Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Propane Regulator Frozen?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Propane Regulator Frozen?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rrunner

Chilliwack, BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had some rather cold weather here recently (below freezing)and when I went to check the RV furnace it wouldn't fire. I checked the regulator and the gauge of green/red triangles was showing indicating no fuel. My tanks had propane so I took them inside for a couple of days but same result. I poured boiling water over the regulator but again nothing. Stove won't work either. Nothing is getting past the regulator ! Any suggestions?

❚ Did you read the FTS "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
    Forum Technical Support (FTS) is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
    member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using FTS for RV related
    questions. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

* This post was edited 01/06/18 01:16pm by an administrator/moderator *

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Location?

I've read on these forums that fuelers in southern states cheat and fill cylinders with inferior butane instead of actual propane. Butane turns liquid at -1c, which can be trouble in cold weather.

Try pouring some cold water on the regulator.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the regulator is more than five years old... just get a new one.

https://www.amazon.com/Cavagna-890-0006C-Auto-Changeover-Regulator

May as well get new pigtails too.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rrunner

Chilliwack, BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for posting originally in the wrong section.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last winter I was blow apart at the suggestion that an RV regulator could freeze up in extreme cold, as I've seen home (city) gas lines between the gas meter and the house freeze several times in my lifetime (the regulator). So ya, I still stand by my own experiences. It could be frozen, especially if there was water vapor in the mix. Get an electric heating pad and wrap it around the regulator and let it warm up. See if that helps.

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

rrunner

Chilliwack, BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know some regulators can freeze up as we had some vehicles that were propane powered and at times in the winter we had to pour hot water over the regulator.

I NOW have a happy ending to my problem. I had a suggestion that I remove the tank and tap it on the ground as a check valve ball may have been sticking and then open the valve slowly. I just went out and removed my tank then banged it twice on the driveway. I replaced the tank in the RV, hooked up my pig tail, I then opened the valve slowly to make the regulator think I didn't have a broken line and the site glass on the regulator turned green. I then lite my stove top and furnace and all is well again.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

Location?

I've read on these forums that fuelers in southern states cheat and fill cylinders with inferior butane instead of actual propane. Butane turns liquid at -1c, which can be trouble in cold weather.

Try pouring some cold water on the regulator.

Nobody sells Butane for RV Tanks or ASME tanks in the USA. Butane is available in Mexico. Doug

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rrunner wrote:

I know some regulators can freeze up as we had some vehicles that were propane powered and at times in the winter we had to pour hot water over the regulator.

I NOW have a happy ending to my problem. I had a suggestion that I remove the tank and tap it on the ground as a check valve ball may have been sticking and then open the valve slowly. I just went out and removed my tank then banged it twice on the driveway. I replaced the tank in the RV, hooked up my pig tail, I then opened the valve slowly to make the regulator think I didn't have a broken line and the site glass on the regulator turned green. I then lite my stove top and furnace and all is well again.

Next time.....just close cylinder service valve. Wait 30 seconds then slowly open service valve

That 'check valve'----it is inside that Big Green ACME Nut on the pigtail hose
Called an 'Excess Flow Device'......ball bearing that is held in center position (open) via spring. When you open service valve the ball bearing moves away from inlet (towards RV) limiting the flow of propane until the downstream system pressure equalizes with the inlet pressure then spring pushes ball bearing back to full open position

Opening service valve to fast 'trips' ball bearing due to sudden inrush of propane (high flow)

[image]

Banging cylinder on ground just dents bottom platform of cylinder.
Has no affect on correcting flow issue.

OPD Valve (Overfill Protection Device)has several components
*Float device that 'stops' filling with liquid propane at 80% level
(Stops 'Liquid' IN but has no affect on 'Vapor' flowing OUT)
*Pressure Relief Valve (Opens if pressure exceeds 300 psi)
*Spring loaded shut off valve .....will not allow vapor to flow out of cylinder IF ACME Nut/pigtail hose is NOT connected or if High temp melts the thermal bushing in ACME Nut.
*Liquid Level Fixed Gauge Valve (Bleeder Valve)

(None of which will stop vapor flow and be corrected by banging cylinder on ground)

Just valving out cylinders....making sure no propane appliances are ON/no leaks..then valving in OPD slowly would have corrected your flow issue.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First a very good job of symptom posting.> Thank you, YOu have identified a list of only 2 suspects this is great.

KEY FACT: Red/Green indicator in the RED (this is before the Regulator), By posting that one fact you have cleared the regulator and that follows it, ,

On Modern ACME tanks (they have external right hand threads) there is a valve that must be depressed. Kind of like a valve stem valve in a tire to releast propane to the regulator. IT IS possible the cold has "Contracted" the connector enough to close that valve.. Make sure the connetions are tight.

ODDS of this being the problem.... Very low

Best suspect: The tanks were filled in the SOUTH and the crooked dealer told you he was putting in Propane, and billed you for PROPANE but actually used the less expensive BUTANE which will not vaporise when water freezes.. He pocketed the "Savings" which is why he is crooked.

Have it checked by a pro.> I'm betting on Butane in the tanks

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Best suspect: The tanks were filled in the SOUTH and the crooked dealer told you he was putting in Propane, and billed you for PROPANE but actually used the less expensive BUTANE which will not vaporise when water freezes.. He pocketed the "Savings" which is why he is crooked.

Have it checked by a pro.> I'm betting on Butane in the tanks

According to Doug this never happens outside Mexico.

The OP considers his location classified information.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Propane Regulator Frozen?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS