Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to buy and how pay

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

we are come from Germany. In a few month we start the full time tour during the States. So we have questions...

Can someone tell me if the Prices to buy an RV changes during the year ? In Germany the Prices in autumn and winter are very low, in the springs high.

Second question:

how i can pay the RV, when i buy from a private seller or a dealer ? Opening a bankaccount and transfer the Money from my bank is the first step, i think. And then...Cashier check ?

Thanks a lot

Stefan
25 REPLIES 25

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it can. We want to create a LCC in Montana, so we pay no salestax and have an adress for the DMV, insurance etc.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
can a LLC or similar be set up to "own" this rv?
bumpy

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
re. big bag of cash. aren't there issues with over 10,000 cash purchases?
bumpy

Cash transfers over $10,000 need to be documented to the IRS, to be legal in the U.S. It is just a matter of filling out the proper form. The form is not necessary for larger transactions through banks (including checks) because those are reported by the banks automatically, and actually cleared differently. It takes me much longer to clear a $60,000 check or a $300,000 check than it does for a $500 or $5000 transfer.

Biggest hurdle will be title and registration, which usually must be issued to a person (or equivalent legal entity) resident in the state in which this is done. This has been almost universal as the states changed their practices to comply with Homeland Security requirements. There are law firms that specialize in handling this, although many visitors simply use a legal resident known to them as their proxy.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
A wired transfer form one back to the other shouldn't take long. I know of other times locally, a typical transfer is done right away to guarantee funds. Other large from one state to another and one bank to another has taken a couple days. You will need to check with the banks for details. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
i dont know how long the transfer is,

but at this time i do not have the title or something else in my Hand, right ?
We want to Register the RV in Montana, so i dont go with the seller to the DMV, or ?

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
i agree with valhalla and the others, just make sure however you need to do it. The banks should be able to wire the money as long as they have routing number etc. other than that, not sure about the $$$ stuff. the DMV will be able to insure it is a clear title. If the seller is hesitant of doing that, stay clear of the sale. In the meantime, make sure when choosing the unit you want, make sure you like the floor plan, try everything out, sit on the toilet, sit at the kitchen table, act like you are using the sink, simulate sleeping, watching tv, etc. this will help you know the usability is good and and what you will be comfortable with. Maybe we will see you in our travels. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
schubi wrote:
Hi,

thanks für all the postings ! You are fantastic.

We flight in Mai to Boston or Washington and rent for 2 weeks a house. So we can buy everything what we need in this time. In june we flight back to Germany for a week and have the interview for the green Card/Visum. Then the adventure started....

One thing i dont understand. You tell that i go with the seller to his bank and make a Transfer to his account.

How can I make a bank transfer in his bank when ist not my bank?

About the clear title, can i phone the DMV and ask him if the title is ok ?

Thanks
Stefan

You get a bank transfer from your EU bank. You will need his bank info but otherwise, straight forward.

Title is a little tougher as there isn't good cooperation between states. Go with the seller to the DMV to do the transfer is about the best you can reasonably do as there isn't a nation wide clearing house, so there is an off chance it has a lean in another state.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

We did that last summer for $15k. It was thru a dealer so they had us sign a form that it would be reported to the IRS but since it's all legit, who cares?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

thanks für all the postings ! You are fantastic.

We flight in Mai to Boston or Washington and rent for 2 weeks a house. So we can buy everything what we need in this time. In june we flight back to Germany for a week and have the interview for the green Card/Visum. Then the adventure started....

One thing i dont understand. You tell that i go with the seller to his bank and make a Transfer to his account.

How can I make a bank transfer in his bank when ist not my bank?

About the clear title, can i phone the DMV and ask him if the title is ok ?

Thanks
Stefan

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
if buying from a private seller, make sure you have a clear title, this can be done through the dmv. Also make sure you know how everything operates,this way you don't get someone else troubles. I know it is costly, but yo might want to rent one for a week and drive to the place you are thinking of buying. You can also fly into somewhere, rent a car, go chekc out several in the area. Quartzsite Arizona is getting ready for the annual rv show, they have hotels there also. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
There can be seasonal differences in prices, but... figure out what you want, buy it, and go on your trip. Saving a few dollars by delaying your trip or changing where and when you want to go really may not be worth it.

wise words
bumpy

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
There can be seasonal differences in prices, but... figure out what you want, buy it, and go on your trip. Saving a few dollars by delaying your trip or changing where and when you want to go really may not be worth it.

mudhound
Explorer
Explorer
I'd find the model and make of what i'd like to have 1st.
Then, i'd contact a dealer or 6 or 8 and work out a deal before i came over.
:C

God Bless

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
malexander wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

I've never had any problems with cash. I bought an airplane with cash, $26,000.00. 100 dollar bills.

I thought it was banks/lending institutions that had to notify the feds. no problem if buying "stuff" in an alley from a private individual.
bumpy