Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Fulltime traveling with 5er
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Fulltime traveling with 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

am all new to this forum as well as RV'ing and would very much appreciate input you might give me. I have spent days reading through the threads here :-), and then decided to write my own post.

I have location independent business (yacht charter agency) and experience in "camping on yachts" having sailed in winter atlantic as well as nice warm carribean. And now, me and my better half, have decided its time to go discovering inland. For that we are planning to pend cca $50k on the used rig and tow vehicle.

As it stands right now (3 months before we make the move) i am looking at 2015 Sierra 3500HD / Silverado 3500 HD and used 5er with polar/all weather package. We are looking under 30" 5ers that would allow us to access smaller campsites especially the ones in national parks etc.

Plan is to start on east coast and follow it all the way to keys then turn west and along the gulf coast to reach CA, then continue all the way up north to Seattle and then cross to Canada and possibly make it all the way to AK.

Thats plan so far we are using www.roadtrippers.com to plan the trip and major stops. And also have planed some alternative trips (baja, yucatan etc.).

Any input and/or comments are more than welcome :-)

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That truck may be a bit larger than necessary to tow a 30" (30 inch) trailer. You might want to consider a slightly larger 5th wheel for full time as that one won't even have room for the booze! [emoticon]

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah :-) i spotted it as soon as i hit "post" :-) .... i chose that one intentionally to have capacity to upgrade the 5er if indeed 30ft is too small without need to upgrade TV.

We have sailed on yachts 30-50ft and there is much less space than in 30ft 5er and have lived on board for extended periods so 30ft seems like a good starting point for us. Unless you guys give me some good points to go bigger which i haven't thought of.

* This post was edited 01/05/18 05:38am by bacil *

NMDriver

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

30 ft is plenty big for two people who like each others company. If you don't then 40ft will not be big enough.

A 1 ton truck is not to much for a 30ft trailer. It is carry capacity that you are concerned about in a 5er not pulling capacity. A 3/4 ton will pull it easy but you can get very close to the carry capacity of a 3/4 ton in some of the heavier 30ft trailer, especially if you add in spare fuel tank, generators, firewood, tools, etc into the bed of the truck. You will want to consider a auxiliary fuel tank or plan to carry 10 or so gallons in cans. You will not absolutely need extra fuel capacity, but it is good to have sometimes.

I think you are about right with your choices. I would suggest that you try to get a 5er with 16 inch wheels so you will have a larger choice of LT tires instead of ST tires.

You seem to be staying along the borders and low elevations which puts you into the hotter regions in summer. For the summer months, you will be happier with two AC's. That means 50 amp service.

If you are going to boonedock for very long, you may want a generator.

There is more I could add but others will cover other wants, needs, and desires of full time 5er owners.

5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have nice trip planned. I've been full timing for 12 years. Call me if you want details.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
[email protected]
602-321-8141
K7OU
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you can buy that for $50,000?????????????
bumpy

bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@Mandalay Parr - i will :-) defo, experience on land is something i dont have :-) and is always appreciated

@Bumpyroad - for example - TV : https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/723067121/overview/ - 38k
5er : http://fw.to/mJNwcsL - 14k

thats 52k all together

so yes it is possible, i am still looking as i said the move will come in March/April time but i am already looking and shortlisting :-) so any input is more than welcome

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your choice of tow vehicle and trailer sounds very acceptable to me. For the type of traveling you are doing, you can't have too much truck! But nothing wrong with going with a longer 5er. Our TT is 35.5 feet long, two opposing slides in the rear living room, stand alone furniture (no dinette), perfect for 2 people! My tow vehicle is a 3500 diesel dually. Many think that's an over-kill, but the trouble free towing is worth every bit of it! It's great when you can tow something and not even realize it's behind you 75 percent of the time. Really, the only time I sense the trailer behind me is when making turns or backing into a campsite.

One more thing.... if you can find a truck that has the integrated brake controller ... you'll not regret it at all. Those things are great. Truly, the truck and trailer operate as one unit. He harder the truck brakes, the harder the trailer brakes. In town where driving is slower and stops are more frequent, the brakes respond on the trailer like the trailer is not even there. Combined with the exhaust brake, and to tow is marvelous.

I personally suggest looking for a truck that has all 3 of these features already installed: Integrated Brake Controller, Exhaust Brake, and Cruise Control. (Turn on all 3 and you almost never have to touch the brake or accelerator peddles unless traffic forces you to slow down).

Good luck on your adventure! Sounds like a fantastic journey!

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

That truck may be a bit larger than necessary to tow a 30" (30 inch) trailer. You might want to consider a slightly larger 5th wheel for full time as that one won't even have room for the booze! [emoticon]

I'll disagree. Better to have TOO MUCH TV than not enough. Also, make sure your TV has the optional heavy duty trailer tow package.

Finding campsites ANYWHERE in southern Florida before April will be a challenge.

TT/5ers are NOT built as well as most yachts. A couple of times a year you need to climb up on the roof, inspect to cracks/tears, wash it and spray it with a UV protectant like 303. Watch for leaks around windows as well a wet floors (roof leaks that travel down the inside of the sire walls).

Also every time you stop on the road, do a quick check of the hubs. They can be warm, not HOT and no funny smells around the wheels. Check tire pressures every morning when traveling.

Get a electrical surge protector and probably a water pressure regulator. Decide up front if you are going to boondock or not. If yes, you either need a generator or a decent "house bank" of batteries and a good inverter.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

I personally suggest looking for a truck that has all 3 of these features already installed: Integrated Brake Controller, Exhaust Brake, and Cruise Control. (Turn on all 3 and you almost never have to touch the brake or accelerator peddles unless traffic forces you to slow down).

Exhaust Brake is only required on a diesel engine.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Fulltime traveling with 5er
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS