Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furnace blowing cold.

kimberlysmoore
Explorer
Explorer
90 Bounder 40z
Front furnace was blowing hot air no problems. Rear furnace blowing hot too.
Suddenly front furnace blows cold. Rear blows hot no problems.
Propane working fine for oven/stove and hot water heater.
I don't see an access place for the furnaces to see if there's a pilot out maybe. Confused
7 REPLIES 7

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Since this is an older unit, I would agree with checking the "sail" switch. The "sail" switch is a metal flapper on an arm. Basically, when you first start the furnace, the fan starts up to clear the unit of any gas. Once the fan gets moving, the air flow forces the "sail" switch to move. Once it moves, it turns on the gas and allows the unit to ignite. Sometimes, these switches get stuck. Often you can look inside and see the flapper and check to see if it's moving.

Don't circumvent the "sail" switch.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
In rigs that old I doubt there are lights/diagnostic devices.

If it were me I would check sail switch - then the heat limit switch - and see if any propane obstruction to furnace. If that all checked out I would have board tested.
Kevin

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have any registers covered or otherwise closed off?

Bruce_Brown
There is also a sail switch in the furnace that proves you have proper air flow. Sometimes they stick.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, if the over limit switch trips or the furnace fails to light it is SUPPOSED to shut down so long as you have the OEM board. not sure that Dino Boards do that.

Now I knwo Atwood best. on Atwood if you open the outside access there is a switch (Actually a circuit breaker) on top of the blower housing. Turn it OFF, then set the Thermostat high enough so it will call for HEAT when it can.

Turn the switch on and observe the operation

Normal operation
Fan/Blower starts
Then you may hear the CLICK of the gas solenid and the Snap, Snap of the ignightor
Then it should FLAME ON and continue to produce heat.

Optional it may flame off, then re-start 2 more times then if you look at the control board you will see a flashing LED (post pattern).

IF you see that flashing led.. Post pattern.. IE 3 3 3 3 3
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should be able to remove the cover out side. Take a look at the circuit board and you will see a red light blinking. It may be different combinations. Then there should be a list right there or in your manual to tell you what's wrong.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like maybe the front furnace tripped the over temp. sensor that, for obvious reasons kills the supply of gas at the furnaces valve.

If that’s the case just shutting it of at the thermostat waiting a moment then turning it back on should do the trick.

There are other possible causes, such as the sail switch, but generally if the furnace was running previously it’s not likely to be the culprit.