Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: What size and type RV do you use to full-time?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> What size and type RV do you use to full-time?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi valhalla360,

-5 f is shirtsleeve weather. Heating the space is not the issue. Let's try to bring that slide in at -40.

Question: Where is it -40 degrees?
Answer: Nowhere that I will ever be.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We full-timed and traveled constantly. Our first choice was always public parks or boondocking on remote public lands. We stayed in many national parks, national forest campgrounds, BLM and forest service lands plus city and county parks.

We had absolutely no problems with our 33' 5th wheel for 8 yr. and our 40' motorhome for 8 years. We've stayed in the same places. Yes, you can even go to Grand Teton Nat'l Park, Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mtn., etc. with a 40' motorhome.

Get what you'll feel most comfortable living in. The one thing we really disliked with the 5th wheel was driving the big truck around. We much preferred the Jeep and motorhome combo and the Jeep gave us unlimited fun exploring the backcountry narrow, rocky roads and mountains.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2oldman

Farmington NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

-5 f is shirtsleeve weather
At -5 I couldn't jog because it would freeze my lungs.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 01:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi valhalla360,

-5 f is shirtsleeve weather. Heating the space is not the issue. Let's try to bring that slide in at -40.

valhalla360 wrote:

Don't buy the argument that you can't go into cold weather areas with slides. We have been down to -5F and the furnace kept up (it did use a lot of propane but so will a no-slide RV). The space lost is just too much to give up.

That's why they put wheels on them, so you don't have to be where it's -40F.

Our experience with -5F was due to freak record cold in New Mexico. 2 days later, it warmed up, we pulled the slides in and were on our way. We could have pulled them in at -5F but didn't want to go on the roads in icy conditions and didn't have anything pressing.

Most people talking about cold weather camping won't see anything worse than the teens. If you want to spend winter in the arctic circle, the rules change but very few actually do that and it's not relevant to the typical cold weather camping question.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We full timed for two years and traveled all over the country.

The overwhelming majority of full timers where either large Class A's (35-40 feet) or large 5ers. We had a 38 foot diesel pusher with a Jeep in tow.

Smaller rigs are easier to drive or tow, but, as a full timer, you spend a lot of time indoors and a little extra space goes a long ways..

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

jpbuch9309

United states of america

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We LIVE full time in a 5th Starcraft Solstice 377rden with five slides and it is just me my wife and two medium size dogs in TX and we were actually talking about it being too big one of the slides is a third couch. Remember your first RV is the learner the second is the one you want.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better to work hard on your research and buy your 2nd RV 1st. You will save a ton of money!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

aviator

America the Beautiful

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

45 foot diesel coach, it is now 10 years old and still looks and operates as near new. Marble floors and shower, granite counter tops, dual vanity, king sleep number bed, stacked washer and dryer and beautiful solid wood cabinetry. We enjoy the room and the facilities it provides. Sure there are parks we won't fit in, but there are many that we do. We plan and go where we want, we have not had a problem on a trip because the coach was too big. Five trips to Alaska and many across the country and Canada, it is what you make of it and desire. Enjoy your travels. Oh, by the way we have not installed the bowling ally as was mentioned earlier. This post was to counter the party that said you should travel as he wishes. Get what you want, love what you have, and take care of it.

* This post was edited 01/23/18 10:19am by aviator *

aviator

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

What size and type RV do you use to full-time? I am leaning towards a Class A about 35 feet long. I'd like to go a little larger, You said it right here. You want to go a little larger, than do just that [emoticon] GET WHAT SUITS YOU.but there are several well-known advantages to going a little shorter, too. A 40 foot Class A begins to look like a monster.

yes there are advantages for shorter IF THAT is a monster deal of how you camp. We do 99% state/fed parks. Out of the way places. We need a shorter rig so we will stay 34 total length or shorter when we buy a new camper in like 7 years for our full retirement rig. But I could live in our 34 ft toyhauler we own now easily [emoticon] Just buy what suits you and your camping style.

CSCustomCars

Schenectady, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/18 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I may, I’ll offer another opinion.

I purchased a 26ft Keystone Zeppelin Z261 with a slide. I am full timing in it now.

However, after driving to my first stop which is an RV park so that I learn what it’s like to live in a trailer full time, I have found that this thing is too BIG!

I am working on a deal right now for a new trailer. 19ft Gulfstream Innsbruck 199rk. Single axle. 5000 GVWR. Much smaller and more efficient than what I have now. I realized that this 26ft isn’t conducive to the places I want to be able to get to. I want to get to places where I won’t see another human for 4 days. For me, that means small, light and efficient.

In other words, do what you think I’d right for YOU, but think about where you want to go. Make sure you buy something that can get into places you want to be.

That’s what I think anyway. I’m not an expert in anything, but it’s how I feel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> What size and type RV do you use to full-time?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS