cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiberglass front cap worth it?

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
I am debating making the jump from 5er to class C. I found the floor plan I like and am leaning towards Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31K (#1) or Jayco Redhawk 29XK (#2) (same floorplan).

I found a used 2015 31K, but it does not have the fiberglass front cap. I also found some 2018 prior rentals, with front cap, for not much more, but over 20k mileage.

I know Winnebago are supposed to be on the higher end of construction. Would no fiberglass front cap be a deal breaker? Would a newer prior rental be the way to go?

Thoughts?

Side note - anyone know the cargo carrying capacity of the 31K.
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245
11 REPLIES 11

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
The seamless B+ cap on our rig has has never given us trouble. Not only seamless, but it resonates so much less compared to a typical class C with an frontal over-hang. 10 years and 36,000 miles later, the few seams located rearward show no signs of stress.

If you don't need the big frontal portion, I would avoid it. If you must have it, try to get one that is seamless like the Winnebago View/Navion.

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Jq1953 wrote:
I purchased a new Minnie Winnie 331K in 2013. I too thought that Winnebago was a better product, as this was my second RV. I had several issues with the front cap leaking during hard rains.
Two trips to my dealer were of no use. Calls to Winnebago were of no use either. I finally purchased RV-Plex sealant from Camping World and sealed ever seam on the entire coach, a real job but solved my problem.
I hate to gripe about companies, but Winnebago really disappointed me with this unit. I don't believe I will purchase another Winnebago product. Jayco seems to be a good company and I would think they are as good as Winnebago.

Do you have a fiberglass front cap? Jayco is also high on my list right now. We are still trying to narrow down floor plans first.
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245

Jq1953
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a new Minnie Winnie 331K in 2013. I too thought that Winnebago was a better product, as this was my second RV. I had several issues with the front cap leaking during hard rains.
Two trips to my dealer were of no use. Calls to Winnebago were of no use either. I finally purchased RV-Plex sealant from Camping World and sealed ever seam on the entire coach, a real job but solved my problem.
I hate to gripe about companies, but Winnebago really disappointed me with this unit. I don't believe I will purchase another Winnebago product. Jayco seems to be a good company and I would think they are as good as Winnebago.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another thing that FG caps do is transition the loads around the corners, these are better structural designs than 90 degree corners.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Fiberglass nose cap and no rubber roof were hard requirements when I was shopping. After taking a significant rock strike in overhead that broke through the gelcoat and exposed the laminate, I'm happy I made that choice as it was a fairly straightforward repair....sealing filling, and finish.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 31K has a 3,275# OCCC. Mine is an oddball for Itasca (Winnebago) in that it has a rubber roof.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago's construction is somewhat better than other volume-produced Class C's. Much more so if WBO has a fiberglass roof and the comparables do not. FG front cap is a plus, I wouldn't call it a deal breaker. Deal breaker is both Flat and Not Fiberglass. Some WBO have what I call a "Tiara." Just a little "mini cap" at the top of an otherwise ordinary "nose" made of siding material. What the Tiara does, it allows the front edge of the roof to be crowned like the rear. It also mounts the Clearance Lights on a surface that could be easier to keep sealed, than siding. It's also better to NOT have a front window in the cab-over.
Many of us have bought prior rentals. Many are very high mileage, entry level coaches, and a number of buyers seem to be very happy with them. An outfit up in Anchorage (Great Alaskan Holidays) sells off its WBO Chalet Class C's (a brand produced for the rental market) with lower miles than most other rentals and they are simply beautiful. Easily confused with new.
WBO excels in owner support, with their availability of service and parts information, and of parts themselves. They are wired more like automobiles than like other RVs, which are wired more like houses. Most RV's you know this switch is supposed to work that light, which is OK till it doesn't. WBO can sell you a new wiring harness and show you where it goes.
OH, 20,000 miles is no big deal. None at all. You probably don't want 100,000+, but I'd rather buy a 5-YOA coach with 60,000 maintained miles than 5,000 ignored. Coaches don't stand around well.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
The use of fiberglass one-piece front and rear end caps have been in play for a number of years. They all but eliminates the potential for most cabover leaks. I would hesitate to buy a class C without this level of construction but then I would not buy any C without a one piece fiberglass roof as well.

As for payload, it usually begins to disappear quickly as C's approach 30' and most over 30' are even more limited. Slides and auto levelers add a lot of weight and will eat into available payload vs C's with neither.

I am not a fan of buying a former rental as they take a lot of abuse by inexperienced operators {never met one yet who even had heard of Tow Haul}.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.

Well said. The fiberglass cap and roof is really nice. I'm so glad Jayco got rid of that long over cab window. Nothing but trouble and you don't need the light from it nor do you even look out of it.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 92 Fleetwood Class C. Only leak I have had was do to leak in cabover side window - not the front windows. Easy fix.
Kevin

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I "assume" you are saying that the winnie has a fiberglass front overhang but the Jayco has a molded fiberglass front? what is the rest of the top made of? I assume the winnie has a fiberglass roof and the Jayco tpo/epdm? if so, winnie all the way.
bumpy

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
The use of fiberglass one-piece front and rear end caps have been in play for a number of years. They all but eliminates the potential for most cabover leaks. I would hesitate to buy a class C without this level of construction but then I would not buy any C without a one piece fiberglass roof as well.

As for payload, it usually begins to disappear quickly as C's approach 30' and most over 30' are even more limited. Slides and auto levelers add a lot of weight and will eat into available payload vs C's with neither.

I am not a fan of buying a former rental as they take a lot of abuse by inexperienced operators {never met one yet who even had heard of Tow Haul}.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.