cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crock-a-licious Recipes for OTR

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crock pots are great for having a fully cooked and inexpensive meal waiting for you in the RV after you have a day of seeing the sights.

With the thread on soda pop and meats I thought it would be fun if you would like to share your favorite traveling crock pot recipe here.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
7 REPLIES 7

jwilson66
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone like Italian beef sandwiches? Easiest recipe here:

1 rump roast 2-3 lbs
1 jar Chicago-style giardiniera (Walmart has Mozzetta brand but I prefer either Marconi or Dell'Alpe - both come in mild or hot)

Put the roast in the crock pot; pour the giardiniera on top. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hrs; high for 6ish hours.

When done, place on a loaf (6") of Italian bread and eat away. Some may use mozzarella cheese as well on the bread but I skip the cheese.

turtlebd
Explorer
Explorer
It's just my husband and myself, so we love this recipe for Spaghetti & Meatballs. It's great to come back to the camper after an afternoon of activities and have this waiting for us! ( I even did a review for it!)
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/slow-cooker-spaghetti-meatballs-295239

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I'll agree. The Mississippi Roast is fabulous! We had it for Christmas dinner last year.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
My absolute favorite on the road or off: Mississippi Roast

Put chuck roast in slow cooker,
Sprinkle with dry Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix,
Add packet of dry McCormick Au Jus mix,
A stick of butter,
5 pepperoncini peppers.
DO NOT ADD WATER.
Cook on low for 7-8 hrs
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest and BEST tasting soup!

2 full turkey wings
4 carrots not peeled
4 full ribs of celery leaves and all
Cook on high 10 hours.

Remove all the ingredients and discard.

Makes THE BEST SOUP! Just add noodles!:C

And surprisingly it does "not" taste like turkey!!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
My absolute favorite thing in a crockpot is lasagna. I will usually freeze spaghetti sauce meat in small containers when I make it for this use.

You will need:

1 box uncooked, regular lasagna noodles
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 lb of ground hamburger, cooked with onions and garlic
1 container ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1 cup parmesan cheese
3-4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Combine ricotta cheese, parmesan, eggs and 1 cup mozz cheese in a bowl and mix well. Spoon 1/2 cup jarred spaghetti sauce and 1/2 cup water in the bottom of crockpot. Break noodles and completely cover bottom of pot. Layer 1/2 cup sauce/water and 1/3 of the hamburger mixture, then layer ricotta mixture and then 1/3 of the cheese. Continue layering until all ingredients are gone. Put lid on crockpot and cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8-9 hours.

A nice salad, a loaf of Italian bread and your have a wonderful meal for at least 6-8 people. Any leftovers can go in the fridge or freezer in individual Tupperwear containers.

Another favorite is:
Quick and Easy Crockpot Curry Chicken

4 boneless chicken breasts cut into 2-3 pieces each (or 6 boneless thighs)
1 can Cream of Chicken condensed soup
2 TBL curry powder, add more/less to taste (madras, if you like it spicy)
2 green apples, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups water or chicken broth

Add ingredients to crockpot, stir well and cook on high for 4 hrs or 6-7 hrs on low. Serve over white rice.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
My very favorite crock pot recipe is the pork butt simmered in Dr. Pepper.
  • Put carrots and a pork butt in the crock pot
  • Pour a 12 oz can of Dr. Pepper over it (do not use diet - bad chemical reactions)
  • Let it cook all day (6 - 8 hours).

Serve it up over egg noodles. Add a slice of crusty bread and a salad if not too tired.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus