cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Almost out of the North East

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
Well we're getting ready for what we hope will be our "Annual Pilgrimage" to Key West.
It took about an hour to get the motorhome out of storage. She had cold soaked for about 10 days at or near 5*. The generator was able to start as I need the block heater to let the old girl finish her pre-start sequence. BTW I've never used her in the dead of winter before.

She's in the driveway now plugged in. We have most of the summer time stuff loaded. Early next week we'll finish the clothing and put the Kayak on top of the Jeep.

This Nor'easter that's coming up the coast I hope is the last one.
We have two routes mapped out depending on the weather. I81 if I95 is snowed in and I95 if I81 is snowed in. Won't make that call till the night before we leave.

2 months in a bathing suit is going to be quite a change from this Artic blast we've been living with.

For those of you that are down there put a candle in the window for us. I'll bring cheese steaks and pretzels but no cold weather.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog
10 REPLIES 10

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Make sure you give Tradewinds a good bath to wash off the NE road salt.

I needed to get the CAT started last week to move the Sahara into a garage for a windshield replacement. It has warmed up but, like yours, mine cold soaked for over a week. Unlike yours, I don't have a block heater (Florida coach).

Stated the genny and let it run up the chassis batteries for a while, let the inlet heater warm up the box and hit the key. 3 or 4 full turns and off she went with a belch of black smoke.

Have fun in the Keys.

Don't have too much salt so far.
Looks like my water pump gave up its life. We're in a hotel full of roofing contractors. Makes a flying j parklot sound good.

We enjoy P town in the fall. Some of the best food and whale watching to be had anywhere.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you give Tradewinds a good bath to wash off the NE road salt.

I needed to get the CAT started last week to move the Sahara into a garage for a windshield replacement. It has warmed up but, like yours, mine cold soaked for over a week. Unlike yours, I don't have a block heater (Florida coach).

Stated the genny and let it run up the chassis batteries for a while, let the inlet heater warm up the box and hit the key. 3 or 4 full turns and off she went with a belch of black smoke.

Have fun in the Keys.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
We made it out today. 10 to 20 degrees all the way to Winslow, NC. Hope to make Titusville tomorrow.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
Dug out a 6ft of roll off snow from the plow last night. This weeks up coming weather is not looking good for me. Definitely have to be on the road by Sunday at the latest. That being said I won't move till it's safe.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 25 miles from Key West and I'm wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. Put on a coat when I go out. Was down to 52 this AM.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Forecast shows more snow on Monday, course that's still a long way off for weather.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Born in Key West, haven't been back since.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We'll wave to you as you go by us here in Key Largo.
Sounds like you might have timed your departure just fine.
Up until yesterday we have had it at a balmy 80 degrees almost every day, but your cold front blasted in here today with winds gusting to 35 and the temp in the mid sixties.
It is supposed to be down in the forties over night, but then a gradual warming up again just in time for you.
Kayak and paddle board conditions have been generally good in between windy fronts.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
In South Carolina, I95 goes down to 2 lanes. It's not a fun drive. Added over 2 hours to my trip home from NC last week.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck to ya! Always wanted to visit the Keys.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.