cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading TC with a Dually challenging?

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
SO just kicking around the idea that I MAY get another TC one day and now drive a dually. My fenders look pretty fat in my side mirrors, 96".

My question is, is it super tight loading a TC with swing outs on to a dually? I was pretty good at loading/unloading my previous TC's by myself in about 10 minutes (9-10', electric jacks) and often did camping for more than 2 days. I would load and unload a lot and was pretty comfortable. Previously had SRW Super Duty.

Thanks
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73
30 REPLIES 30

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Atchafalaya Man great idea.
We were just saying we need to get back to Lafayette and restock from Dons Meat market. We usually do lunch at Café Vermillionville, which was my families tavern 200 years ago.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see my top rail at all and even for closing the front gap I have to use phone camera as my head with not fit at the angle to see it, but the hanging weights show that it can be done with fancy, but also prone to failure laser.
Now I am thinking about weights hanging under the camper wall and small, removable trim clamped to dually fender for guidance.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
That is an awesome idea!

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Atchafalaya_man
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of the truck or camper, this might work for some of you. Used these for years to load by myself.

Weighted fishing bobbers hanging from cup hooks are oriented where they align with the inner top edge of the truck's box. If you can match the truck box with the bobbers again you are straight and centered.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Mine loads OK, but my unlevel ground leading to the shop makes it a challenge.

I left it on the truck this winter.

My truck and camper loading
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you need 2 lasers on the truck.
The only technical issue is how to mount laser on driver side mirror so it would be always parallel with the truck.
Than you make couple of Plexiglas flappers mounted under camper side overhang (1 on front 2nd on the back) and you have all reference points you needed.
You even can make cross reference that will confirm camper height as well.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm.....thinking out loud....the issues are angularity and parallel. Measuring from 2 fixed points on the truck (mirrors?) to 2 fixed points on the camper (rear jacks?)should give both. That is done all over the world aligning drivers to driven in the turbo machinery world using laser alignment tools.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Fuzzy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
That is how I ended with few scratches inside my bed.
I tried to keep it clean, but it is not working too well regardless factory mat.
All the systems will help to some degree, but what makes me wonder why in those years no manufacturer developed really working system.
I've been doing fine observing just mirrors, but my senses are getting dull with age, so I might work on it sometime.
I think laser on driver side mirror and reference points added to the side of camper along the main floor would be bulletproof.
At least for drivers who have good eyes.

Yup. I have so little room between the wheel wells that distance from the jacks is of no concern. Centered and straight I have no issues. Now if the truck bed were square.

Doug
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 6spd auto.

2007 Lance 1191

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
Yes. I found, though more critical and less wiggle room, easier with DRW to get centered and square. Before SRW I sighted in bed trying to judge distance between wheel wells, now I just watch the gap from fenders to jacks in the mirrors, and generally less jockeying to get square. If the gap remains same as Im backing under were square.

That's good technique for the rear, but you are loosing control how front of the camper goes.
Took me some time to find reverence points. The gutter under lower front window should stick 1.5" over the truck railing on both sides, but that is hard to see from driver seat and require getting out.
Still on long ran, beside the laser, I think gluing small hook under overhang and hanging pinpong ball that should touch driver side window at certain point would be easy enough.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Yes. I found, though more critical and less wiggle room, easier with DRW to get centered and square. Before SRW I sighted in bed trying to judge distance between wheel wells, now I just watch the gap from fenders to jacks in the mirrors, and generally less jockeying to get square. If the gap remains same as Im backing under were square.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the info guys, piece of cake!
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
billyray50 wrote:
Area13 wrote:
Thanks all for the input. Sounds like not a huge deal with practice and help initially. Miss having a TC, a LOT.

Hey Clint, Hopefully we will welcome you back. Yes the DRW is tighter with the fenders but once they pass the front jacks smooth sailing.

I hope so too, working on the Wife!
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That is how I ended with few scratches inside my bed.
I tried to keep it clean, but it is not working too well regardless factory mat.
All the systems will help to some degree, but what makes me wonder why in those years no manufacturer developed really working system.
I've been doing fine observing just mirrors, but my senses are getting dull with age, so I might work on it sometime.
I think laser on driver side mirror and reference points added to the side of camper along the main floor would be bulletproof.
At least for drivers who have good eyes.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't forget about the fender well clearance INSIDE the bed!

It's the same, SRW or DRW, no more than 1" per side. If you've got at least that much on the outside you're golden.

Case in point, I have 1-1/2" between the jacks and the dually fenders outside, and only 3/4" between the camper and fender wells inside. There is no way I can hit a jack with a fender, and still get the camper on the truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.