cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bandwidth ?

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many people tend to highlite and bring up the previous members question or answer for some reason . That is well and good except some of us are on very weak and limited signals and bandwidth . Some times We will wait several minutes just to see the same darn thing all over again . Why do ya do dat ?
36 REPLIES 36

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Many people tend to highlite and bring up the previous members question or answer for some reason . Why do ya do dat ?

Because between your post and mine there is chatter about telephone plans so I have to repeat your question to get back on track. ๐Ÿ™‚ Same goes when folks interject political or gun posts which aren't relevant to the opening post.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
It sounds silly but I do not know what company I am with !

Try checking here: CarrierLookup
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
My favorite is when the first responder quotes the entire OP. Is there any possible reason for doing that...
I think it is a great idea for the first reply to quote the OP. I'm sure you've seen the OP either change or completely delete the post making every post afterward worthless.
I'm sure it happens, but I've rarely seen it.

I may have another take on why the first responder does that.

Notice on a new post with no response, there's nothing below it (on my screen anyway). You have to scroll down a bit to see the reply box. If you don't do that, you have two choices, Reply to topic, and Quote. Perhaps.. not really sure.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
It takes more bandwidth to load the banner ads than it does to quote some extra lines of text. As website go, rv.net loads pages very quickly. Your problem is a nine year old phone and an ancient data plan.

Time to upgrade.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
I find quoting the OP in entirety is annoying. Oh, they may change their post or delete it. Well I can quote it and change it to say anything I want it to. Are we really worried about 'dishonesty' in our posts? You can also preface your response with to the OP or some other user. I'm not worried about bandwidth, just find it annoying to scroll over the same thing over and over. Oh well, this thread won't change anything and I can live with it.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on op phone not forum website.

I have a 3G phone that drop's. To 1G. and I fly right thru the forum posts even with pics.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I refuse to read or post on this site via only the little tiny screen of a mobile device.

When camped or traveling on RV trips, we can just connect a USB cable between our smart phone and the laptop so as to "tether" the smart phone and laptop together. The laptop is then communicating with the Internet by going through the smart phone, using the smart phone's data plan, and using cell towers that the smart phone is communicating with.

I find that reading and writing responses in this forum is way easier on a bigger screen. On a laptop, you can even easily use the mouse to move a current and constantly updated copy of what you are writing into the Notebook - just in case the cellular tower service gets temporarily interrupted and/or otherwise loses what you were just writing.

IMHO, smart phones are a too-restrictive tool for doing any real computer type work - including surfing the Internet with ease and speed. Our laptop is far, far more powerful and convenient to use than our high end smart phone.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Many people tend to highlite and bring up the previous members question or answer for some reason . That is well and good except some of us are on very weak and limited signals and bandwidth . Some times We will wait several minutes just to see the same darn thing all over again . Why do ya do dat ?

If a few lines of TEXT are overloading your connection, you should try the post office. TEXT takes next to nothing to transmit.

Besides, quoting the post or the portion of the post to which someone is responding to, it helps avoid misunderstandings.

Not that anyone on this site ever gets offended :R

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
beemerphile1 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
My favorite is when the first responder quotes the entire OP. Is there any possible reason for doing that...

I think it is a great idea for the first reply to quote the OP. I'm sure you've seen the OP either change or completely delete the post making every post afterward worthless.

X2!

Been burnt when the "poster" decides to change their mind then delete or edit out things in their post AFTER I post..

Quoting the post fixes that bit of dishonesty, oh, they can still delete or edit their post but they can't delete or edit the quoted post :S

MrWizard
IF your still using the same phone
time to ask your daughter for a new phone
web pages and internet have evolved to use a lot more data
you need a new phone
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:
Many people tend to highlite and bring up the previous members question or answer...Why do ya do dat ?

Proper etiquette is to snip the previous post and quote only the precise part that is being responded to as you see I did here. An ellipsis is used to indicate where something has been snipped. What you see above is the correct use of the ellipsis.

It is absurd when people quote post after post after post.

Only quote what you are replying to.

Posting from a phone or tablet makes editing difficult enough so as to usually be not worth it.

X2 on this. The mobile version of this site is so outdated. There's no easy way to ediy the quote portion, even editing the reply is next to impossible.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:
Many people tend to highlite and bring up the previous members question or answer...Why do ya do dat ?

Proper etiquette is to snip the previous post and quote only the precise part that is being responded to as you see I did here. An ellipsis is used to indicate where something has been snipped. What you see above is the correct use of the ellipsis.

It is absurd when people quote post after post after post.

Only quote what you are replying to.

Posting from a phone or tablet makes editing difficult enough so as to usually be not worth it.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Joined the weight police and have my ID badge and card, how can I also join the thought police? TWO cards and badges!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
...I live and spend a lot of time in the Appalachia National forest and have a very week cell signal if at all .

Are you sure you know where you live? :B As far as I can tell Appalachia National Forest does not exist.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900