cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very disappoined with Directv

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Today i lost faith in Dtv. I have been their customer for 17 years my subscrition includes a lot and is over 200 bucks a month expensive. I loved the fact that when i traveled i would bring my genie and a mini and i could just call them and they would change my location for locals. They seemed to understand thatmy nfl package was not useful if the game was blacked out because it was on a local channel that i could not get. For many years they willingly chaned my location and i got the locals which also allowed me to get the weather locally for my travels. Great service and i praised it widely. I changed location for local channels on the 29th and before that on the 26th. Before that it was the 10th and before that 4 changes in 4 days. Today i was told no. The incompetent tech guy told me after he could not get my locals channels that i had to commit for 30 days to this location. I said you just told me that you couldn’t get the locals after i spelled the county name 5 times. There was no request for information about the duration of my stay. I still believe this was a cover for stupidity as it makes no sense to offend the growing RV people. I guess my option is to suspend my dtv for the winter and use Dish to go when i travel. Shame on directv.
24 REPLIES 24

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
My two cents is to call back and get to another person. I have dish and the equipment I have is so out dated it is a surprise it even works. takes 6 press of the button to get the guide to come up. I have another year before I can go back to directv

One of my remotes started doing that. I called Dish and they sent me a new one for free.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jim. I will try that when i move in a couple of days.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not liked Direct tv since AT&T bought them out. Service has gone down hill.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Just now checked, Mon. 6pm, and Chat is available. But...I have an online account with them.

Signed in, go to 'My Account'. Drop down to 'Contact Us', and wait a few seconds for Chat to link before clicking on it. And then I choose 'Tech Support'.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Well today i tried the chat option but never got thru as it just kept on loading. So i called again. Took a very direct stiff approach and the customer service rep never asked a question but did get the locals for me no problem. No mention of new policy but a constant sales job on att cell and internet service. She worked hard to try to move me from verizon. They must get commissions. I still hope to use the chat. Perhaps i did not go to the right place. I went to support. Thanks again for all the info and sharing your experiences.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've been Dish Network ever since it was invented. The grass is no greener 🙂 I got so mad at them once I told them if they can't make it work in the RV then take it out of the house and hung up - wife came out to the RV and said "we lost our Dish! - what happened?" I didn't have the heart to tell her that day.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I have had Direct TV for 21 years, but I find that there is just not much to watch since AT&T took over. I really don't know what that has got to do with it. But when we are in the RV, I always seem to get good reception.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Two comments.
First if this is an RV account (not a spare house receiver in an RV) you can file for Distant Network Stations, I think it's 10 bucks you will get ABC, NBC, CBS, FAUX et-al from NYC area or LA no matter where you are parked....

--Snip--

The DNS (Distant Network Service) cost is $20 to apply, than $15/mo from then on. You have to fill out a Mobile Vehicle Account form (required by the government), and a signed declaration, and mail them in along with copy of your vehicle reg, copy of your CDL if you're a truck driver, and a check.

A few days later go online and chat with a tech so they'll turn it on for you. Channels 390-399. Evens or Odds depending on which coast feeds you selected.

It is handy to always have the national networks. But nice to have the locals too...which is why I eventually change my service address when I travel. But I only change it if I lose the local channels for the last place I set the service address because I'm too far away.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two comments.
First if this is an RV account (not a spare house receiver in an RV) you can file for Distant Network Stations, I think it's 10 bucks you will get ABC, NBC, CBS, FAUX et-al from NYC area or LA no matter where you are parked....

Page 2.. I have a Dish Network Receiver.. Somewhere (not active) and a Winegard Sensar III with Wingman adn Sensar Pro

I have two DVR's which record off whatever I tell 'em to (Currently the Over the Air Winegard) and the Hard Drives are filling up since I can't watch as much as they record much of the time... So since I get all that for basically FREE (I pay 25/year for the electroinc program guide) WHY PAY FOR Sat TV?
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
Call direct tv and ask them for their RV section. Supposedly they have one. It’s been some time ago that I called them. Can’t remember if that was before Direct was purchased by AT&T. At the time I called they had established that office it in response th dish TV RVService.

They no longer have an RV section. Closed early in 2017.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I just tried to deal with Direct for a friend of mine..Always ask for someone in the United States..Do not bother to talk to offshore...I have DISH for my service and I am marked to be routed to the United States...for my locals, I have the dish 211K box.. this has an antenna connection....I connected in my antenna to it..when we move I do a scan local function on set up screen and then it integrates the locals right in to the program guide. We do like our TV at night but you have to watch them or they raise the price...They are not perfect...but the least of the evils...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much. I did call back and got another person who told me the same thing. Probably looked at the file record I thought. The chat is a good idea. They did say the policy has changed recently but no could tell me when. This was such a shock as I had always been treated very well. Maybe here in west Texas they have a trouble coverage area. Thanks for all the ideas Jim.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
Call direct tv and ask them for their RV section. Supposedly they have one. It’s been some time ago that I called them. Can’t remember if that was before Direct was purchased by AT&T. At the time I called they had established that office it in response th dish TV RVService.

No where in the agreement with direct tv does it say you can change your locals - that is why they have DNS service which I have had for 10 years
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Direct TV is kinda like the motor vehicle department just ask another person till you get your answer:B

JimR