cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace Thermostat

k9jadon
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, I am wondering if anyone of you has ever changed your furnace thermostat, how easy or difficult it was? Ours is very annoying, when you think it is on its off, and there are just slashes to indicate temperature. I would like to upgrade to a model that is more intuitive in relation to "set" temperature and one that you can easily tell if it is on or off. I've changed the thermostat in my home, are TT thermostats more or less the same? Anyway, thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used the same Lux one that DrewE did, and am very happy with it. The backlight turns on when you hit any button and is quite bright (blue!).

It's still under $20 at Home Depot, and they will ship to a store for free.

I liked the ability to change the temperature swing, but haven't actually changed it.

It's easy & cheap - do it!

**Edit**... looks like it's out of stock at HD...

CC

Road-Trekker
Explorer
Explorer
Used this Heat Only Thermostat in the past and it works, it's battery powered with backlight, looks good and compact.
Roadtrek Agile SS: Roadtrek Modifications

Rustofer
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced our nasty Atwood thermostat with an Aube TH-135 that we had on hand. Because the Aube does not have an integrated on/off switch, I wired in a household light switch. The minimum setting on the new thermostat is 5 deg C, so it needed the switch for when it's not being used in colder weather.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I installed this one. It has a separate on/off switch. Displays set temperature and room temperature.
Emerson Thermostat

X2

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
You still haven't provided any information as to what model units and thermostat you have so no one will be able to answer your question. Some of the older Mach AC and propane heater combinations with Intellitec thermostats can only be changed by doing a major rewiring. Others are a simple fix.

The OP already said - "It only controls the furnace, since we do not have A/C in the trailer." Pretty obvious it's just a simple circuit closure to fire the furnace.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The simple thermostats are easily changed out with a house unit, since the simple ones merely complete a circuit to fire the furnace. I, too, have done this, using a thermostat with its own battery. The bonus for me was that the house thermostat not only reports/controls with actual temperatures, it also allows for setting temperatures as low as 40ยฐF, which is perfect for minimal propane usage while unoccupied. Installation was a breeze, couple screws in the wall and connect the two wires to the appropriate terminals.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
You still haven't provided any information as to what model units and thermostat you have so no one will be able to answer your question. Some of the older Mach AC and propane heater combinations with Intellitec thermostats can only be changed by doing a major rewiring. Others are a simple fix. But you need to provide more info before anyone can do more than guess what you need. Chuck

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
k9jadon wrote:
I will look into a new digital one, with it's own battery. It only controls the furnace, since we do not have A/C in the trailer.

I chose a Honeywell RTH5100B because it offers a back lit screen that's really easy to see in dim light.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I did, not too many days ago, for both the furnace and AC. It was generally straightforward. A furnace only job would be simpler as there are fewer wires to contend with--likely only two, in fact. They would be connected to R and W (or Rh and W if you have Rh and Rc separately on the thermostat). The standard naming of wires and connections for thermostats is rather obtuse.

This thread has my description and a picture (and a handful of other mods I've done sort of recently). Maybe it will be helpful. The Lux thermostat I used is $18 or so on Amazon.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I installed this one. It has a separate on/off switch. Displays set temperature and room temperature.
Emerson Thermostat

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

k9jadon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I will look into a new digital one, with it's own battery. It only controls the furnace, since we do not have A/C in the trailer.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure exactly what your looking for. The most common upgrade by RVer's is moving from old fashion analog to digital thermostat's which are more accurate. Installing new thermostat is pretty easy affair - especially if you purchase one that uses it's own power source (battery). Lots of Youtube videos on thermostat installs.
Kevin

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many have updated.
Need to know what make and model you have and what it controls.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker