cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older diesel vs. New Gas

revickers
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we thought we would have bought our Class A by now, but we are still looking. Our goal is to work a month on and then travel a month in our Class A. But we are still trying to figure out what to buy. Should we go with a 2000 Diesel or go with a 2005 Gas. We are looking to spend 30k or less. What are your experiences? Any thoughts?
49 REPLIES 49

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
bobkatmsu wrote:
Ductape wrote:
In that price range, be careful and have financial contingency plans for repair costs. Diesel repairs are (more) expensive.

It really all hinges in condition more than what type of engine. Better a quality gas coach than a bargain brand diesel.
Totally agree. If you are looking a units of that age it appears that you have a limited budget for this project. Repair bills on a DP are going to be significantly higher that the gasser and at this age you are going to have repair bills. As far as performance of ride, towing capacity, weight you can carry, all favor the DP. However the cost may be the deciding factor. The purchase price is only part of the actual cost of having a motor home. We owned a gasser for years and loved every moment of owning it. We are going full-time now and this is going to be our home, so at this point I can justify a DP. Although the cost of repairs is still a concern.

The diesel will have fewer age related problems than the gas, and the repair costs will be the same. Shop labor makes no difference. The gas will have ignition, fuel injection, and electrical problems more often than the diesel.

There's a person on IRV2 spent $25k repairing the diesel in 20 year old coach.

So what there is a guy right here on RV.net that has a 2003 gasser with a 8.1 with 22,000 miles and is going on his Second engine. Shiit happens.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
If both are in good condition I definitely would go with the diesel. Much more torque at the wheel.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I'm glad you can rewrite the laws of physics, chemistry and entropy.

what didn't make sense to ya?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm glad you can rewrite the laws of physics, chemistry and entropy.

Tom/Barb wrote:

Fridge plastic never gets any UV light to damage them (ya keep the door closed)

Shower hose is really a big deal, costs about 5 bucks and changes in about 5 minutes. the shower its self is fiberglass. Wash Wax and polish as required, ours looks new.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Don's right about that. I have a 14 year old vehicle that I restored, and the brittle plastics were the biggest pain of the process..

Tell us the make.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
So the fridge has no plastic? And the shower has no plastic? And the hose to the toilet sprayer is not plastic?

Fridge plastic never gets any UV light to damage them (ya keep the door closed)

Shower hose is really a big deal, costs about 5 bucks and changes in about 5 minutes. the shower its self is fiberglass. Wash Wax and polish as required, ours looks new.

If little stuff like this bothers ya, ya probable shouldn't own any RV.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:

I was thinking about what is plastic in "house"
My shower is fiberglass. I have a toilet just like the one in my home with no spray.
I'll give ya the fridge but at over 20 years old still working and inside looks just like new so I don't think the plastic will ever be a issue.
I do have a few dash pieces and the knobs for the stove.

I think the cheaper coach you buy the more plastic you get.

The quality coach experience simply escapes some people. The only plastic in our coach is the fridge, and some dash parts, which can be had new from Newmar. I don't believe I'll ever need any. 18 years old and doing great.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
So the fridge has no plastic? And the shower has no plastic? And the hose to the toilet sprayer is not plastic?

Please! There are DOZENS of plastic parts in the "house" of an RV.

I was thinking about what is plastic in "house"
My shower is fiberglass. I have a toilet just like the one in my home with no spray.
I'll give ya the fridge but at over 20 years old still working and inside looks just like new so I don't think the plastic will ever be a issue.
I do have a few dash pieces and the knobs for the stove.

I think the cheaper coach you buy the more plastic you get.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Don's right about that. I have a 14 year old vehicle that I restored, and the brittle plastics were the biggest pain of the process. Insulation on wiring gets brittle and goes too. Not too different than old tires, it just happens at differing rates.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Please! There are DOZENS of plastic parts in the "house" of an RV.

Tom/Barb wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Tom/Barb,

Age of the materials. Plastic is made from long chain molecules. As they age they become fragile. Replacements may not exist. My RV is from 2005 and bits and pieces are starting to fail now.

Newmar has no plastic parts, bodies are 100% fiberglass, and every one is readily available from the factory.
The only thing I would do to the one listed above would be to up grade the TV to flat screens.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Get what you can afford

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Way to old for me, but like you say, to each their own.

Why do you believe this coach is way to old ? Just curious ?
The year. I personally would not feel comfortable investing that kind of money into a 15 year old coach. I would rather have lesser of a coach that was 10 years newer. Just my preference. I could go buy an 20 year old Bentley, or just drive my late model Ford. I don't want to offend as I know you have the same coach that is older.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Tom/Barb,

Age of the materials. Plastic is made from long chain molecules. As they age they become fragile. Replacements may not exist. My RV is from 2005 and bits and pieces are starting to fail now.

Newmar has no plastic parts, bodies are 100% fiberglass, and every one is readily available from the factory.
The only thing I would do to the one listed above would be to up grade the TV to flat screens.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tom/Barb,

Regards, Don