cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best running boards for 3500 4x4 duramax?

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts or opinions for the best (meaning function and sturdy) running boards or side steps for a '16 Chevy crewcab 4x4 DRW?

Is it better to have open ones to drain ice and mud or just a rubber tread of some sort?
27 REPLIES 27

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
AMP Research PowerStep running boards. We went with them because when folded down, they are 4 inches closer to the ground than either of the Chevy stock boards. They cost more, but they make it much easier for us old folks to get in and out.

Another reason I am looking for running boards is to assist our 85# German Shepherd (Alsatian to you Brits) on entering and exiting the cab. The AMP steps are expensive but since I'm a bit of a Luddite, I was wondering how reliable are they? How long have you been running them and have you had any problems once they were installed?

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
obie311 yes I feel they are sturdy and I don't feel any flex. At the time I bought them my understanding was they were discontinued. I found only this set and that was because I called Dee Zee and they found this pair in a warehouse in Texas. I then called a dealer and told them where to get them. But I just went to Dee Zees web site and they are listed at $466

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
My CC had the tube steps when I bought it. I didn't care for them as I felt they were too narrow and a foot could easily slip off if it was slick with ice or snow. I found possibly the last set of DEE ZEE diamond plate full length boards by calling DEE ZEE this was in 14

X2 to the full length when towing a 5er! Makes getting in the bed easy!

I like the functional look of the Dee Zee's. Surprisingly my wife liked them too. I will most likely get a diamond plate toolbox for the bed eventually.

I read some reviews on the Dee Zee's that said the aluminum was too thin and that they flexed. I downloaded the installation instructions and it looked like there are three L-brackets (braces) per side. Does that anchor them securely? Is the aluminum plate thick enough?

I like the bed section that flares out to the dually fenders. Has Dee Zee discontinued that product?

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I have factory Ford full length running boards that came with my 2008 F250 - not sure exactly if dealer installed or from the factory (my dealer got the truck from another dealer with the option packages I wanted). I (and wife) find that we can get into my truck easier than our cars. Especially now with my knee surgery, the running boards are great. I also say YES to mud flaps, for front and rear (front if they are not part of the running boards). Really saves the body of the truck.

Okay, so mine were factory (or dealer) installed and they have been great for 10 years, still look great, and are as stable as the day I picked up the truck - and I USE my boards, basically every time I get in and out of the truck. Many friends of mine who had aftermarket running boards installed, even high end ones, years down the road developed rust at the bolt on points and the boards became loose, sometimes dangerously so.

INSTALLATION!!! Whatever boards you get, make sure they are installed with heavy duty, needlessly over-heavy duty, brackets, and whenever possible preferably with stainless steel bolts / connectors. A good body shop may be a better place to have them installed than a mechanic garage, as the body shop guys will be paying much more attention to potential future rusting issues.

I really like my running boards, and do recommend getting running boards.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Our 65# 3 yr. old Goldendoodle just jumps in the back seat from the ground

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
obie311 wrote:
One reason for the 'boards is to help the 85 pound german shepherd jump into the back of the crewcab. Her hips are okay now but I don't want to stress them unnecessarily. Any large dog owners' experience would be appreciated.

I have an Akita and use the Dominator wheel to wheel steps. I would recommend getting the third step. I trained my dog to put her feet up on the floor in the back of the crew cab and she waits until I lift her back end up into the pickup for that very reason.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
One reason for the 'boards is to help the 85 pound german shepherd jump into the back of the crewcab. Her hips are okay now but I don't want to stress them unnecessarily. Any large dog owners' experience would be appreciated.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
Mud flaps go on the rear. Now watch someone will say nice for a grandpa truck. Well I am one even a great grandpa

I agree 100%! I think functionality first, full length running boards not only provide a step
In, they also protect the TV paint.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

armond05
Explorer
Explorer
If budget is not a problem, AMP Research PowerStep is the best choice.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Mud flaps go on the rear. Now watch someone will say nice for a grandpa truck. Well I am one even a great grandpa

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
AMP Research PowerStep running boards. We went with them because when folded down, they are 4 inches closer to the ground than either of the Chevy stock boards. They cost more, but they make it much easier for us old folks to get in and out.

I agree, those are very nice boards and several friends have them.

I went with a stainless steel board by Lund because I like the extra protection on the doors, meaning when that little Honda Civic opens its door into your door, they hit the running board first and dent their door, not yours.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Tho not on a GM, I've used DEE ZEE full length diamond plate running boards on every truck I've owned. Newest one came w/ tube steps that the dealer wouldn't take off and give me credit for (still in shed). Reasons I go w/ them are: More area to step on, better protection to rocker panels from salt/stones, protect side of truck better from sand, snow and such and IMO better stability as fas as attachment. Just wish they still made box boards.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

kmac7800
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set that came originally on my 2016 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Duramax that I replaced with AMP, if you are interested in a more OEM look. They are the "square" flat ones with plastic/rubber where the feet go when you enter the rig. If you are nearby (SE WA State), I can let them go real cheap as they are just getting dusty in my storage room.

//KMac

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
My CC had the tube steps when I bought it. I didn't care for them as I felt they were too narrow and a foot could easily slip off if it was slick with ice or snow. I found possibly the last set of DEE ZEE diamond plate full length boards by calling DEE ZEE this was in 14

X2 to the full length when towing a 5er! Makes getting in the bed easy!
I have some running boards that are 3" stainless steel tubes around the outside, with SS ribbed top. Similar to your pic. They do not make them anymore, so I actually removed them from my 2001 dually to install on my 2011 dually.
Do that along with nice mudflaps and the paint won't take a beating on dirt gravel roads etc.

These trucks are too expensive to beat on them unnecessarily.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW