Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Looking for Class A - Newbie Needs Help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Looking for Class A - Newbie Needs Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
saenzm

Denver, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All great info. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I need to change my profile as I recently sold my Class B and moved to Colorado. I will be staying on cold climates as I like to chase snow. Just learned there are restrictions at the site where I can only stay 8 months out of the year. I met a guy who lives in an RV park, but when I went to look at the park, it wasn't very nice. Old MHs, lots very close together, a mix of everything you can imagine. Wasn't very pretty. Tiger Run Resort in Breckenridge CO was the one I was considering. I have to stay somewhat near Denver.

Thanks for all the info.

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Mark wrote:

Mark,

If you do go over to Houston, look at Motorhome of Texas in Nacogdoches. They usually have very clean newer units. We consigned our Monaco Dynasty there back in Aug. '14.

They keep all of their units plugged in and also keep the slides in until someone is looking at it.

Your budget is going to determine diesel or gas depending on the year range that you are looking for.

Good luck.
MM.

PS. I also agree that a trailer/5th wheel would be the way to go if you are going to be stationary.

I bought my Monaco Windsor at Motorhomes of Texas. Very nice experience. No pressure and good negotiations. I've got the name of a nice guy there if you want it. Sometimes they have a variety of coaches and prices but their inventory is high end coaches much of the time.

PPL is a good site for variety in inventory and good prices.

Motorhomes of Texas
PPL Motorhomes

">Never pass up a chance to go somewhere">

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

saenzm wrote:

I am considering selling my house and buying an RV site and living in it. Goal is to simplify my life. So do I need to consider the age and length (park mandates)?

Thanks!
-Mark

seems like a lot of folks missed this part.
bumpy

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Colorado winters in a MH, better do some more research. None are insulated as well as a house.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes it's fun to do what others do and make a success at it. Certainly moving into a winter climate can be done, but spend the time to learn what others have done to succeed first. Getting into a motorhome with hopes to save money and survive the first year in a winter environment isn't easy. Lot's to learn about shielding the inside from the outside, but it's all here if you use the search engines and learn.

Start gently, find the weak links, fix them first.. keep testing the limit and don't try to jump to far until you are sure you can survive. The failure to do it right in an RV is really expensive to fix.

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers

Lwiddis

El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora Reina Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ I am new to the Class A scene...”

And apparently the RV scene too. Rent all the different RV types before you buy but if you aren’t going to drive it much think TT and 5er.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet. Bicyclist!

msturtz

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had two towable units then two motorhomes one has and now a DP. I would never go back to a towable nor a gas motorhome. What you get with a DP is a quiet comfortable ride.

FMCA member

Isaac-1

SW Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 11:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion the thing class A's are great at is mobility, pull into a spot, push a button and they are level, push a button and the slides go out, maybe hook up power, and you are set for a about a week, dump the tanks, refill the water and move on to the next spot. If you are not going to travel far, and are not going to move around often, perhaps a class A is not the best choice for you.

saenzm

Denver, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 12:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yeah, with all the good advice I am starting to rethink my plan. Glad I asked though. The advice and ideas are just what I hoped for.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you already own a home in Denver, you are ahead of the game. Most people moving here can't even find one. Living in an RV in the winter ski parks over the winter is pretty much just crazy.

I just listened to a discussion on the radio last week about recession refugees that took the RV lifestyle as a means of survival hoping to get back in the game when the economy improved, only to find out it much more difficult than anticipated and many are just trapped.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Looking for Class A - Newbie Needs Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS