cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you love good Q, you must go

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone who's into smoking and grilling should visit the Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue at least once in their lifetime. Held on the 4th Saturday in October admission is a voluntary donation to the local schools.
Famous for its world-renowned Tennessee whiskey, Lynchburg is home to the Jack Daniel Distillery, America’s first registered distillery. But each year on the fourth Saturday of October, a small town tucked in the rolling hills of southern Middle Tennessee turns into the barbecue capital of the world, attracting teams from all 50 states and around the globe.

To qualify, domestic teams must have won a state championship with a minimum of 25 competing teams, or a competition with more than 50 teams battling in the categories of Pork Ribs, Pork Butts, Chicken and Beef Brisket. The final competitors are then selected during a blind drawing of all eligible teams in August. Additionally, automatic invitations are given to the 2016 Jack Daniel’s Grand Champion, Cool Smoke, and this season’s grand champions from the Memphis in May, American Royal Open and Houston World’s Championship Bar-B-Que competitions.

“Every year, the Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue brings out the best of the best in barbecue for a competitive, yet fun, weekend,” said Lynne Tolley, KCBS-certified barbecue judge and great-grandniece of Jack Daniel. “The town of Lynchburg sees thousands of fans descend upon it, and that’s when it all really comes to life.”

Jack Daniel’s Master Distiller Jeff Arnett continues to be impressed by the talent, focus and skill of the competing teams.

“The level of talent Lynchburg hosts each October for The Jack™ continues to amaze me,” said Arnett. “These teams have a sincere sense of passion for barbecue and respect for each other. It’s what makes this competition the best in the world.”

Other activities include original games such as the Country Dog Contest, Butt Bowling, and Bung and Bag Toss competitions. Games begin Saturday at 11 a.m. and continue throughout the day. Tours of the Jack Daniel Distillery from the Visitor Center will also be available from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Barbecue judging starts at 11:30 a.m., and the awards presentation will take place at 5 p.m.

Admission to the 29th Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue is a voluntary donation to the Moore County School system. For more information, please visit www.jackdaniels.com.

http://www.jackdanielsbarbecuemedia.com/
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
9 REPLIES 9

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
copper canyon 252 wrote:
are they campgrounds close by

Allstays lists those in Lynchburg and nearby areas.
Lynchburg, TN
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Lynchburg thread form a few weeks back. RV Park Reviews does list a few others in that area.
Been years since we've been up there for the cookoff. If you go expect a crowd.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

copper_canyon_2
Explorer
Explorer
are they campgrounds close by

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks... Sounds like another good reason to go visit Tennessee.

My favorite state I think.. and where I plan on retiring.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Rocking_B
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,they had all types of food vendor's set up BBQ included when we were there they were in the front then all the teams were set up behind them. I've only participated in one competition where there was no vending that's usually not the norm we usually vend and compete.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rocking B wrote:
Hello Mike,we have a competition BBQ team and we were cooking in the contest.
Bruce

I guess my question is, as a non-participant, can I purchase/eat the BBQ, or am I limited to watching the various games, and seeing the judging.

Reason I ask, is there's a competition down here in GA that I went to one year, and all I could do was walk around. Unless I knew one of the competitors, and were invited to their party, I couldn't even buy a BBQ plate.

Mike

Rocking_B
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Mike,we have a competition BBQ team and we were cooking in the contest.
Bruce

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you get the opportunity to partake of the bbq or just there for the events and see the judging?

Mike

Rocking_B
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, we were there in 2016 a great BBQ contest the people at JD that organize the event do an amazing job.Its definitely worth a visit to see all the teams and take the distillery tour it's worth the time.