cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Regulators to probe Goodyerar MH tire failures

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/01/02/regulators-open-probe-goodyear-motorhome-tire-failures/997330001/
12 REPLIES 12

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
So I don't often post in this section, when oprning up my browser this morning, I came across this article concerning G159 Tires. A search of the forum led me here. I don't have any skin in the game - just posting as info. Its a long article, but worth the read.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find it interesting that they are investigating tires that were built 15 years ago. Back in 1998 when I had 7 year old Michelins explode on me the top US quality guy for Michelin told me that was normal and I must be an idiot for having anything over 6 years old still in service. At the same time tire dealers with old inventory were claiming that their tires were just fine. It would be nice to come with some standards for how long tires should last. Until then I am not going to push mine more than 6 or 7 years.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Again, kind of a moot point. The G159's have been out of production for a LONG time.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

becker
Explorer
Explorer
When the investigation is complete, I hope someone will post the results. I don't use Goodyear, only Michelins but I am still interested.

Thanks.
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Investigating long after the ashes are cold and the bodies are buried.

Yep, many of the failures were in the late 90โ€™s and early 2000โ€™s. Why investigate now? I would sure hope there are not any on current MH.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Investigating long after the ashes are cold and the bodies are buried.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The G159's have not been sold for years. They explode!!! Did you notice the recall was for tires built up to 2003. That is 15 years ago. If you are running those horrible GY's you are playing with fire!!! They are like all GY's. Junk.

Moisheh

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Were the regulators not doing their job?

Bruce_Brown
Id still take a G159 over a Michelin!
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, I can't understand this at all and with all the tire threads on the net and the news flashes, would be full of this same thing, except for pertaining to the CHINESE junk, and no good for nothing, rather ride on the rims, putting your loved ones in jeopardy and in the face of death....BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!
Anyway, you and your family are safe and just as long as you buy US made and pay top dollar, cuz everyone knows, you always get what you pay for.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess they see a problem when the G159 tires, designed for delivery trucks, are used on RV's.