cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Asthma in Arizona

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We were south of Tucson for November and December, and now are in Casa Grande.

My December was horrible. It started with a bad cold. Then sinus infection, and now some type of asthma that isnโ€™t responding to a rescue inhaler. Every day I have some episodes. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow.

Anyway, has anyone here ever had a similar experience out here? Prior to this I have never had anything like this. At this point I am hoping itโ€™s asthma and not something worse.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
34 REPLIES 34

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Just to show No disrespect to Arizona, Valley Fever is in fact short for "San Joaquin Valley Fever"....commonly known as the birthplace and a very major contributor of the Fungus! Heck, my own introduction to it could have just as easily occurred in Bakersfield, where my brother lives.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
aguablanco wrote:
....... The air in Phoenix is, right now,very polluted. Some say worse than Beijing. .....
RichH

Some say almost anything to get a reaction. Do you really believe everything that "someone" says? I was in the Valley in the early 70s - when copper mines were running full bore and the sky was brown. No comparison. Does there get some times when an air alert is issued. Sure, but at no time is it anything like Beijing, nor LA of the late 60s, 70s.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Lived in AZ nearly 20 years and have never met anyone with Valley Fever or AZ induced Asthma. As one who gets 5 allergy shots a week, I was sicker from my allergies from where I move 20 years ago! If you have or get Asthma, you can and will suffer from it in many other locations outside of AZ.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
aguablanco wrote:
The air in Phoenix is, right now,very polluted. Some say worse than Beijing.
I've been to Beijing several times. Phoenix is not worse.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Part of the reason I enjoy being by (or on) a large body of water. I never thought I had allergies till I started fishing off a pier in the Atlantic.

While out on the pier I felt great. Once I came off the pier and headed inland I became stuffed up.

DW would get sick in FL from the pine pollen. We both get sick inland TX near the sugar cane burns. Neither got sick in AZ, but then we never spent a whole winter there.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
It happens because travelers aren't used to the different pollens. Same thing happens to us when in Florida. Also, it's not asthma that you have. It's new allergies which can produce sinus infections. You need to come to Arizona every year to get acclimated. ๐Ÿ™‚

I tend to agree. First time I visited Az, I got a very nasty bronchial something. Three years later, no problems.

Lived in Fl most of my life. Returned after being away for 3 years and got sick; my guess is mold and mildew, something that is hard to find in the desert SW.

Think the body has to build up antibodies and until you get past that, you have a good chance of getting sick.

Regardless, hope it all works out okay for ya.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
It is a fairly unusual problem but I for one have suffered from allergies for seventy years now and if I catch a winter cold, something in my area causes my allergies to flair up. After the cold has run it's course and if I haven't taken Zertex or something similar, my sinuses will drain and while I am asleep I aspirate the drainage. This irritates my bronchial tubes and I get a dry cough. While I have the cold I have a productive cough, post cold, I have a dry cough and it can last for several months.

When my nose starts running, allergies or cold, I take Zertex D. The rest of the year I take Zertex.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It happens because travelers aren't used to the different pollens. Same thing happens to us when in Florida. Also, it's not asthma that you have. It's new allergies which can produce sinus infections. You need to come to Arizona every year to get acclimated. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
What amazes me is how many people are affected, yet the causes are hard to nail down.

Guy next to us, his wife stayed back in Michigan this winter because of how bad she gets out here. Sheโ€™s been to doctors and even hospitalized, but they canโ€™t say the cause.

Guy across the street sounds like heck.

Whatever.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
CT scan showed some lingering sinus infection. The asthma and drainage has been improving a lot in the past two days. If it clears up, then good. If not, then antibiotics.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Geting raw honey from the area that you are staying at really helps the pollen alergies and it was used in severe burns, I used it on my 3rd degree burn instead of the expensive salve that the doctor perscribed, in any case my wife has pollen alergies and we always buy the local honey for her when we travel, at the end of the trips we just mix all the left over honey and finish it off.

Purchase the local honey, not the supermarket version that might be from a different area or a mixture that has been processed and has no effect on the allergy.

navegator

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jhlady wrote:
Snowman9000,

I had the same problem when I first got to Arizona for the winter many years ago. The types of plants and allergens in Arizona are a lot different than the Northwest or Mid-west. I am not a doctor, but unless you have a medical reason not to or your doctor advises against it, I would start taking over the counter anti-allergy pills such as Zyrtec etc. and see if your symptoms improve. I buy the generic version at Costco. If so, stay on them until you leave. I have gotten to where I take them nightly regardless of where I wander and it seems to keep things in check. Hope this helps.

John

We take Costco version of Alegria https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Aller-Fex-180-mg.%2C-180-Tablets.product.100299849.html, it seems to keep the dessert crud in check for both of us.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
jhlady wrote:
Snowman9000,

I had the same problem when I first got to Arizona for the winter many years ago. The types of plants and allergens in Arizona are a lot different than the Northwest or Mid-west.

We Snowbird in FL - and all the pollen here has caused me to sneeze/eyes water/cough each visit. Two years ago it developed into bronchitis - ugh. I remembered reading somewhere that eating raw honey from the area where you live, will expose you to the pollen of the area so that you grow less sensitized to it? So this year we located a local raw honey source - Ed stirs it into his coffee; I simply down a spoonful every morning. I think it is helping! At worst, we have some great-tasting honey ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Doc suspects a sinus problem but is going to test general things, basically all the routine blood tests as one would get in a physical. Also testing for Valley Fever. I had a cat scan of sinuses today. Blood tests tomorrow, back to doctor Friday.