Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgraded to a removable marine style shore power cord

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I have a small travel trailer.

Last summer I swapped out the flap and port hole for a removable power cord.

Why? To to keep critters out and make the cord entry weather tight.

Cord upgrade
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
10 REPLIES 10

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
That was one of the first modifications I did to my new Jay Flight 23RB. My last trailer I never did that, and I did have the wire get tangled up inside the storage box. Had to take the mouse hole off in order to get the wire out.

So far, the Marinco kit has worked perfectly.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
My Chalet Takena came from the factory with one. As far as thieves, could use wire cutters on a standard cord.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great job and looks factory original. I did the identical thing on a previous TT and used a piece of 1/8" HDPE cutting board to cover the original mouse hole opening.

Don't know about your TT, but I ended up with the original cord storage box being available for more storage space, and it was accessible via an existing exterior compartment door. Added bonus!

I suppose theft could happen but I don't think it's that common. If someone really wants a cord they'll just use cutters anyway. We have a spare cord just in case but it also gets used once in a while as an extension cord by using an generator adapter to connect the two cords together.

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same with mine we had a rat get in our camper curl up and die while in storage. I looked high and low for where he could have gotten in from sealed up everything then saw the hole for the cord. Even with the plastic cover there is a gap. So I cut the cord. Tied a very nice plug in place even has a status light for the plug then made my current cord my shore power no regrets!

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
only one problem with the new plug and cord you bought and installed. one word. thieves. about a month ago someone posted that their kids did just what you did and went camping. someone stole their new cord, just walked up twisted it and walked off again.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I did that on my last TC, I just bought the plug and receptacle, cut the cord and wired to the receptacle and put the plug on the end of the old cord.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I simply cut the cord and put on a new male plug. Much cheaper. I added a female to the end of the cut off cord. Now I can replace easily with any standard RV cord.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the same thing this fall with outs. Got tired of busted knuckles trying to feed cold cord into that little mouse hole. Got tired of the cord getting tangled inside the compartment and having to gently yank the knot out past the hole. We keep our camper plugged in at home and do a couple colder weather fall trips every year and a trip to Florida every February. Got the kit on Amazon for a decent price and did the switch, much happier this way.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the same thing with my clipper. Mostly because I keep it plugged in at home and if I need to drive it to work, I have to fuss with shoving the cord into the compartment. Now I just unplug at the clipper and drive away. I keep a second cord in the clipper for use when not at home.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)