cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canon city to del nort

eldondo
Explorer
Explorer
This summer I will probably be going out to South Fork, Co basically from Garden City, Ks. I have come to dread La Vita Pass. My rig, I pull a Jeep, barely makes it over the top. I read that La Vita is a 6 percent grade. So, trying to research a less strenuous way to get there. I may have found it, but, would like some thoughts/guidance or tell me if I'm wrong. What about a route where I go through Pueblo, Canon City, continue past Salida, turn left somewhere around Poncho Springs and take 285 down to Center, Del Norte and on to South Fork. I read that Poncho is only a 3 percent grade. Maybe you could tell me where to go?:h
11 REPLIES 11

eldondo
Explorer
Explorer
BB described Fun Valley perfectly. The last year we stayed there, we were parked under some wonderful big trees, directly across the blacktop from the bend in the river where all the tubers got out of the water and the trucks came to pick them up. We all just had the best time watching all the activity, speaking to people as they came by. It is kind of like riding on a merry-go-round only everybody else is going round and round and you are sitting still.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Mile High wrote:
For nearly 20 years I've passed Fun Valley on my way to the state park wondering what allure there was to stack yourself in there like cord wood. ........:.........

People either love it. Or hate it. If you like quiet, isolated, campgrounds with lots of room and few people, you will hate it.

Fun Valley is a very busy place loved especially by families, and seniors. There is something going on most all the time. People are out walking, riding bikes, fishing, or generally hanging out visiting. For families there are many things to keep kids occupied such as mini golf, paddle boats, stocked trout ponds, tube floating on the river, horseback rides, game hall, rental bikes, etc. For adults there is C & W dancing several nights per week, plus street dances some nights for all ages. For seniors (and many others) it is meeting up with old friends from many previous years.

Ownership changed two years ago and many changes have been made so I have heard. Some have not been well received, while some have. Again, so I have heard.

eldondo
Explorer
Explorer
Reading these responses sure make me feel, well I don't know what, so many experiences that you all talk about are sort of what happens to us. Last year we didn't go anywhere to speak of. I was not feeling up to par, and, I knew if we went out to SF, we wouldn't be able to stay very long and I was dreading that climb up La Vita. My MIL is also in frail health, almost 95. Oh shoot, I gotta go help with lunch!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
For nearly 20 years I've passed Fun Valley on my way to the state park wondering what allure there was to stack yourself in there like cord wood. My wife always said that was where everyone landed after rolling backwards down Wolf Creek Pass.

However, for nearly 20 years I've also listened to loyalists talk about it more than any other place in the area. I may just have to see what it's all about this summer.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We were also Fun Valley regulars from 2004 thru 2014, first in cabins and the 5er from 2007 on. Kids continued in cabins until 2012. Haven't been the last 3 years due to mother-in-law's health issues. DW doesn't want to get so far away we can't get home fairly quickly. Hoping to get back though. Lots of fun times there with the kids and grandkids.

True_temper
Explorer
Explorer
The last two years we have been to Fun Valley, we also boondocks up on beaver creek. Really like it there. We have good friends that live in SouthFork , always get tougher with them at least once.
Last year we was there in July there was 4 or 5 families we knew at Fun Valley. Always something going on. Would you kike to meet up sometime? Always looking to meet new friends.

eldondo
Explorer
Explorer
I thank you folks for your thoughts. I am thinking that I am going to try the Poncha Pass route. Well, the last 3 or 4 or so years we have been camping in my daughters back yard, they bought a vacation home and it is all set up for an rv. Sewer, water, electricity, etc. Previous to that we have only stayed at Fun Valley. For a few years we rented a cabin and reserved it year after year, then we bought the rv and stayed there one year, then, they bought the place in South Fork. I do love fun valley and if this new route works out, we may be spending more time there. I love to just sit out under my awning and watch the world go by. Where do you go true temper

True_temper
Explorer
Explorer
We live just south of you. Every year we go to South Fork area. Every year we have a bit of trouble on laVeta pass. A couple of mothers ago I got a new truck hoping that will fix that problem. A few years ago we took the north route through Salida didnโ€™t remember having any problems that trip.
Where do you camp when you get there?

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
We took that route last year, came down from Denver on 25, picked up 115 at Colorado Springs down to 50 and then on the route you refer to from there to Del Norte. Actually, we taken that route several times over the years. Didn't have any problem over Poncho Pass. Have a 3500 Ram towing a 31' HitchHiker II that weighs about 13500 loaded..had no problem anywhere on the route. Except for Poncho Pass it's mostly pretty flat winding road. 50 from Canon City is curvey but flat as it follows the river most of the way. Very dramatic scenery in spots with high canyon walls..in the summer there are a lot of white water rafting going on. We stayed in Howard for a couple of weeks so made the trip to Cripple Creek a couple of times and had to drive Rt. 50. Have stayed in Del Norte several months over the years. We have a Mountain Directory (West) that we refer to all the time for info on the roads and passes in the Western US..we've found it be a lifesaver many times!

eldondo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, BB.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You shouldnโ€™t have any problem with the route you are considering. It is about 800โ€™ less climb from Poncha Springs to Poncha Pass than from La Veta to North La Veta Pass. And the grade is easier.