cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

battery drain lincoln mkz

jdb_5
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone towing a Lincoln mkz, non hybrid? I have read a lot about how to deal with residual drain on the battery (all the new technology). What do you do to address this issue; I would like to make it simple.

John
2006 Monaco Executive
looking at a 2017 Lincoln MKZ
5 REPLIES 5

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem on our 2014 Flex. I added a battery disconnect on the negative post of the battery. Attached a separate pair of 16ga wires one to the positive post and the other before the disconnect and ran the wires into the interior to an additional 12v power socket for our Patriot Barking System. No dead battery since.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
All modern cars have SOME amount of residual drain. The question is how much, how long and how frequent.

When you first shut your car off, the drain could be as high as 1-3 amps, but that won't last for more than a few seconds. Once everything is really shutdown and asleep, the draw should be very small (10-20 ? milliamps).

However, many pieces of electronics will occasionally (3-10 minutes ?) "wake up", check a few things, possibly make an adjustment and go back to sleep. That whole process usually only takes a few seconds during which the draw could shoot up (100-200 ? milliamps) unless it has to turn on a motor (like with some automatic leveling systems).

The typical "goal" is to NOT deplete the battery during a 2 week, "no start" cycle. Remember this next time you park your car at the airport for an extended period of time. The only solution is disconnect the battery or have one of those new small jump packs.

I have a close friend who leaves his new Cadillac in the garage for three months every summer while he is gone to summer in New York. Never a problem and no one starts it while he's gone.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
These posts in Dinghy towing contain subject vehicle.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You need to post this in the dinghy towing forum for better response. Maybe a mod can move it?
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
All modern cars have SOME amount of residual drain. The question is how much, how long and how frequent.

When you first shut your car off, the drain could be as high as 1-3 amps, but that won't last for more than a few seconds. Once everything is really shutdown and asleep, the draw should be very small (10-20 ? milliamps).

However, many pieces of electronics will occasionally (3-10 minutes ?) "wake up", check a few things, possibly make an adjustment and go back to sleep. That whole process usually only takes a few seconds during which the draw could shoot up (100-200 ? milliamps) unless it has to turn on a motor (like with some automatic leveling systems).

The typical "goal" is to NOT deplete the battery during a 2 week, "no start" cycle. Remember this next time you park your car at the airport for an extended period of time. The only solution is disconnect the battery or have one of those new small jump packs.