Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1000w inverter install

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

After doing some research online and here on the forum. I'm going to be attempting to install a 500-1000w inverter to watch TV when dry camping.

I will be installing it within 2-3 feet of the battery compartment. I was planning on using 1/0 Gauge cable with 180 Amp ANL Fuse.

My questions are:
Is the 1/0 gauge the correct wire size?
Should I use 180amp fuse or circuit breaker? Is the 180amp to much?
Do I need to add any other safety measure between the inverter and battery?

I'm open to any suggestions regarding, inverter, wire, fuse or breaker size. I just want my family to be safe. Let me know if I overlooked anything.

Thanks,
JL
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.
22 REPLIES 22

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good choice, that will also give you a little headroom for cell phone chargers, etc.

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Don't just buy an inverter using round numbers....add up the wattage of what you want to power, and buy one that will do the job. Remember that the bigger the inverter, the more you can run, and the faster it will suck your batteries dry.

I got a 150w pure sine inverter and installed it with this 15a auto transfer switch.

Here's the post on my inverter install.

I've since upgraded the converter/charger to a Progressive Dynamics with charge wizard, so I can restore the batteries with only a brief runtime when we are boondocking.

It's also a good idea to install a voltage meter if you don'y have one...I use it along with this chart to monitor battery charge:

According to my calculations I'd be using around 155w.
LCD TV: 120w
Receiver: 10w
SWM Power Adapter: 25w

I'll likely go with a 300w inverter now that I've done my calculations.

Thanks,
JL

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't just buy an inverter using round numbers....add up the wattage of what you want to power, and buy one that will do the job. Remember that the bigger the inverter, the more you can run, and the faster it will suck your batteries dry.

I got a 150w pure sine inverter and installed it with this 15a auto transfer switch.

Here's the post on my inverter install.

I've since upgraded the converter/charger to a Progressive Dynamics with charge wizard, so I can restore the batteries with only a brief runtime when we are boondocking.

It's also a good idea to install a voltage meter if you don'y have one...I use it along with this chart to monitor battery charge:

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
Here's one with a remote switch.

I use the one that is bigger by them and its been flawless.

the larger model

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
judelaurenzo25g wrote:
Dusty R wrote:
Check the wall wart on the end of the TV's power cord. Most convert 120 volt ac to 12 volt dc.
How will this help me?

The idea is you could cut the 120v plug off and instead, attach a 12v accessory plug. Eliminating the need for inverter.

If you DO have a 12v tv, this is the easiest way to go.

I've never seen one, not to say they don't exist. They're just not sold in the markets I deal with I guess.

Well, this probably wouldn't work for me even if I could find one. I would have to do the same for the DIRECTV receiver and the satellite power.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
judelaurenzo25g wrote:
Dusty R wrote:
Check the wall wart on the end of the TV's power cord. Most convert 120 volt ac to 12 volt dc.
How will this help me?

The idea is you could cut the 120v plug off and instead, attach a 12v accessory plug. Eliminating the need for inverter.

If you DO have a 12v tv, this is the easiest way to go.

I've never seen one, not to say they don't exist. They're just not sold in the markets I deal with I guess.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:

Do they sell these TV's anymore?

The last dozen or so I've purchased of all sizes from 19 up to 80 inch, none came with an adapter cord

The 120 volt line cord goes directly into the tv.

A dozen TV's you ask? Yes, I buy a lot of them at work. Probably closer to two dozen in the last three years.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
How will this help me?

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer

MrWizard
300w
8ga wire, less than 3 ft in each leg. less than 6ft total
pluug on the front, you can buy one or make one, simple toggle and two wires
main switch says on off remote

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-SW300-12-300-Watt-Inverter/dp/B001539BCE
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
i have a GoPower 300w, and it is wired for a remote switch

i only use 2.5 amps at 12v to power the laptop

for the 32" vizio TV its only 3 or 4 amps more

less than 100w total

DVD player uses a few more , but not much

What model is it? Did you make your own remote switch? What gauge wire and fuse do you have inline?

MrWizard
i have a GoPower 300w, and it is wired for a remote switch

i only use 2.5 amps at 12v to power the laptop

for the 32" vizio TV its only 3 or 4 amps more

less than 100w total

DVD player uses a few more , but not much
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I use an AimsPower PSW 1000 watt and it has a remote switching feature. The AimsPower has the lowest idle amp draw of any inverter. I installed a 150 amp ANL fuse and used welding cable for the leads with crimp on Tweco solid copper lugs. Mine is close to the battery bank, in fact, less than 2 feet away. I also used welding cable to interconnect my batteries. Sold by the foot at any welding supply shop and TSC.

The remote is nice, you never have to physically turn off the inverter, just push the buttom.

I would not use a modified sine wave inverter, PSW inverters aren't that much more expensive.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB