cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HITCH WON'T RELEASE...UPDATE UPDATE..........

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
OK got back from a short trip and went to unhook the trailer and I cannot get the hitch to release from the ball. I have had problems with another trailer but after bouncing and kicking it it would eventually release. This time I greased the ball and under the hitch before hooking up, drove home and would not release for nothing. just had to pull the pin and drive the truck away to disconnect, but as u can see the hitch ball still will not come out.
The hitch is a EQUILIZER SWAY CONTROL BRAND, IF THAT HELPS. PICTURE IS A LITTLE DISTORTED, WILL TRY TO REPOST IF IT WOULD HELP FIND A SOLUTION.

WHATS MY PROBLEM if anyone knows??????
thanks

? Did you read the FTS "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
    Forum Technical Support (FTS) is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
    member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using FTS for RV related
    questions. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

40 REPLIES 40

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
I have that same latch on my new cargo trailer,
It has stuck twice.
Each time was when the temps dropped big time after a snow or rain. moisture on it froze and that kept it from releasing,
Take a hammer and tap lightly to push the latch back in the direction it would normally be going.
Would actually see little ice pieces fall out as I did it.

Good suggestion also, I bet u better keep that hammer handy this week from what I see on the weather reports out here u guys are in for some dosey of a cold spell... It was a lil chilly here today, only a high of 68, lol. JUST KIDDING, I am from JOYSEY and know how cold it can get. GOOD LUCK.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have that same latch on my new cargo trailer,
It has stuck twice.
Each time was when the temps dropped big time after a snow or rain. moisture on it froze and that kept it from releasing,
Take a hammer and tap lightly to push the latch back in the direction it would normally be going.
Would actually see little ice pieces fall out as I did it.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for ur help and suggestions and comments. Always come to the right place to get my questions answered and other suggestions.
THANKS

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Don't feel too embarrassed because you are not the first person to have that issue.

Truth! How do you think we all KNOW and even have a favorite way to do it? Been there, done that! Now pass it on :C

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
36guy wrote:
For you guys that like to grease the ball,remember that it's a double edged sword. Yes it lowers resistance between the hitch and ball, but the grease is also an attractant for dirt, and there's a lot of it thrown up off the ground by the truck and the wind created between the two vehicles.
Personally, I have never used grease in the forty odd years of pulling trailers and have yet to see any damage from it. Just food for thought.

Bulldog hitches recommend greasing the ball pocket. See under MAINTENANCE Bulldog Instructions
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Don't feel too embarrassed because you are not the first person to have that issue. I was at a CG near Myrtle Beach and some people pulled into the site next to us and he starts to disconnect and I see him yanking and tugging to get the trailer to let go of the ball. I stepped over and asked if he needed some help......said they had borrowed the trailer and he did not know how to get it to let go. I showed him how the latch worked and I could see he was s little embarrassed because it was so simple. Told him How should he know if he was not shown and told him if he had any other questions to just ask, no problem. It gets easier as it goes...

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Cool thanks for the post back.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear the OP has solved this and add for others and future reference

Below quote from an old comment and add...

Backing up moves the ball out of the front coupler hemisphere
...where it goes below the ball equator to keep the ball from moving down and out

The rear portion of the coupler dome has nothing to hole the ball except for the latch pawl.

Undoing the latch removes that interference to allow the ball to move backwards. Again, why backing up with the trailer tires blocked and unlatched allows the ball to come out of the front couple dome

This image shows one type of latch, but they all (most) look like this

This image is of the flat stop on top of most balls and is to allow the ball to move rear wards, out of the coupler dome capture area

HITCH BALL STUCK IN TRAILER TOUNGE

benk wrote:

Posted: 12/09/10 07:27pm

I've had a few experiences with this on various trailers.

First, you know how 'most' couplers work? That might help understand how/why it is
stuck

The forward portion of the coupler (towards the TV) is 'cupped' with the bottom
end of the 'round' complete enough to go 'underneath' the ball's lower hemisphere

Meaning it won't allow the coupler to move up and off of the ball.

The latch has a 'tang' or 'pawl' that goes underneath the rear of the ball.

This 'tang' or 'pawl' is most likely stuck and/or the ball is still 'up' against
the couple's 'cup'

The latch should have an adjustment to tighten or loosen that 'tang'/'pawl'. If
you haven't, try squirting some sort of frozen bolt whatever into that.

Finally, I'd just take the balls nut off and then work on it
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
For you guys that like to grease the ball,remember that it's a double edged sword. Yes it lowers resistance between the hitch and ball, but the grease is also an attractant for dirt, and there's a lot of it thrown up off the ground by the truck and the wind created between the two vehicles.
Personally, I have never used grease in the forty odd years of pulling trailers and have yet to see any damage from it. Just food for thought.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
joelyn wrote:
OK, may have found out my problem. Won't know for sure until our next trip.

I found out that once I lift that handle to disconnect I ALSO HAVE TO PUSH IT BACKWARDS WHICH RELEASES THE LATCH UNDERNEATH, (DUUUUHHHH) I NEVER KNEW THAT AND I WAS JUST PULLING THE HANDLE UP THINKING THAT THAT WAS RELEASING THE LATCH UNDERNEATH.
so I also tried it on my other trailer that would never release and that one also just slid back and released the latch.

Ah yup!!!! That was why I was asking if this was maybe a new trailer and what the coupler looks like. This same coupler got me. I have towed many trailers before but not with this coupler until I bought a camper. That little lift hande slides back towards the trailer.... It will not pivot full up like other ball couplers.

We had a big discussion on this ball coupler a while ago. I made a cross section picture of how it works. See here

Glad you have it figured out now.

Hope this helps

John

THATS EXACTLY WHAT i have. so by just pulling up on the release it was never letting go of the ball.
good illustration, THANKS.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
joelyn wrote:
I ALSO HAVE TO PUSH IT BACKWARDS WHICH RELEASES THE LATCH UNDERNEATH, (DUUUUHHHH)

Old Biscuit called it back on page 1.

Glad you got it figured out.

Kinda interesting you've been a member for 15 years but haven't towed a trailer before now? Are you a reformed motorhomer? If so, welcome to the best side (grin).

Mike

LOL, yes that is what we are. we had a motorhome for 16 years and just started to get to expensive to fix since things were starting to go. so we sold it and our toe jeep and got a truck and now we have TT. Miss the motorhome but kind of starting to like the TT now...
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME ABOARD..................

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
joelyn wrote:
OK, may have found out my problem. Won't know for sure until our next trip.

I found out that once I lift that handle to disconnect I ALSO HAVE TO PUSH IT BACKWARDS WHICH RELEASES THE LATCH UNDERNEATH, (DUUUUHHHH) I NEVER KNEW THAT AND I WAS JUST PULLING THE HANDLE UP THINKING THAT THAT WAS RELEASING THE LATCH UNDERNEATH.
so I also tried it on my other trailer that would never release and that one also just slid back and released the latch.

Ah yup!!!! That was why I was asking if this was maybe a new trailer and what the coupler looks like. This same coupler got me. I have towed many trailers before but not with this coupler until I bought a camper. That little lift hande slides back towards the trailer.... It will not pivot full up like other ball couplers.

We had a big discussion on this ball coupler a while ago. I made a cross section picture of how it works. See here

Glad you have it figured out now.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelyn wrote:
I ALSO HAVE TO PUSH IT BACKWARDS WHICH RELEASES THE LATCH UNDERNEATH, (DUUUUHHHH)

Old Biscuit called it back on page 1.

Glad you got it figured out.

Kinda interesting you've been a member for 15 years but haven't towed a trailer before now? Are you a reformed motorhomer? If so, welcome to the best side (grin).

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like the same coupler type we have on our Jayco except ours is inverted. When we brought the trailer home, I couldn't get it to release the ball. I fought with it for hours and finally found a small BB sized splatter of weld had fallen into the pivot point of the "yoke?" that holds the ball. Almost impossible to see. Just about as hard to fish out. Since then it's worked great.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'