Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: heater warm up ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> heater warm up ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it’s a diesel and has an engine brake.....activate the engine brake and let her idle for several minutes!

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

bguy

The Rock

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Option #2, but you don't need too many extra RPM.

---------------------------------------
2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP ,again
It is difficult for some to understand the question ???
Only one person has answered the question with an opinion ! I many times idle fast in yard , I many times do all kinds of things , that was not the question , I could maybe move closer the equator, I could build a wood fire in the back seat , please , that was not my original question , of the my two possibilities what do you like best !

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try Google, it's all just meaningless opinions anyways. Scientific facts are scant on here. Just tell us which side of the bet you took we'll all back you up.

john&bet

North Vernon,in.

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have what is now called an older diesel that I bought new. I have always started it up, idled a few seconds and drove out the driveway. I live a couple or more miles from the nearest highway, so 35-40 is my speed for those miles with maybe a couple of stop signs along the way. I have heat in about those couple of miles. It's not completely warm in the truck, but I have warmth coming out the vents. My seat warmer helps too. It will idle longer if I have frost, ice and snow to remove. I have even did this when we visited in Montana one winter with over night lows of -4 or more.

2004.5 Dodge 2500ctd Quadcab. Lariamie, 3.73, auto. pure stock
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The answer (to your question), all other factors be damned, is whatever option puts the most load on the engine the quickest.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bguy wrote:

Option #2, but you don't need too many extra RPM.

X2.
This one is more to the guidelines Cummins gives.

(Sorry, off topic) The thing I don't understand is how new gas engines warm up so fast.
The 6.4L in our other Dodge starts blowing nice warm air within 30 seconds of starting no matter how cold it is outside. Almost makes me think there's a electric coil in there.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truck in going to warm up with the more RPM that it has. If you are driving it will warm up quicker because of the RPM's. The air going into the radiator is cooling the antifreeze in the radiator but the thermostat is letting just enough antifreeze into the block to keep it from overheating. Once your temp gauge hits warm it will not come down because the thermostat opened.

Dennis Hoppert

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

(Sorry, off topic) The thing I don't understand is how new gas engines warm up so fast.
The 6.4L in our other Dodge starts blowing nice warm air within 30 seconds of starting no matter how cold it is outside. Almost makes me think there's a electric coil in there.

Two words... thermal efficiency.

Due to the high compression ratios/expansion ratio of a diesel, most of the heat(energy) made during the combustion process is used as work and does not need to be carried away in the coolant. Gasoline engines are less efficient at utilizing the heat(energy) as work from the combustion process and more heat gets soaked into the engine which gets carried away in the coolant. Therefore a lower compression ratio gasoline engine will get the coolant to a higher temp much faster due to how inefficient it is at utilizing the energy from the combustion process versus a diesel.

Sorry for the "engine nerd" answer.

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it's really cold..say minus 25 to minus 35, I let the car warm up bu idling for a few minutes. Then I drive usually shifting at under 2000 rpm (gas engine) till the temp gauge (I have an engine temp readout) till the engine temp gets close to normal. But you're in Florida, are you talking about a cold snap in Florida or about say...Northern States ?

If Florida, I'm guessing a cold temp is somewhere in the 30's. Not terribly cold for the engine, so I think the engine will warm up quicker by driving...and once the engine is warm, then you got heat from your in car heater.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> heater warm up ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS