Hi
Working on resolving lost DC
Many things I don't understand
On shore power i have AC & DC
On house batteries I have no DC but still have AC
What is the source of AC?????
Must be my Inverter which takes DC from batteries & inverts it to AC
IS this correct????
How come I can get AC from my batteries but no DC????
obviously I'm confused
Please straighten me out
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If you have rig disconnected from 110vac power, the roof AC will not operate. If you have the auxiliary/house battery switch in "on" setting, you will have 12 volt dc power to your, furnace and AC controls, interior lights, appliance controls, fresh water pump, etc. If auxiliary/house battery switch is off, your house batteries are disconnected and you should not have 12 volt power to interior lights, etc. The purpose of the switch is to disconnect your batteries when rig is not being driven/in storage, so that battery will not be discharged by parasitic loads like alarms and appliance controls. Learn how the 12 volt system works including how the converter/charger keeps the auxiliary battery charged when rig is connected to 110vac and how the engine's alternator charges the auxiliary house battery when rig is being driven. Battery terminals must be kept clean and tight and electrolyte levels must be maintained above the plates with distilled water. 12vdc to 110vac inverters are not magic, typically, they can power low wattage 110vac devices like laptops and cell phone chargers and draw current themselves to operate from the auxiliary/house battery. House batteries may last up to ten years if kept charged,not overcharged, and electrolyte levels are maintained and converter charge is working properly. Buy a cheap digital multimeter to monitor battery voltage, set it on 20 volt DC setting to check house battery voltage.Should be 13+volts when rig is connected to 110vac power, 14 volts when engine is running, 12.6 volts when rig is disconnected and auxiliary/house battery switch is set to "off". If battery voltage is 12 volts or less, battery is discharged.

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the class C we used to own, I'd look for a large fuse or breaker between the battery bank and the 12V distribution center. On our class C there was a breaker hidden inside a cabinet not far from the battery compartment. The converter was right next to the 12V distribution panel and would provide 12V power in the coach even with that breaker open when 115VAC was available. Inverters are often mounted close to the battery bank and have direct wiring.
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Look for 'Battery Disconnect' switch on your Monitor Panel where all the other switches (water pump, water heater) and Level Indicators are
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Here is what may be happening

Shore power-->converter-->dc power (with battery switch off)

vs

House batteries-->inverter-->ac power (converter is NOT powered, other wise it would drain the bank fairly quickly). Therefore no dc power.

So all you need to find is the battery disconnect switch.

I hope this helps.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with your rig, but there should be a "Battery Enable/Disable" switch possibly near the fuse/breaker panel (sometimes near the side entrance door steps, or near the water/propane/holding tank/battery monitor panel (usually). It will be marked as such. To enable DC power to the coach outlets and equipment, it must be "enabled".

If you can't find it, look in your owner's manual under electrical systems, or check the manufacturer's website for it's location.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

HavingProblems7
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Mike
2006 fleetwood Jamboree 23 e
Does power switch booster used when need to start chassis engine????

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
"Must be my Inverter which takes DC from batteries & inverts it to AC"
Yes. Probably.
"How come I can get AC from my batteries but no DC????"
Is the Battery Enable/Disable switch "enabled"? If not, typically no DC to coach 12V outlets or equipment.

You've given no info about what you're driving/pulling.
Year/Make/Model might help others troubleshoot your questions.
My comments are just guesses based on general AC/DC functionality.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)