cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mini Split Air Conditioner / Heat pump

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody boondocking adopted this techno to there RV to have cold air in summer and heat in winter 24/7 while using solar?
72 REPLIES 72

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard -,thinking of oneโ€ in main cabin. Back window may be a good idea. Possibly place one in bedroom on roof. Removing old roof mounted air conditioner would permit three more 235 W panels (2100 W total then) which should allow Solar power only.
Reef and Elaine

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
I guess that not all motorhome main engines should be idled very long for special-situation battery charging. We do this kind of battery bank charging an hour here and there, but it is a fairly modern V10 engine spinning only a medium size 130 amp alternator. I've read that it consumes about 0.7 gallons of gas per hour when used this way.

We have V10 powered work trucks in our fleet that idle for sometimes extended periods of time, usually to run PTO-driven equipment.

According to the engine computer, with nothing running, it is burning about 4 litres (a little over 1 gallon) per hour doing so.

As the load increases the auto throttle kicks in and the burn rate starts to climb.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
MrWizard,

Yes the tubing can be extended on a mini split--but you have to buy precharged (with cooling medium) tubes. They do not come cheap.

My next home is a condo where I installed 3 mini split indoor with one compressor outdoor--and is a heat pump.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
i have NOT seen one on a 5vr
there are some videos on youtube, in small trailers etc..

mini splits are basically a (1) room A/C
the distant between the inside and outside sections are dictated by the lenght of the tubing in the system kit
you can make it closer, but don't think you can extend that distance
what area are you wanting to cool ? the master bedroom should be doable
the main living area (rear ?) will require the unit be mounted in the rear of the 5vr
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking into mini-split for air conditioning on fifth wheel. Does anyone have photos of one of these systems on a fifth wheel. Our current standard air conditioner sticks up to far to replace two more 235 W solar panels (shading issue). Discussions in amps gets confusing when different folks are discussing 12 V, 47 V, 120 V, and 240 V systems. Watts would be a far more facile unit of power

Reed and Elaine

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just as a reminder, from reading deep into the Earthroamer site one can learn that their design principles include not having propane on board or a generator on board. (Their cooking and coach heating are via diesel fuel from their main engine fuel tank.)

Since their design principles include that their vehicles be capable of camping for weeks just about anywhere, anytime, in any combination of sun availabilities, temperatures, and humidities ... their vehicles must of course include air conditioning being available anywhere, anytime. This air conditioning must be useable for as long as necessary, even with days and days of being in the shade, under clouded skies, or even all night.

They do this air conditioning of course via massive battery banks and as much solar as they can fit ... but they also do this regardless of how much sun is available day-in and day-out. When camping anywhere, anytime, without sacrificing comfort - the battery bank will have to be kept charged whatever way available without use of propane or an onboard generator. Hence they make use of all of their vehicles' capabilities, which includes when and if necessary ... idling of the main engine equipped with dual alternators to keep the battery bank charged during the times with little or no input from the solar panels. During these special times, they are not concerned with a large engine being idled to spin a couple of alternators. They are concerned with getting the comfort job done anywhere, anytime, all the time.

I guess that not all motorhome main engines should be idled very long for special-situation battery charging. We do this kind of battery bank charging an hour here and there, but it is a fairly modern V10 engine spinning only a medium size 130 amp alternator. I've read that it consumes about 0.7 gallons of gas per hour when used this way.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MrWizard
For staying in one spot, i agree
But it's called Earth roamer for a reason
And charging while moving, is not going to significantly make a difference compared to the added fuel use of a dedicated generator

Using it as a generator while staying in one spot for several weeks, yeah big difference
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

I would argue putting big alternators on the giant propulsion engine is effectively equivalent to a horribly inefficient generator. You can do that with just about any pickup out there but if you are going to do it with any regularity, it makes far more sense to get a dedicated generator and be done with it.

Agree -- if only running the truck engine to charge batteries.
If charging is only done while driving might still be inefficient, but it's a relatively small amount of energy compared to moving the truck / camper.
Cal

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
pnichols wrote:
As a lot of you probably know, Earthroamer campers are designed to use battery powered air conditioning (as they have no generators on board).

However:

1. Their interior coach volumes are considerably less than that of a lot of Class A/B/C motorhomes.

2. Their windows, floors, walls, and ceilings are extremely well insulated.

3. Their air conditioners can only be run 8-12 hours before their large battery banks need to be charged - via a lot of sun time and/or idling of their dual-alternator diesel main engines.

So non-generator, partially solar based air conditioning is possible ... but it takes a lot of things to be set up just right ... including a main engine that can be idled for long time periods of no sun ... and maybe a hefty bank account.

There is possibly one best way to have sustainable self-contained, anywhere/anytime sun or no sun, quiet, and non-engine-idling RV air conditioning: Install onboard a large battery bank in conjunction with a built-in high amp hour recovery rate propane fuel cell system.

I prefer to air condition an RV with a generator - believing that it's (or should be) easier and less expensive for RV manufacturers, or us owners, to come up with a quiet diesel or gas generator way to handle it.

I would argue putting big alternators on the giant propulsion engine is effectively equivalent to a horribly inefficient generator. You can do that with just about any pickup out there but if you are going to do it with any regularity, it makes far more sense to get a dedicated generator and be done with it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
They are $4200.00 and 8000 btu's

cewillis wrote:
Here's another possibility -- Arctic Breeze . No price.
Small inside
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another possibility -- Arctic Breeze . No price.
Small inside unit.
You'll see the 'recommended' power source is 6 AGM (unspecified capacity) batteries. I have 4 12v 140AH batteries. Seem to me that with a heavy duty (ie, 2 gauge) alternator charge circuit and 500+ w solar, this would be able to keep a smallish size camper from getting hotter than (your favorite hot place) during a brisk 115 degree Arizona summer afternoon on the rim of the Grand Canyon.
Cal

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a lot of you probably know, Earthroamer campers are designed to use battery powered air conditioning (as they have no generators on board).

However:

1. Their interior coach volumes are considerably less than that of a lot of Class A/B/C motorhomes.

2. Their windows, floors, walls, and ceilings are extremely well insulated.

3. Their air conditioners can only be run 8-12 hours before their large battery banks need to be charged - via a lot of sun time and/or idling of their dual-alternator diesel main engines.

So non-generator, partially solar based air conditioning is possible ... but it takes a lot of things to be set up just right ... including a main engine that can be idled for long time periods of no sun ... and maybe a hefty bank account.

There is possibly one best way to have sustainable self-contained, anywhere/anytime sun or no sun, quiet, and non-engine-idling RV air conditioning: Install onboard a large battery bank in conjunction with a built-in high amp hour recovery rate propane fuel cell system.

I prefer to air condition an RV with a generator - believing that it's (or should be) easier and less expensive for RV manufacturers, or us owners, to come up with a quiet diesel or gas generator way to handle it.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MrWizard
6000 BTU, bedroom cooling to sleep
12v 28amps 340watts

that means 8hr of cooling uses almost 240ampHrs
approx 60% of a 4Gc in series-parallel

but 500w of solar would probably run it during the daytime
but you need to have more than that to recharge the power used during the night

still its only a little above 1/4 of the power the OP was talking about 10amps*120v 1200w

340w for 6000btu cooling, very efficient

(2) of those would be 12000btu and use less than 2/3 the power of a RV roof top unit

still quite a feat to do with only solar and batteries

you can get enough solar on the roof to run A/C part of the time during the day
its running day and night 24hrs that becomes a logistics problem of returning power to batteries while keeping the A/C running at the same time
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Walkdog wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that nobody here knows anything about minisplit air conditioners vs the regular stand topside airconditioner that come stand with a RV.

I think you're mostly right -- no shortage of opinion anyway.
I was seriously looking at a 12v (or 48v -- they had both) mini-split actually made for big rigs years ago, but they were just too expensive.
There is one advertised on Ebay that's about the right size, but no clue about the quality.
Cal