Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Sealing on the sides
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Sealing on the sides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
cm2785

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys, I know lap sealant is used for the roof and silicone is a big no no on the rubber roofs but from what I’ve seen silicone is used on the sides of the rig to seal things like marker lights etc. Its supposed to rain here in two days and I wanted to go around and seal a couple things. Can you guys recommend the Best thing to use seal on the side of my 1996 Bounder? Thanks!

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to use the CLEAR urethane caulking. This is used on most windows and seems to adhere and last longer than silicone. It is available at Home Depot, Lowes, or any hardware store. I clean the surfaces with denatured alcohol first.

sailor_lou

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always used silicone for sealing joints and windows on RV's and boats with great success. The only issue is to be sure to remove all the previously installed material. Although it adheres well to fiberglass, metals and plastics, it will not bond to previously installed cured silicone. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I like to use the CLEAR urethane caulking. This is used on most windows and seems to adhere and last longer than silicone. It is available at Home Depot, Lowes, or any hardware store. I clean the surfaces with denatured alcohol first.

This is generally what I use as well. In particular, I've had good luck so far with OSI Quad, and particularly the "Max" variant which is a good bit easier to apply neatly. The times I've had trouble with it, it's been due to poor or incomplete surface preparation.

Silicone seals well, but is very very hard to deal with when you need to renew the seal as basically nothing will stick to cured silicone, so it's essential to remove all traces of it before resealing.

For things like baggage compartment holdback latches or clearance lights or other small items bolted on, I've used plumber's putty with decent results.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the major issue (form me) with silicone is that it breaks down in UV. It works great behind clearance lights, etc where it's protected.
It is awful hard to get off later though.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

cm2785

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

This is generally what I use as well. In particular, I've had good luck so far with OSI Quad, and particularly the "Max" variant which is a good bit easier to apply neatly. The times I've had trouble with it, it's been due to poor or incomplete surface preparation.

Silicone seals well, but is very very hard to deal with when you need to renew the seal as basically nothing will stick to cured silicone, so it's essential to remove all traces of it before resealing.

For things like baggage compartment holdback latches or clearance lights or other small items bolted on, I've used plumber's putty with decent results.

Thanks guys I see the quad and the quad max but the max doesn’t come in clear only white and color.

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used only butyl tape to seal all outside openings, including lights, etc. I have also always used this on my boats. Never had anything leak, always easy to remove if necessary and easy to reseal when I need to remove anything. Not all butyl tape is alike, so use a good quality. Chuck

sailor_lou

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure where all this info about silicone breaking down from UV is coming from, but that's not what I am reading or have experienced.

Dow Corning

Stockwell

Chamberlin

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never had silicone break down from UV but it is a problem if you need to remove something and re-seal it. Nothing sticks to a surface that has had silicone applied, not even more silicone. The only way to get anything to stick is to remove the surface until all silicone is gone. Think sanding. Chuck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Sealing on the sides
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS