,then click on more and the select add to task bar. This will give you the Quicken program icon on your task bar. Do delete the "blank icon" you mentioned on the task bar.

Another way to get you task bar icon, is to go to Start, "All Apps" and look for Quicken. Click on the Quicken folder and then right mouse click on the Quicken icon and select pin to task bar / pin to start.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The only problem I've had with W10 is when I recently installed the latest version of Quicken, the icon on the taskbar changed from the "Q" to a blank rectangle and I can't figure out how to restore it. (I'm not going to reinstall Quicken just for that).

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I have three PCs/laptops running Windows 10 (latest version) and have never experienced desktop icons being moved. I agree with others that suggest something other than Windows is involved.

I also agree that switching to Apple just moves one into a more restrictive and costly environment.

I found the solution is using Microsoft only as an application platform and using other sources for all applications. There are numerous alternatives to the various Microsoft apps and most of them are free.

To poster the that is tied to Windows for taxes, I switched from Turbotax to Credit Karma last year and it worked fine. It's free and detached from any dependence on Windows. I have seen the usual worries that it exposes one's data but so does Turbotax, or your local tax preparation service.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Right click the desktop, and select Display Settings. Click Display. Under Scale and Layout, make sure size of text, apps, etc is set to 100%. If you use a higher setting so your icons will be larger--like I do--you'll just have to get used to Windows re-arranging your icons.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 laptops and 2 desktops that have been upgraded to windows 10 , no problems. range from 12 to 1 year old. Some antivirus programs can slow upgrades and patches to a crawl.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ve found I can do 95% of what I need on a daily basis on my iPhone 8 Plus or my iPad Pro. I have moved just about everything off my Windows Surface, and if I can do my taxes online instead of Windows based software Iโ€™ll be off it totally. The main item holding me back was I used a good bit of Excel files but I have migrated them to IOS Numbers or quit using the ones that wouldnโ€™t convert. After some 30+ years of Windows it takes some rethinking of not only how to do something or do I really need to do the way I was. But an old dog can learn new things.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
look for a program called desktop restore, greatest program ever

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
Windows doesn't move icons on it's own - why would it, what would that accomplish?

Either someone else using the computer is messing with you, or you have some sort of weird malware that is moving your icons - maybe some sort of remote control exploit.

Every version of Windows I've used has moved them around, usually when the screen resolution changed or glitched. It's worse on laptops when the docking station monitors are a different resolution than the laptop screen.

I've always wanted a native "restore icons" or a icon profile per resolution but Windows never provided one.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Try this and see if it help.

Right mouse click on your desktop (not on any icons), Opens a dialogue box. Select "Display Settings" (second from the bottom).

On the "Display" window, change the "Scale and layout" ... Change the size of text apps, and other items ... from 100% to something else.

Close and reboot. See if that helps.

If it does, then repeat by putting it back on 100 percent (although I like the 125 percent setting better, it's easier on the eyes). Try it, see if that helps. If not, you've not lost anything.

Make sure the "View" (right click on desktop) does not have "Arrange icons to Grid" or "Auto arrange icons" checked too.

LMickey
Explorer
Explorer
When Windows 10 messes up my desktop icons, I use Icon Shepard. Free, fast and easy to use. Just tell it to "Restore icons".

https://www.winability.com/icon-shepherd/
2000 3550BSL Rexhall Aerbus
2002 Chevy Malibu Toad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:
I gave up. I backed up the data, wiped the drive and re-installed 7. Dumbest upgrade ever

That'll show em! Forget the model T, I'm perfectly happy driving my horse.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed