Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford finally releases specs for F-150 3.0L diesel

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Power - 250 hp at 3,250 RPM and 440 lb-ft at 1,750 RPM

Max Towing - 11,400 lbs

Still underpowered to me(your towing preferences may be different) for the size of truck it is going in and an 11k tow rating, but I am sure there will be a market for it like the Ecodiesel. By the towing specs, it seems to be offered in the HD F150 which is something Ram needs for the Ecodiesel and its dismal payload.

TFL Truck: FORD RELEASES POWER, TORQUE, TOWING SPECS FOR 3.0L POWERSTROKE DIESEL
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
337 REPLIES 337

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
VernDiesel wrote:

Recent inflated tax rates on diesel and inflated costs of diesel in general wonโ€™t help.

Ya think LOL. I expect the state of PA will not be a huge market. I never pay much attention but while getting a coffee yesterday I took notice of the fuel prices.

Regular unleaded. 2.88
Diesel. 3.62

I bought some offroad diesel over the weekend for 2.19$/gal. I would assume that the actual price of the fuel does not vary much around the country so the difference is probably in the various taxes. I hope that PA roads have improved with that much money coming in. It has been about 20 years since I was up that way but I remember them having the worst roads that I have ever encountered. My home state of TN seems to have the best roads and nearly the lowest taxes. On road diesel near me right now is 2.59$/gal.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
VernDiesel wrote:

Recent inflated tax rates on diesel and inflated costs of diesel in general wonโ€™t help.

Ya think LOL. I expect the state of PA will not be a huge market. I never pay much attention but while getting a coffee yesterday I took notice of the fuel prices.

Regular unleaded. 2.88
Diesel. 3.62

A lot of that has has to do with the demand for heating fuel. Generally colder winters will cause diesel prices to increase since much of the production is switched to heating oil like kerosene and diesel itself is also used as heating fuel for many in the Northeast

Check your diesel tax here: Tax

I was stating that in reference as to why the difference between diesel and gas usually increases during the winter months versus summer months. The increased tax on diesel is constant, but the demand during the winter isn't and will fluctuate depending on how cold or long the winter is.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
VernDiesel wrote:

Regular unleaded. 2.88
Diesel. 3.62

A lot of that has has to do with the demand for heating fuel. Generally colder winters will cause diesel prices to increase since much of the production is switched to heating oil like kerosene and diesel itself is also used as heating fuel for many in the Northeast

Check your diesel tax here: Tax

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
VernDiesel wrote:

Regular unleaded. 2.88
Diesel. 3.62

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Wow PA pice is insane. I travel Ohio to all over west coast. Useing gas buddy the average I pay outside of CA is 2.79.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
VernDiesel wrote:

Regular unleaded. 2.88
Diesel. 3.62
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
According to the big 3 that have actually done their research and invested their money into it about 5 percent of the half ton market will find it beneficial enough to plunk their money down on a half ton diesel. Shinerbocks personal issues with the truck wonโ€™t matter.

Recent inflated tax rates on diesel and inflated costs of diesel in general wonโ€™t help. Government interference aside Ram has shown an average take rate of greater than 5 percent for the first 4 years. For the 5 ish percent that drive lots of miles and only tow moderate loads it will be a hit. It will make the product line more complete. Nobody wants to give up sales to a competitor. The consumers who fit the nitch and want the benefits of this truck will be the winners. Seems simple to me for those not interested in it they should not buy it.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

womps
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Does the owners manual suggest using a diesel fuel additive like the eco boost suggests using premium?

My 2017 Ford F-350 manual says it shouldnโ€™t be necessary to add aftermarket additives to your fuel if you use a high quality fuel but use Motorcraft Cetane Booster or an equivalent cetane booster additive if you suspect low cetane fuel.
Use Motorcraft anti-gel and performance improver or equivalent to prevent gelling. Dodgeboy said he doesnโ€™t care what the manual says, he adds diesel fuel treatment to every tank of fuel in his Ecodiesel.
The manual also says to change the oil when the computerized oil life monitor indicates.
There are a ton of owners who ignore this information and change every 3,000 to 5,000 miles regardless. I guess what Iโ€™m saying is owners manuals are only a suggestion to a lot of people.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Does the owners manual suggest using a diesel fuel additive like the eco boost suggests using premium?

FAIL!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:

If one asumes that mid grade fuel is used for the gas engines at an added cost then one should assume that diesel owners use a diesel fuel additive again at an added cost.

True! I didn't think of that.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

womps
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Allamakee1 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

But the Ecoboost gas engine that were are talking aboutis a variable grade fuel engine and the owners manual recommends regular 87 octane for advertised power levels. Premium is only used if you want higher then advertised power level and performance.

So again, why are you using mid-grade fuel prices and not regular fuel prices?

Taking for granted the fact that people use that higher grade fuel to obtain those numbers on fuelly? Does Fuelly break that down? Give me the average mpg for the lowest/cheapest gasoline then and I'll plug that info in the spreadsheet.

Back with my Chevy, I got significantly lower fuel mileage when I put the cheapest stuff in. I only ran premium a couple of times, but never used the cheapest stuff if I could help it.

So you are assuming that every Ecoboost owner uses mid-grade fuel to make your numbers look better instead of using the regular octane that the owners manual actually states? What does it matter what YOU did with your Chevy. We are not discussing what YOU do and are discussing what the AVERAGE truck buyer does which is follow the owners manual. Yeah, about that cherry picking......

Again, using the correct fuel that the owners manual states our fuel savings for 2017 should look like this driving 10k annual miles

Nation price for regular gasoline
Month- price -mpg- cost
Jan- $2.35 -16.2- $120.83
Feb- $2.30 -16.2- $118.31
Mar- $2.33 -16.2- $119.60
Apr- $2.42 -16.2- $124.33
May- $2.39 -16.2- $122.99
Jun- $2.35 -16.2- $120.73
Jul- $2.30 -16.2- $118.31
Aug- $2.38 -16.2- $122.43
Sep- $2.65 -16.2- $136.06
Oct- $2.51 -16.2- $128.86
Nov- $2.56 -16.2- $131.89
Dec- $2.48 -16.2- $127.42

National price for diesel
month- price -mpg- cost
Jan- $2.58 -22.4- $95.98
Feb- $2.66 -22.4- $98.88
Mar- $2.55 -22.4- $95.01
Apr- $2.58 -22.4- $96.09
May- $2.56 -22.4- $95.24
Jun- $2.51 -22.4- $93.53
Jul- $2.50 -22.4- $92.86
Aug- $2.60 -22.4- $96.54
Sep- $2.79 -22.4- $103.61
Oct- $2.79 -22.4- $103.94
Nov- $2.91 -22.4- $108.22
Dec- $2.91 -22.4- $108.22

Savings per month
Jan- $24.85
Feb- $19.43
Mar- $24.58
Apr- $28.24
May- $27.76
Jun- $27.20
Jul- $25.46
Aug- $25.89
Sep- $32.45
Oct- $24.91
Nov- $23.67
Dec- $19.20
Total $303.63

Amazing how this $303.63 is not too far off from $315.53 I posted earlier using a generic $.25 higher diesel cost isn't it?

If one asumes that mid grade fuel is used for the gas engines at an added cost then one should assume that diesel owners use a diesel fuel additive again at an added cost.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
WE just figured the post wen't off the rails so WTH

Actually what we were talking about was on topic in how many will or will not see enough of a monetary benefit with this Ford 3.0 or other small diesels for how much power, capability, and performance they would have to give up. We were just in a disagreement of how many would or wouldn't see that benefit based on our cost analysis of me using regular fuel prices versus diesel and he was using mid-grade fuel prices versus diesel. We were also in a disagreement in what was important to a half ton truck owner, over 130 more horsepower power at the cost of less than $30 a month or saving $30 a month at the cost of over 130 horsepower. So the thread was not off the rails and was on topic.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
WE just figured the post wen't off the rails so WTH
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.