Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Shower Drain Fix (5er Storage issue)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Shower Drain Fix (5er Storage issue)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well after fighting an issue with our shower drain blocking much needed storage space in our basement I finally fixed the issue.
The issue was the drain line and trap blocked a considerable area of the basement.
The fix was to relocate the drain line to the side wall, and the trap was relocated to the front wall. In addition we also got a better slope on the line to the tank as the old line was almost flat or slightly uphill to the trap.

This not only opens up the basement, now the P trap is removable for cleaning! [emoticon]

This is the old line blocking a good portion of the basement space.

[image]

[image]

This is the realigned drain and relocated trap, out of the way!

[image]

[image]

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,RV 275's Bilstein 5100's, 313K miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 20,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Wild Card

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good idea. Mine is like that as well. Trap takes up alot of room. Its on my todo list this winter

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Appears to be very nice work.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good job! Very neat and professional.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah why would the customer want unobstructed room in his basement. Good job.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great job...much smarter.
Just make sure it doesn't leak onto that electrical box that is right beneath it.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 11:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Hi, great job; Makes you wonder what the heck they were thinking, or not thinking, when they built this.

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/17 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did something similar under my kitchen sink in the TT. My sink has a large bowl on the left side and a smaller Bowl on the right side that was about half the size of the left. The P-trap was on the left side of the cabinet. The drain line then ran straight to the left to a T with the air admittance valve on top of the T. The line then ran down and turned under the stove to run to the tank. This created a loss of about 30% of the storage capacity under the sink.

I completely removed the short radius elbow where the pipe turned under the stove and cut the pipe between the P-trap and the T. I then moved the portion of pipe with the T and air admittance valve to the left rear corner under the cabinet at the same height with the horizontal portion of pipe running against the wall. I disconnected the piping from the drains under the sink and flipped it 180 degrees with the P-trap on the right side under the small sink bowl. I then turned the P-trap so it went towards the wall and ran along the side of the cabinet drawers. I then installed two pieces of pipe, a long radius elbow and two couplings to reconnect the P-trap to the T and air admittance valve horizontal pipe. I then reconnected the vertical pipe below the T and air admittance valve to the pipe under the stove with a necessary pipe and elbows.

gregirish1954

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/17 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice fix! It's annoying that the manufacture's consistently opt for quick and cheap rather than well-thought-out and only slightly more expensive.

I've always been puzzled as to why waterless traps, which are pretty common in Europe, have not caught on here in the states and Canada. Seems like they would be a no-brainer for RV's, don't require much vertical space and are already winterized.

waterless trap

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/17 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gregirish1954 wrote:

Nice fix! It's annoying that the manufacture's consistently opt for quick and cheap rather than well-thought-out and only slightly more expensive.

I've always been puzzled as to why waterless traps, which are pretty common in Europe, have not caught on here in the states and Canada. Seems like they would be a no-brainer for RV's, don't require much vertical space and are already winterized.

waterless trap

I see two reasons, one is cost $30 compared to about $7 for a standard trap. The other would be if anything get stuck in the lips of the trap order can get through.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Shower Drain Fix (5er Storage issue)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS