Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Looking for Class A - Newbie Needs Help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Looking for Class A - Newbie Needs Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
saenzm

Denver, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Team,
Looking for a little wisdom and guidance here. I am leaning towards buying a used class A. I am new to the Class A scene and don;t know much about them. Hoping I could get some nuggets from you guys.

From some research I have done, looks like Diesel Pusher is the way to go. Is that the consensus?

What else should I consider when going used besides the obvious = records? Any brands I should stay away from?

I am considering selling my house and buying an RV site and living in it. Goal is to simplify my life. So do I need to consider the age and length (park mandates)?

Thanks!
-Mark

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion, I would buy one with the floor plan you like. Especially if you are going to live in it. I have never driven a diesel pusher but I am very happy with the way my gas class A drives. You will get many options on which brands to stay away from but if you aren't happy with the floor plan, you won't be happy.

Burch

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your house might be cheaper to own. These units need a good run once a month. Oil changes once a year and all the other thing that get change and break. RV are not cheap to fix if you do not do most of the work. They break just setting there just like you house does. Batteries is just one of the items that need to be looked after and replace when needed.

I sure you will get a lot of ideals here. Look at something that will stand the cold if you like the cold.

Read the first time buyers guide on the forum also

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a trailer if you plan to just buy an RV site and live in the coach. You will get more, spend less, and have MUCH lower maintenance costs.

CLR1294

FLORIDA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From one newbie to another. We just bought our first Motor home, it's a Class A gas. All the sales man told us there is basically no difference in MPG between gas and diesel. The diesel has more power for the hills and a lot bigger price tag for repair. The best thing for you to do is look at the different models to see what you would like to live in. It took us about three months to find the right model.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as said, park a trailer on the RV site. don't even need something to tow it with, have somebody move it in, and pay to relocate if desired.
A DP would be about at the bottom of my list of desirables.
bumpy

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel pushers drive the best, smoothest, quietest but most expensive. I didn't like the A gassers until I started driving them more (at work) and I'm getting to like them alot. In order of preference I would get a Newmar first followed by Tiffin. Winni and Fleetwood would be next in a tie. Thor is at the absolute bottom of my preferences (cheaply made). In the RV industry you get what you pay for - buy cheap get cheap.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MountainAir05 wrote:

These units need a good run once a month.

Not so. Many snowbirders let them sit for months at a time. It's also worse to let them run on the site than to take it out for a long drive.

Since you're in Texas, take a look at this site and pick out a few in your price range and floorplan for you then take a drive to Houston to check them out to get an idea of what you can get in your price range.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mark,

If you do go over to Houston, look at Motorhome of Texas in Nacogdoches. They usually have very clean newer units. We consigned our Monaco Dynasty there back in Aug. '14.

They keep all of their units plugged in and also keep the slides in until someone is looking at it.

Your budget is going to determine diesel or gas depending on the year range that you are looking for.

Good luck.
MM.

PS. I also agree that a trailer/5th wheel would be the way to go if you are going to be stationary.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

John Wayne

Long Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some say if driving 10,000 miles or more a year go Diesel. If less go Gas.If your gong to stay at one location for months at a time get a 5th wheel. Remember if you get an A you will need to get something to tow behind it for side trips and going to the store etc.

John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 129,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Looking for Class A - Newbie Needs Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS