Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Leaving Nor Cal in Early March
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Leaving Nor Cal in Early March

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 12:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, I'd second calling the ferry office if you're thinking of an extended trip on AMHS. Realizing that other's experiences have varied, I've had nothing but good luck when calling to either get a complete itinerary or to confirm that Ferry X travels from A to B on Y day.

PgHBob is correct: you'll pay based on length and the type of accomodation you seek. FWIW, I would ask (if you pursue AMHS) for a day or two layover at each stop on the way. They will happily provide a "straight-through" itinerary but (having done that) it is not always enjoyable: 4 hour stop here, 3 hours there, 8 hours, then 1.5 days in Juneau to switch from SE Mainlines to Cross-Gulf, etc.

As noted, if you take the ferry/AMHS, accomodations run the gamut from pitch a tent on deck, to sleep in the "day" lounge (you have to vacate for portions of the "24-hour day", get a bunk room, get a stateroom with bathroom. Cost goes up accordingly. At nearly 60, I wouldn't contemplate anything less than the stateroom....and being a paranoid type, I'd get one with a bathroom; tenting on the deck and using the shared facilities was low cost and interesting when I was younger and had hair, but, while that's still low cost, I no longer have interest in "roughing it" on the ferry.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lesson learned the hard way on the first trip north. Got caught by a late winter storm in late April & no CGs open yet & this was WS. Second week of May we crossed the Yukon on on the 3 rd day of the ferry running. Plenty of snow on the ground still & mountaintops spectacular but CGs open still somewhat hard to come by. No road problems.

If you are on a mission & have to leave early, leave as late as possible & plan on motelling it.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 15 we crossed the border May 1st at Sweet Grass MT. Spent 1st night at Fort McLeod, bad head winds. Moved on up to Banff for 3 nights great sunny days then headed for the Icefield anyway. Got to Lake Louise and the weather turned rain, sleet, snow couldn't see anything but the temperature stayed above 30 and the road was only wet. Drove on to Hinton AB for an overnight. Stayed 2 after overnight snow 3-4 inches wet slushy snow. Advised it would be gone in the morning. Next day drove to Grand Prairie on 40 the muddist highway ever, with all the oil patch work trucks flinging mud as they pulled onto it.
The rest of the trip was uneventful except for the scenery and wildlife.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

buylow12

North America!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/18 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info. I think we've decided that my wife is going to extend here till the end of April so we'll hit BC in the middle of May. Also, instead of her taking a job there, we're area just going to drive there and then somewhere back down here four months later. That seems to be the only way we'll want to do the trip. Plus she makes better money down here anyways. The only thing is, she usually doesn't like to take that much time off in a row, it makes it harder to go back, lol.

Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Leaving Nor Cal in Early March
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS