Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Very disappoined with Directv
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Very disappoined with Directv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today i lost faith in Dtv. I have been their customer for 17 years my subscrition includes a lot and is over 200 bucks a month expensive. I loved the fact that when i traveled i would bring my genie and a mini and i could just call them and they would change my location for locals. They seemed to understand thatmy nfl package was not useful if the game was blacked out because it was on a local channel that i could not get. For many years they willingly chaned my location and i got the locals which also allowed me to get the weather locally for my travels. Great service and i praised it widely. I changed location for local channels on the 29th and before that on the 26th. Before that it was the 10th and before that 4 changes in 4 days. Today i was told no. The incompetent tech guy told me after he could not get my locals channels that i had to commit for 30 days to this location. I said you just told me that you couldn’t get the locals after i spelled the county name 5 times. There was no request for information about the duration of my stay. I still believe this was a cover for stupidity as it makes no sense to offend the growing RV people. I guess my option is to suspend my dtv for the winter and use Dish to go when i travel. Shame on directv.

* This post was edited 01/07/18 06:31pm by Goldencrazy *

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had Directv for years and got sick of moving the box to the camper so we kept Directv at home and got Dish pay as you go. Dish was so much better to deal with (just do it on line) so now we have dish for both. There isn't enough on TV anymore anyway so a lot of the time we put up the antenna, listen to the news and shut the TV off

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the Dark side, the DP side and some of us are fairly outspoken. Pretty sure in your cross country trip you are close enough to large cities to get OTA TV...local channels. If I figured correctly, seven changes in less than 30 days. Guess I'm with the tech guy...you've abused the system enough with all your changes so once every 30 days from now on for you.

The solution is to learn how to use your OTA external antenna and how to program your TV channels when you change locations...not that difficult and should take less time than what you spend calling with a new address. Like I said, Welcome to the Dark side.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

We have also tired of the expensive Dierctv monthly bill. I have suspended DTV for now and we are going to try DirecTV Now. We watch very little TV these days and use more Netflix’s and Amazon Prime for our viewing. Here’s hoping DTV Now works out. As for the news and weather I tend to watch Fox News and use WeatherBug app for weather updates.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other than it being expensive, I don't see what they did wrong.

Do you have something in writing that states you can update your location an unlimited times per month?

There's far more modern and accurate means to get local weather. When I had satellite the local weather was for a big city over 2 hours away.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

3oaks

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

............................There isn't enough on TV anymore anyway so a lot of the time we put up the antenna, listen to the news and shut the TV off
I thought we were the only ones.
We basically do the same accept for just a couple of programs we watch each week which aren't even on all year round. Nothing else on television worth watching. [emoticon]

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 11 year past practice that they changed. It is not illegal and they can change it and i can stop my service and stop paying. Just seemed stupid to not keep up with the competition. I like to record things so the satellite was nice.

USAFBILL

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call back and ask for a supervisor and hope they are more intelligent and speak English

[email protected]

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fail to see a problem here with DTV other than you got a surly tech.

What I do is change my 'Service Address' only when necessary as evidenced by what's on the screen after dish deployment. So I seldom need to change on a daily basis.

Plus I pay $15 per month for the major networks so I always have the Pacific coast network feeds. Then when I contact DTV about changing my service address, I always use the online 'Chat' feature. Never have to call on the phone.

Some of the issues I've run into:
1) Tech will not tell me s/he cannot find the RV park address or Zip in their search system because of politeness. And as a result, they do not change it. This is annoying, but you can tell fairly quickly. So I have to connect later with a different tech. I've learned to use a different but nearby Zip code in that situation. Works every time.
2) Always ask for confirmation that they are changing my Service Address ONLY as one time, somehow, they changed my billing address. Didn't notice for several months, my CC wouldn't take that incorrect addy so I was behind. Went ahead and paid it off, than forced them to refund the $5/mo they charged for late charges. Around 5 months (no, I didn't notice I wasn't being charged).
3) Always get a copy of the 'chat'. See #2.
4) Patience is a virtue. If you're having a problem, ask for a supervisor.
5) I did once get a tech trying to tell me I was changing my service address too often. I immediately asked for a supervisor. Super didn't think it was a problem. Changed it in seconds.
6) Sometimes *I* have screwed up and forgotten to edit 'My Channels' after the local channels have been changed. This often means the new channels don't all show up when pressing 'Guide' on the remote. Minor issue fixed by editing the 'My Channels' list.

* This post was edited 01/08/18 08:37am by [email protected] *

[email protected]
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My two cents is to call back and get to another person. I have dish and the equipment I have is so out dated it is a surprise it even works. takes 6 press of the button to get the guide to come up. I have another year before I can go back to directv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Very disappoined with Directv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS