cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rte 50 in Colorado

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling from Colorado Springs Colorado to Black Canyon NP is Rte 50 good Rte for 37 ft class A with 16 ft trailer
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.
24 REPLIES 24

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
rickwellman wrote:
That was Rte 24

That's the way we go right to Buena Vista and the Collegiates.

Enjoy,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
That was Rte 24
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to ask about Rte 25 off I 70 to Colorado Springs is this a good road?

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Wolfe10, You had to say all that. Just don't! Actually, Monarch is 11,300. Ran it in a truck for years. When you get up around the top, find a place and go wading in the creek that runs east down it.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
bitubo wrote:
I would avoid 24, taking the shortcut to penrose/50 and enjoy the trip.

I drive it 30 times a year, half in my DP. I would do U.S. 24 to Buena, then south to U.S. 50......much better IMO.

It is nothing for a MH, just the descent. I would take it NICE and SLOW on the back of Monarch pass.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
I am always a bit reluctant to offer advice on mountain driving.

There are TWO aspects that must be considered:

The rig.

The driver. While advice from a guy living and driving most of his life in the Rockies with exactly the same rig could, with all confidence say NO PROBLEM, that exact same route might be extremely challenging to a "flat lander".

Knowing how and when to use engine braking, how and when to use service brakes, the need for brake fluid to be good (not hydrated), etc do not necessarily come with a driver's license.

All true, but unless a member specifically asks how to descend a steep grade, then we must assume that they're proficient in the operation of their rig over all kinds of terrain.
I would hope that most of us know that using your brakes when descending, should be done sparingly and if not, then you're not geared down to where you should be. Even then, there's a proper way to apply your brakes when necessary.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
and remember to pull over when possible to let traffic pass you when it gets stacked up behind you
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention I have a Harley Davidson trike in the trailer so I base camp and enjoy some great rides.

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. I drove thru california, oregon, Washington state, montana idaho ,south dakota last year with this rig and learned some valuable experience in doing so. Got a lot of great information from a lot of good and experienced people.

bitubo
Explorer
Explorer
I would avoid 24, taking the shortcut to penrose/50 and enjoy the trip.
'13 Voltage 3795
'10 F450 King Ranch
'00 CBR600F4
'01 R1100S

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Drove tractor trailer over it many times. Just a hard pull but not bad. Beautiful scenery. There's only 1 way to learn mountain driving, drive the mountains.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
I am always a bit reluctant to offer advice on mountain driving.

There are TWO aspects that must be considered:

The rig.

The driver. While advice from a guy living and driving most of his life in the Rockies with exactly the same rig could, with all confidence say NO PROBLEM, that exact same route might be extremely challenging to a "flat lander".

Knowing how and when to use engine braking, how and when to use service brakes, the need for brake fluid to be good (not hydrated), etc do not necessarily come with a driver's license.

My thoughts as well.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
check road conditions!
one year there was an accident on 50 and we were routed up 9 to Hartsel
no fun!

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Drove it last September and wasn't bad, I only went as far west as Gunnison before heading north to Crested Butte/Taylor Park. Love the drive along the Arkansas between Pueblo and Salida, just beautiful. Monarch Pass isn't too bad.

Side note, since I'm from Kansas we call the river Ar-Kansas instead of like the state Arkansas, get some funny looks from people sometimes. Well it is our Kansas river as it flows through Kansas anyway, lol.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado