cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When Is The Florida Migration At Its Peak?

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
When is the busiest time for folks going south to FL and returning north from FL?
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
18 REPLIES 18

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
When I lived just south of Melbourne / Palm bay the peak started right about now until May.......right after Christmas. If I could of, I would of came back to PA for those months. It basically sucked.

Last week I picked a friend up at the Orlando Airport - she had been unable to get a rental. As we drove east on the 528 tollway, I pointed out the backup of cars waiting to pay their toll, and I said "there's your rental cars!" (Granted, Christmas Break is always busy for Orlando)

I have an interesting story to piggy back onto yours.

I managed a job transfer from cold country to Orlando in 1998. I worked in an office where several folks worked weekend second jobs. One guy was a driver for one of the major car rental places - don't remember if it was Avis, Thrifty, etc. He drove one of the big buses between the airport and the car rental office. One day I asked him how many cars they have in their fleet at Orlando. He made me guess, I said 5000 ? He said 25,000 - and they run out at Christmas time. Remember that was just ONE of the car rental places in Orlando. That's the main reason I try to avoid 528 when I'm in Orlando - They're all newbies trying to figure out the toll plazas and find the exit to head for Disney.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
clayway wrote:
I have posted before, I am in the Florida tourism business, I canโ€™t speak for arrivals because they are really pretty spread out, but without a doubt the biggest exodus starts the weeks following Easter & the interesting part of this is does not seem to matter whether Easter is late or early

As a worker on the Illinois highways,we always noted the huge number of RV's headed north on or about April 3. The thrifty snowbirds wanted to get their whole month's worth of rent in March and it takes two or three days to get to Central Illinois.

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
I have posted before, I am in the Florida tourism business, I canโ€™t speak for arrivals because they are really pretty spread out, but without a doubt the biggest exodus starts the weeks following Easter & the interesting part of this is does not seem to matter whether Easter is late or early

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Since the third week of January is usually the coldest time up north, guess when the most people are looking for warmer weather? Doesn't take a rocket scientist.

As an aside,the peak "tourist" season in Florida is June, again for obvious reasons.

John_I_Haggerty
Explorer
Explorer
Our parks peak season is the first couple of weeks in February.
2008 Keystone Cougar 31BHS

2008 Ram 3500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
Inferno Red, Khaki leather, CTD, 68RFE
Trailer tow, Anti-spin, Sunroof, Tube steps, DVD based GPS, etc...

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
When I lived just south of Melbourne / Palm bay the peak started right about now until May.......right after Christmas. If I could of, I would of came back to PA for those months. It basically sucked.

Last week I picked a friend up at the Orlando Airport - she had been unable to get a rental. As we drove east on the 528 tollway, I pointed out the backup of cars waiting to pay their toll, and I said "there's your rental cars!" (Granted, Christmas Break is always busy for Orlando)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a winter home in Florida. There are about 6 other Snowbird home owners near me.

LOL. All 6 of them just pulled in this weekend! Which is WAY earlier than they normally come down.

That frigid weather up North must have sent them flying South a whole lot sooner!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Not in Florida but our biggest wave is the week after Thanksgiving and second biggest the week after Christmas. We arrive mid October.
pawatt

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
My dad is in his 4th year doing the snowbird thing and has settled into a mid-October to early May pattern. This 6 month minimum has allowed him to change his residency to FL along with itโ€™s associated benefits vs NY. His condo complex remains at about 50% occupancy until after the holidays. NOW is the peak snowbird period as owners will continue to pile in over the next 10 days. Nearly all will be gone by May 1. The limits on our Canadien friends are a nuisance for most.
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
The busiest week here in the Keys is between Christmas and New Years.
The migration starts in early November and then ends in early April.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you when they all leave!

May.

Like clockwork, like someone flips a switch, the temperature in Florida goes from livable to sweltering hot humid 90's May 1st and the Snowbird's take flight back up North. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I think April 1 starts the trip home. Income taxes are due usually around April 15.

... could never understand this???? You don't have to be 'home' to file taxes.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there is any set time. Folks go to Florida for Winter, and come home in Spring. Then in Spring, you've got approximately 6 weeks of Spring Breakers. After that, you've got the Summer vacationers. Seems there is ALWAYS a migration to Florida any any time!