Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Older diesel vs. New Gas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Older diesel vs. New Gas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobkatmsu wrote:

Ductape wrote:

In that price range, be careful and have financial contingency plans for repair costs. Diesel repairs are (more) expensive.

It really all hinges in condition more than what type of engine. Better a quality gas coach than a bargain brand diesel.
Totally agree. If you are looking a units of that age it appears that you have a limited budget for this project. Repair bills on a DP are going to be significantly higher that the gasser and at this age you are going to have repair bills. As far as performance of ride, towing capacity, weight you can carry, all favor the DP. However the cost may be the deciding factor. The purchase price is only part of the actual cost of having a motor home. We owned a gasser for years and loved every moment of owning it. We are going full-time now and this is going to be our home, so at this point I can justify a DP. Although the cost of repairs is still a concern.

The diesel will have fewer age related problems than the gas, and the repair costs will be the same. Shop labor makes no difference. The gas will have ignition, fuel injection, and electrical problems more often than the diesel.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I would go with gas. Far easier to find parts and mechanics. The Ford V-10 can go a million miles.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

The diesel will have fewer age related problems than the gas, and the repair costs will be the same. Shop labor makes no difference. The gas will have ignition, fuel injection, and electrical problems more often than the diesel.

A gas engine would have more ignition problems than a diesel, doubtless, since it has a separate ignition system. I rather doubt, though, that there's much difference in the propensity for fuel injection problems or electrical problems on modern gas and diesel engines. These systems are not all that much different, really, from what I can tell.

bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't want to hijack this thread but i would have made one with exactly the same subject [emoticon]

would any of you chose New gaser in 100k range or used DP ?

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My DP is even older and purchased without a single service record.
So far so good and costs hardly anything to maintain.

* This post was edited 01/09/18 03:19pm by mike brez *

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I would go with gas. Far easier to find parts and mechanics. The Ford V-10 can go a million miles.

But they get serviced more often than a diesel. with plugs and ignition wires and other stuff. they get oil and filters more often.

There is a Cummins or Cat dealer and a NAPA store around almost every corner. they carry or can have any part in 24 hours.

I needed a new injection line for my Cummins, in Glenallen Ak. ordered it at 4:00 got it in hand 8:00 next morning.
Parts being rare for diesels, is simply not true

* This post was edited 01/09/18 12:47pm by Tom/Barb *

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

My DP is even older and purchased without a single service record.
Do far so good and costs hardly anything to maintain.

And I'll bet you haven't put any DEF in it yet. [emoticon]

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bacil wrote:

Don't want to hijack this thread but i would have made one with exactly the same subject [emoticon]

would any of you chose New gaser in 100k range or used DP ?
DP. As long as you don't have to go back so far you are getting into dated equipment and interior. $100K will put you in a nice older DP.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Tom/Barb,

I had a 1987 FRED class C. 6.9 liter engine. Parts were not available in 2009. There were two places to go for service in a city of 225,000 souls. I had to pay $140 to $190 for an oil change. Granted 1987 is not 2000, but it is still 18 years, and at 18 years I was starting to have parts issues.

My V-10 is a lot less expensive to keep running. I would not go back to Diesel for love nor money. I've replaced one mass air flow sensor in over 100,000 miles.

I can do a LOT of maintenance for 10 grand.

Tom/Barb wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

But they get serviced more often than a diesel. with plugs and ignition wires and other stuff. they get oil and filters more often.

There is a Cummins or Cat dealer and a NAPA store around almost every corner. they carry or can have any part in 24 hours.

I needed a new injection line for my Cummins, in Glenallen Ak. ordered it at 4:00 got it in hand 8:00 next morning.
Parts being rare for diesels, is simply not true

* This post was edited 01/10/18 09:29am by pianotuna *

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always go older and no matter for getting the best quality and bang for the buck per our given budget.
Last time around, we went diesel and no matter what our argument might have been in the past, there's no going back now.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E__Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Older diesel vs. New Gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS