Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Older diesel vs. New Gas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Older diesel vs. New Gas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the fridge has no plastic? And the shower has no plastic? And the hose to the toilet sprayer is not plastic?

Please! There are DOZENS of plastic parts in the "house" of an RV.

Tom/Barb wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Tom/Barb,

Age of the materials. Plastic is made from long chain molecules. As they age they become fragile. Replacements may not exist. My RV is from 2005 and bits and pieces are starting to fail now.

Newmar has no plastic parts, bodies are 100% fiberglass, and every one is readily available from the factory.
The only thing I would do to the one listed above would be to up grade the TV to flat screens.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don's right about that. I have a 14 year old vehicle that I restored, and the brittle plastics were the biggest pain of the process. Insulation on wiring gets brittle and goes too. Not too different than old tires, it just happens at differing rates.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

So the fridge has no plastic? And the shower has no plastic? And the hose to the toilet sprayer is not plastic?

Please! There are DOZENS of plastic parts in the "house" of an RV.

I was thinking about what is plastic in "house"
My shower is fiberglass. I have a toilet just like the one in my home with no spray.
I'll give ya the fridge but at over 20 years old still working and inside looks just like new so I don't think the plastic will ever be a issue.
I do have a few dash pieces and the knobs for the stove.

I think the cheaper coach you buy the more plastic you get.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

I was thinking about what is plastic in "house"
My shower is fiberglass. I have a toilet just like the one in my home with no spray.
I'll give ya the fridge but at over 20 years old still working and inside looks just like new so I don't think the plastic will ever be a issue.
I do have a few dash pieces and the knobs for the stove.

I think the cheaper coach you buy the more plastic you get.

The quality coach experience simply escapes some people. The only plastic in our coach is the fridge, and some dash parts, which can be had new from Newmar. I don't believe I'll ever need any. 18 years old and doing great.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Fridge plastic never gets any UV light to damage them (ya keep the door closed)

Shower hose is really a big deal, costs about 5 bucks and changes in about 5 minutes. the shower its self is fiberglass. Wash Wax and polish as required, ours looks new.

If little stuff like this bothers ya, ya probable shouldn't own any RV.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

Don's right about that. I have a 14 year old vehicle that I restored, and the brittle plastics were the biggest pain of the process..

Tell us the make.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad you can rewrite the laws of physics, chemistry and entropy.

Tom/Barb wrote:

Fridge plastic never gets any UV light to damage them (ya keep the door closed)

Shower hose is really a big deal, costs about 5 bucks and changes in about 5 minutes. the shower its self is fiberglass. Wash Wax and polish as required, ours looks new.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I'm glad you can rewrite the laws of physics, chemistry and entropy.

what didn't make sense to ya?

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 11:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If both are in good condition I definitely would go with the diesel. Much more torque at the wheel.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/18 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

Tom/Barb wrote:

bobkatmsu wrote:

Ductape wrote:

In that price range, be careful and have financial contingency plans for repair costs. Diesel repairs are (more) expensive.

It really all hinges in condition more than what type of engine. Better a quality gas coach than a bargain brand diesel.
Totally agree. If you are looking a units of that age it appears that you have a limited budget for this project. Repair bills on a DP are going to be significantly higher that the gasser and at this age you are going to have repair bills. As far as performance of ride, towing capacity, weight you can carry, all favor the DP. However the cost may be the deciding factor. The purchase price is only part of the actual cost of having a motor home. We owned a gasser for years and loved every moment of owning it. We are going full-time now and this is going to be our home, so at this point I can justify a DP. Although the cost of repairs is still a concern.

The diesel will have fewer age related problems than the gas, and the repair costs will be the same. Shop labor makes no difference. The gas will have ignition, fuel injection, and electrical problems more often than the diesel.

There's a person on IRV2 spent $25k repairing the diesel in 20 year old coach.

So what there is a guy right here on RV.net that has a 2003 gasser with a 8.1 with 22,000 miles and is going on his Second engine. Shiit happens.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Older diesel vs. New Gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS