cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CR-V towing

jdb_5
Explorer
Explorer
Also looking at a 2012 Honda CR-V EX-L w/Navi. Anyone have experience with battery drain with all this new technology; what is the best/easiest fix so I don't have to be constantly pulling fuses during trips?
9 REPLIES 9

philandterri
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a 2014 CRV (no navigation) several thousand miles so far ith no battery issues, radio off and no accessories plugged in. Travel at most 300 a day. Previous 2003 CRV had battery dead once but it was 4 years old.

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't want to pull fuses or use fuse switches just run a charge line from you MH to the CRV. Dick

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 CRV. We did run down the battery a couple of times towing so I bought a switch that has in insert between the power and the wires to the radio. I turn it off when going into tow mode, and it keeps the battery from running low. IIRC, it's a Roadmaster Fusemaster. It was something of a pain to install (I'm old and fat), but it works great. We've used it for years of full timing without ever having a dead battery.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We did this to our 2013 CRV to prevent battery drain. It worked out great.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27443336/gotomsg/27444131.cfm#27444131
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't towed my CRV but there are lots of complaints about the undersized batteries that came with CRV's - you might consider upgrading your battery.

When I did my research I seem to recall there was a fuse that you could pull but it was PIA to reach - some would hardwire a switch to take that fuse "off-line" and some would run power from RV to Honda. Easy Google.
Kevin

jdb_5
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for your help guys; I would like to keep the battery connected; therefore, will install a charging line from rig to toad battery, maybe get one of those small battery jumpers

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed a CRV, it was an older model. But, for mine I had to just turn the key to position 1 and turn off the radio. That was it. My wife's van has the sophisticated interface but, you can turn it off. Not sure if that applies to a 2012 CRV. I can say that the CRV was an awesome car. Maybe the best, most reliable car we ever owned. I had it 12 years and the only repairs worth noting was I had to replace a radiator, $200.00 and an hour's work, and a distributor, $135.00 and 30 minutes work. I used it as a trade after my wife crashed her van and we had moved from a motorhome to a travel trailer. Didn't need the CRV anymore.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Your posts belong here
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You need to post this in the dinghy towing forum for better response. Maybe a mod can move it?
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley