Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Narrowing down my search for a Class A gasser
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Narrowing down my search for a Class A gasser

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, we went to the Greensboro RV show yesterday, (What a disappointment from years gone by) Found the features we liked, now have to find who makes the unit that has them all. Looking for V-10 drive, opposing front slides, laundry connections.
If this sounds like yours, let me know what you have so I can start looking for one like it.

To be clear, I'm not trying to buy your's, I just want to know what it is, if it has these features.

* This post was edited 01/06/18 01:16pm by 3 dog nights *

Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ozzy & Dobby

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

now-2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 dog nights wrote:

OK, we went to the Greensboro RV show yesterday, (What a disappointment from years gone by) Found the features we liked, now have to find who makes the unit that has them all. Looking for V-10 drive, opposing front slides, laundry connections.
If this sounds like yours, let me know what you have so I can start looking for one like it.

To be clear, I'm not trying to buy your's, I just want to know what it is, if it has these features.

Don't own one, but how about this 1 1/2 bath model, that has some quality built into it.... NEWMAR

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E__Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! Checks all of the boxes, I'll look into it. Anybody else?

irishtom29

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34PA. The features you want plus a large john and shower and great bones—26,000 pound chassis and 252” wheelbase on a 36 foot 1 inch length—no awkward long rear overhang. They have the basics down right.

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35p.
Did you stop by RV outlet USA in Danville VA. On your way to Greensboro? They have one in stock with the washer/dryer combo for $140k out the door.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the current Class A gassers are on Ford chassis with a Ford V-10 engine so they're all going to be the same in that regard. What matters is the build quality of the 'house'. Newmar and Tiffin are the quality leaders in my book. Winni and Fleetwood tied for 3rd. Thor is dead last.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

irishtom29

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 11:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

All of the current Class A gassers are on Ford chassis with a Ford V-10 engine so they're all going to be the same in that regard...

I disagree with the assertion they’re all the same. Ford makes various capacity chassis and one maker will use a 24,000 pound chassis for a given length and another will use a 22,000 pound or even 20,500 chassis. And wheelbase varies among builders and I go with the notion the longer the better. A 34 foot Bounder has a 22,000 chassis and a 208 inch wheelbase, a 34 foot Tiffin a 24,000 chassis and a 228 inch wheelbase. Significant differences that will manifest themselves in payload, handling and stability.

* This post was edited 01/07/18 07:22am by irishtom29 *

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

irishtom29 wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

All of the current Class A gassers are on Ford chassis with a Ford V-10 engine so they're all going to be the same in that regard...

I disagree with the assertion they’re all the same. Ford makes various capacity chassis and one maker will use a 24,000 pound chassis for a given length and another will use a 22,000 pound or even 20,500 chassis. And wheelbase varies among builders and I go with the notion the longer the better. A 34 foot Bounder has a 22,000 chassis and a 208 inch wheelbase, a 34 foot Tiffin a 24,000 chassis and a 228 inch wheelbase. Significant differences that will manifest themselves in payload, handling and stability.

Very well put and something that not many will pay any attention to.
I hear it constantly, how there's no difference between two models, other than the price.
It gets really complicated with DP's, with so much more to consider.
The main thing is, that it has a huge TV, with a fireplace under it...[emoticon]

3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is why I love this site, real life info! Thanks guys, still shopping.

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another difference in the build process is sound & heat reduction insulation. Take a ride in them, on the Hwy and rough roads, if you can. I think Newmar and Tiffin excel in these areas. Winnie is a close third.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Narrowing down my search for a Class A gasser
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS