cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost of travel

Tom_Mary_Lou
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering what costs are like in Canada. Would be our first time out of the country. I use the Allstays app to look for campgrounds. Not sure if they are indicating US dollars or Canadian with their $$$. All info is appreciated. ML
Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS
32 REPLIES 32

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot of free camping in the hinterlands of canada/queens land and other areas where you can just do a quick overnight. THAT would save you a lot of money but you are going to spend it in gas and food.
Donna

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
daveB110 wrote:
We prefer to drive across our countries by going on the highways to the south, where fuel is less expensive. Years ago we did a lot of north-south travel, on our way to Mexico. In those earliest days, the exchange rate with the USD was terrible for Canadians, especially 2003. Lots of talk around Canada about whether or not we should adopt the U.S currency, as several countries like Ecuador, have done. Traveling through the U.S. from Canada in those days simply meant we didn't linger, but headed for Mexico. Our dollar then was pegged to be valued around 64 cents for a USD. Mexico was a nice change of pace where our money was worth more, and fuel for a gasoline engine was both less and more: lower price (and they used litros to our litres- not gallons) and better fuel - gas was not mixed with "other things." Many things are different nowadays, however.

I agree, the costs will vary depending on where you travel in Canada or the US. As an example, a gallon of diesel here in town in southern California is $3.50, when we left Canada a liter cost just over $1, and at about 3.8 liters to the US gallon the Canadian cost was about equivalent after considering the exchange rate.

It might cost a bit more in Canada depending on what you buy and where you buy it. If you buy beer or tobacco products you will pay about double what you are used to and you will be helping to contribute to our "free" health care through taxes (thanks!).

Overall, a trip will be worth it!

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer to drive across our countries by going on the highways to the south, where fuel is less expensive. Years ago we did a lot of north-south travel, on our way to Mexico. In those earliest days, the exchange rate with the USD was terrible for Canadians, especially 2003. Lots of talk around Canada about whether or not we should adopt the U.S currency, as several countries like Ecuador, have done. Traveling through the U.S. from Canada in those days simply meant we didn't linger, but headed for Mexico. Our dollar then was pegged to be valued around 64 cents for a USD. Mexico was a nice change of pace where our money was worth more, and fuel for a gasoline engine was both less and more: lower price (and they used litros to our litres- not gallons) and better fuel - gas was not mixed with "other things." Many things are different nowadays, however.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Paoli wrote:
Always amazes me that people owning 100.000+ dollar RV's complain about the price of travelling.

I guess that, since I paid far less than $100k for my (used) RV, I may gripe about prices with impunity?

I won't, though, nor did I see much in this thread that I would call griping. The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question on relative costs and got some useful information. My own experience has matched the consensus: travel through Canada is a little more expensive on the whole than travel through the US, but not excessively so and with a good bit of variation for different regions and specific expenses.

Well said DrewE. My experience mirrors yours. Canada is a separate country from the US. Some, I think, forget this simple fact. Canada is a vastly beautiful country, as is the USA. I experienced pockets of very friendly people while traveling in Canada and places not unlike places in the US. Our costs were somewhat higher while in Canada, but we expected and budgeted for that.

Worth the price paid to experience the neighborly confines and local folklore of this beautiful country just north of our own.

Lakeside

Banff

Lake Louise

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Paoli wrote:
Always amazes me that people owning 100.000+ dollar RV's complain about the price of travelling.

I guess that, since I paid far less than $100k for my (used) RV, I may gripe about prices with impunity?

I won't, though, nor did I see much in this thread that I would call griping. The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question on relative costs and got some useful information. My own experience has matched the consensus: travel through Canada is a little more expensive on the whole than travel through the US, but not excessively so and with a good bit of variation for different regions and specific expenses.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Paoli wrote:

It's no different to houses, the initial capital cost many have upfront, but over time the "ongoing" running costs come to more than the income, so some folks need to cut their cloth to suit their wallet so to speak.

Also in all fairness there are some folks that thrive on the "frugality" game, and some feel, that the rigs are "their homes", so that is their priority not so much the travelling long distances or Resort costs.

Just saying, different folks beat to different drums, and as many have said, there's no one right way to RV.

Also let's not forget, that "things" happen in life - circumstances change with folks, sometimes through no fault of their own/unforeseen so .......... Let's live and let live eh?

Ironically the wealthiest folks I know, have had good steady, not high income paying jobs for many decades, and just always "paid themselves first" (Saving regularly). They typically live in the same 1000/1200 sq ft bungalow they bought decades earlier and drive 10+ year old reliable vehicles. They feel they've never denied themselves anything they've really needed, they just aren't driven by "consumerism ads".
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
People with some of the costly rigs cannot afford to go anywhere!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Paoli
Explorer
Explorer

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some data from our 2014 trip. Check the link in my signature for our Canada/Alaska route.

(My biggest complaint in
Canada was the cost of Canadian whiskey!)

7117 miles

- 472.2 gallons diesel fuel

- $2078.70 US diesel fuel (US dollars)

- $4.40 US per gallon diesel on average

- 15.1 miles per gallon of diesel

- 3.4 miles per US dollar. We're happy with that! It's significantly better than any of our lower 48 trips where we go faster and get lower mileage.

$25.35 average cost of an overnight stay. That's a bit on the high side since we didn't "boondock" as much as we could.

$5100 = total for diesel, RV/campground sites and ferry costs for the 8 weeks plus 1 day. That's not so bad for this fantastic vacation.
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We took a trip across Canada last year. The trip was exciting to see our neighbors. Many great places to visit. We entered near Yahk, BC, traveled on CAN 3 and Can 1 most of the way reentering the US near Pembroke, Maine.
Wwe did not find fuel(gas) that much different after conversion then our local area at the time.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
The last few years have been a great time for USD people to travel to Canada. I was very surprised at how few US tagged RVs I saw on Newfoundland in 2016 & how few again in Ontario last year.

Our media have been full of stories over the past year or so on all the American tourists pouring into Canada because of our low dollar.
I don't believe it! I have not seen a big increase in US plates in our local tourist area either. With many conversations over the years, both on line and in person, I find many, maybe most, Americans have no idea of the exchange rate factor. The RV sector would have more knowledge I would think.
I've confirmed this with talking to some of the merchants downtown in the tourist zone. They were saying that many tourists were surprised that we have our own currency, that change would be given back in Canadian dollars, couldn't understand how a purchase on their visa card would go through at a different amount and so on.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
kcfissel wrote:
When are the wild roses in bloom in Alberta?

Usually late May to early August, you'll see them most as you are out hiking. Adopted as our official emblem flower since 1930, sometimes called the Prickly Rose.

Been an interesting post to read, and I concur with others, YES it might cost a little more to travel within Canada than what you are used to in many parts of the USA, but you will miss out on some of the most majestic scenery and helpful kind people in the world if you let that stop you!

Likewise we would have done the same with your NYC, LA, San Fran, San Diego and others, if we'd let the higher costs to visit stop us, and that would have been a mortal sin in our books ๐Ÿ™‚

Ya'll come back ya hear
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fuel & CG rates are usually quoted inclusive of taxes. The USD is only 75-80 cents to the CDN $ depending on exchange rate of the day. The last few years have been a great time for USD people to travel to Canada. I was very surprised at how few US tagged RVs I saw on Newfoundland in 2016 & how few again in Ontario last year. Canada is a beautiful place with wonderful people. Everyone is born with a Tim Hortons cup permanently in one hand.

Some things are more. Fuel being one of them however you go into Canada with tanks full & try to come out near empty. It is a game to play. Grocery stores are different. You might need a looney to use a cart. They are more concerned about the enviroment. Take your own bags into the store. Some charge for packing bags.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
When are the wild roses in bloom in Alberta?
Ken

โ€œneedsโ€ and โ€œwantsโ€ are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskierโ€ฆ