Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Looking for Class A - Newbie Needs Help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Looking for Class A - Newbie Needs Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
saenzm

Denver, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High, yep. I could see that.

StuckinTracy

Prineville Or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I lived in our 5th wheel when we first moved here in 2012. We were in it from middle of Oct. to the middle of Feb. I learned a LOT about living in the snow (my first experience) and how to handle things. Several have mentioned if you are not going to be moving a lot, then a trailer might be a better option. It can be done if you are prepared. We had a heated water hose which kept the fresh water supply available, but the dump valves kept freezing up. Most the locals told us it was a much colder than normal winter. We had 37 days straight of not getting above freezing. I had to go refill the propane tanks about every 3 days. Good luck on what ever you decide.

10 Rally's and counting...

Mike (me-pilot)
Gail ("I'M THE BOSS"-navigator)

Stuck in a tent but looking

Good Sam Life members
FMCA 370826

Blutoyz

Warwick, RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find my 20 year old 34' quite enjoyable to drive. Some things need attention and you should anticipate hills to minimize the downshift but otherwise it was quiet at 55-65mph.

I would drive a couple to see what you like before you decide gas is a bad thing

She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

Skid Row Joe

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

saenzm wrote:

Team,
Looking for a little wisdom and guidance here. I am leaning towards buying a used class A. I am new to the Class A scene and don;t know much about them. Hoping I could get some nuggets from you guys.

From some research I have done, looks like Diesel Pusher is the way to go. Is that the consensus?

What else should I consider when going used besides the obvious = records? Any brands I should stay away from?

I am considering selling my house and buying an RV site and living in it. Goal is to simplify my life. So do I need to consider the age and length (park mandates)?

Thanks!
-Mark
You've got a lot of homework ahead of you. Good luck.

“I swear to God, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity.” >'=='<

frankdamp

Anacortes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My only input is get a rig long enough to have a separate bedroom. We started out with a weird Class C, but sold it within the first season. We did much more research and decided on a Class A that was 32' long and had a permanent bedroom in back, with its own slide-out.

One major advantage was that the sale was local (30 miles from home) and it was being sold by the original owners since they weren't able to use it any more because of medical problems. At 8 years old it had 12,000 miles on the clock and 44 hours on the generator.

We found one major problem after our first trip - the topper over the bedroom slide leaked. Not a difficult fix, and no major damage. I only had to replace the cabinets over the bed.

After 4 years and about 8,000 miles, we concluded that, although 8 mpg was pretty good for a rig its size, we couldn't afford the gas prices. They were around $4.50/gallon at the time and we were digging into our IRA funds to pay for it. We sold it at a significantly lower price than we expected, but "que sera sera".

The rig was an '02 Georgetown 325S, bought in 2010 and sold in 2014. Though it wasn't a top-of-the-line unit in terms of engineering design and build quality, it served us well for 4 years. Towards the end, the generator refused to start and its electronic control card had to be replaced. Nothing else failed,

DW and I and our two Labradors enjoyed having the use of it and were sorry to have to give it up.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (9 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Looking for Class A - Newbie Needs Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS