cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Huatulco and Zihnahuato (sic)

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently in Yucatan but plan to cross Isthmus if Tehuantapec in six weeks or so and go up SW coast. Any suggestions on RV parks in these two spots and anything in between. Have Churchsโ€™ but it is out of date. Elaine is nervous about Acapulco.
Teed and Elaine
8 REPLIES 8

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
There is a football field just past Santa Maria Xalapa that we use for caravans. You can actually boondock in the large gravel area outside it or the pemex on the left just before it allows overnight parking. The RV park in Oaxaca (Just south of Oaxaca) is great.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
What I disliked most about Huatulco is the "Can't Coon"-like, artificial flavor manufactured especially for people who don't know any better.

The P.E. facility I mentioned has gone to RV Park "heaven" or the opposite. But it was a place to overnight. Not a destination. The surf at P.E. is dangerous to swim in and even hazardous to wade in. The same goes for Playa Azul, Michoacan.

If a beach enramada's owners live on-site, it can make for a rustic boondock experience. Light extension cord for lights and PROPANE refrigerator battery power. Maybe a fan. Use the enramada's toilet. Haul gray water a few hundred yards with a porta-tote. Most enramada's have decent food, and if you stay long enough, maybe you can pay a sum to eat comida with the family. This is a superb way to break through to "Genuine Mexico".

But the higher the kWh demand for electricity gets the higher the park rates will soar. As a user of LESS THAN 75 kWh of electricity per month (and I use an 18 CF house type refrigerator freezer) the more I shake my head at folks who demand 600 to 800 kWh for their rig. It's like someone who sits down for breakfast and consumes a dozen eggs, a half pound of bacon, six whole potatoes, and a half gallon of coffee. You ain't gonna get get it at "Breakfast Special" prices.

Talleyho69
And if it is, it's no loss.

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Mex, I think that RV park in Puerto is now closed, at least it was the last time I was there.

There are few options in puerto, iOverlander will have the most up to date details.

Talleyho69
Being that we live in Zihuatanejo......

The Ixtapa RV park is nice, but goes on and off as to allowing pets. If you don't have a tow, you are stuck.

In Zihuatanejo, on Playa la Ropa you have three real choices. El Manglar, which has all the amenities and is nice, La Ropa Trailer Park, up the street from them, with the same, and where we just moved our moho from, Costa Bella.

Costa Bella is directly across the street from El Manglar, and has 3 spaces with all the amenities and a pool. Until three weeks ago when we moved to our house, there hadn't been an available space for the last 10 years. Now there are two.

Acapulco Trailer Park has always been our go to, and from what we are hearing, is still just fine, has all the amenities and security. Ocean on one side and estuary on the other.

Huatulco is gorgeous, but again, it's a parking lot.

Come visit this coast! You will love it.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Puerto Escondido

Approaching from south. Pass over 500' long bridge. Immediately after which make a right. RV facility is on the right side along a small river.

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Coloradotallman - thanks for the great information. Will check your blog later. Looked at Churchโ€™s and those parks and parking lots are there. We have a son and family in Fort Collins. Will be going up to Patzcuaro after the coastal jaunt for week or two
Reed and Elaine

coloradotallman
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I love Huatulco. Yes, only the one "parking lot" but it has a water and sewer site and some very clean restrooms. No electric but hardly anybody there if you need to run the genset. Snorkel at a different bay each day. Walk to the "all-inclusive" beach for sunrise. Catch a meal in the little town of Cruceritas. We've stayed at the Ixtapa Fonatur park twice and El Manglar in Zihua once. My wife liked the bay and some yoga in Zihua. I preferred the ocean wave at Ixtapa and the bike path. Restaurants were good enough, especially, Buzo #1 which is up the dirt road into the small town of San Juan de Ixtapa right near the park. See both at mexicotallman.wordpress.com Playa Diamante south of Acapulco is about as safe as you can get. Plenty of friendly Canadians and a fabulous beach, with several good restaurants right across from the entrance.